PDA

View Full Version : What Books Next to Your Bed?

Barkly1992
25th Jul 2006, 11:33
OK prooners - tell me about yourselves. What books are next to your bed - not the ones you pretend - but the real ones.

Mine are incredibly boring - like - well I will put them up after U.

:p

Spui18
25th Jul 2006, 11:42
'Che Guevara'
and
'De kok en de tuinman' (the cook and the gardener)

I blame the Americans :rolleyes:

after me, Barkly

keyboard flier
25th Jul 2006, 11:48
I'm reading Immediate Action - Andy McNab

Kestrel_909
25th Jul 2006, 11:50
Long Way Round, Chasing Shadows Across the World , Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's adventure riding from London to New York.

G-CPTN
25th Jul 2006, 11:51
PPRuNe JetBlast!

Kestrel_909
25th Jul 2006, 11:56
PPRuNe JetBlast!

Does it come in hardback edition? I can't fit the PC beside the bed:sad:

eal401
25th Jul 2006, 11:58
Long Way Round, Chasing Shadows Across the World
A cracking read, the TV series is worth a watch too.

I've gone "retro" and am re-reading "The Hunt for Red October."

green granite
25th Jul 2006, 12:07
Does it come in hardback edition? I can't fit the PC beside the bed:sad:

get a laptop then :)

Cheerio
25th Jul 2006, 12:08
The Ancestors Tale by Richard Dawkins - about 1/2 way through. I read aloud to Mrs C every night.

Next up will be The Cloudspotters Guide by Gavin Pretor-Pinney

I have droned through enough classics chosen by Mrs C to last a lifetime, so I'm choosing right now!

Kestrel_909
25th Jul 2006, 12:10
A cracking read, the TV series is worth a watch too.
I've gone "retro" and am re-reading "The Hunt for Red October."

I watched the series on Sky in January and February 05 each night, one of the few things I made time to sit down and watch. I was off sick at the time and had hit a rather low point, and found it quite meaningful, there's more to life than the rat race.

Bought the DVD and two copies of the book, they take up a special place in my shelves.

The Hunt for Red October? :} Let them sing... <In my best Sean impression>

ChocksAwayUK
25th Jul 2006, 12:13
Douglas Coupland's jPod and Handling The Big Jets.... eclecticity for you right there.

rotated
25th Jul 2006, 12:14
幕末の桑名 (近代ニッポンの基礎を築いた桑名のサムライたち) :hmm:

Also reading the Narnia series to Jr. for beddie bye story...

AcroChik
25th Jul 2006, 12:46
Shuffle according to mood:

The Moral Animal: Why we are the way we are: the new science of evolutionary psychology, by Robert Wright. Possibly the best book I've read in five years.

The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis. A masterwork. I've read this book several times.

Scaramouche: A romance of the French Revolution, by Rafael Sabatini (unabridged edition by The Akadine Press). Sabatini, born to an Italian father and English mother, and who wrote exclusively in English, was also the author of Captain Blood. This wonderful book's opening line: "He was born with a gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." It just keeps getting better and better from then on.

My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance, by Emanuel Derman (life-long family friend and now mentor).

and last but far from least...

The wedding-planning, list-making, list-checking, party-organizing tome I bought, that while being really helpful is also enervating because it's written for women with the minds of children. Being the bride-to-be requires a certain amount of strategic support.

Parapunter
25th Jul 2006, 12:52
:rolleyes: Jeez. Lighten up will ya?

Maybe poke around at the funny papers or somethin.:ugh:

The SSK
25th Jul 2006, 12:58
By the bed? '100 diabolical Soduku puzzles' (currently on no. 93).

I do most of my quality reading in the loo. I've just started George Eliot's 'Middlemarch'. It's going to be a long job...

UniFoxOs
25th Jul 2006, 13:02
All right, I admit it - Kama Sutra.

UFO

Buster Hyman
25th Jul 2006, 13:06
"A guide to Schizophrenia"...although I don't remember putting it there.:confused:

Also "Flight of the Night hawks"

planeenglish
25th Jul 2006, 13:06
Hello all,

I have two; one is called "speeches that changed the world" and "The FAA Airplane Flying Handbook".

Baci,
PE

colmac747
25th Jul 2006, 13:15
None. I can't be anymore specific than that.

:}

Kestrel_909
25th Jul 2006, 13:18
None. I can't be anymore specific than that.
:}

No books, how about magazines? :E

colmac747
25th Jul 2006, 13:20
None!

Missus Colmac is currently reading a free copy of SAGA magazine(wtf?..she's not even of that age group)...oh how i take the p!ss out of her:p

EGBKFLYER
25th Jul 2006, 13:25
Johnnie Johnson's Wing Leader, The Compleat Taildragger Pilot by Plourde, Never Get Lost, Thaler.

AcroChik
25th Jul 2006, 13:27
PlaneEnglish...

Speeches That Changed the World :ok: :ok:

That's a great anthology of amazing words by fascinating (both heroic and hideous) people. For instance, I'd never read a speech by Adolph Hitler. Hair-raising! And, shame on me, I'd never read a full speech by Winston Churchill.

I went on from there to find a collection of Churchill's speeches compiled by his grandson. Facsimiles of the original typescript of some speeches showed that he typed them out as poetry. Surely, if there was a more poetic orator in English in the 20th century, I've never heard of her or him.

lexxity
25th Jul 2006, 14:01
Continental Drifter by Tim Moore. Nowhere near as good as French Revolutions.

frostbite
25th Jul 2006, 14:44
'How to stop wetting your bed'

Only kidding! (I hope)

milehigh2020
25th Jul 2006, 14:53
"THE GOAL " by Eliyahu M. Goldratt and Jeff Cox

...have just started reading it :p

Foss
25th Jul 2006, 15:24
'Road Fever' by Tim Cahill, he's trying to drive from Tierra del Fuego to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska in 23 and a half days, and set a world record. I'd get car sick. And forget my passport.

'The worst journey in the world' is always a good read. (By Apsley Cherry Gerrard) Part of the Scott expediton. He was trying to find an egg. It makes me feel chilly just reading it.

Fos

planeenglish
25th Jul 2006, 15:48
PlaneEnglish...
Speeches That Changed the World :ok: :ok:
That's a great anthology of amazing words by fascinating (both heroic and hideous) people. For instance, I'd never read a speech by Adolph Hitler. Hair-raising! And, shame on me, I'd never read a full speech by Winston Churchill.
I went on from there to find a collection of Churchill's speeches compiled by his grandson. Facsimiles of the original typescript of some speeches showed that he typed them out as poetry. Surely, if there was a more poetic orator in English in the 20th century, I've never heard of her or him.

Yep, fantastic mover that Churchill. I must admit though, I was moved by Shirley Chisolm's speech and that of Gen. Douglas MacArthur even more. I had another book, even more complete, of famous speeches that was lost in a separation (he got the books and the cds, I got my freedom :ok: ) and have been looking for it in shops, but have yet to find it. :(

This one is a much smaller collection but includes Malcolm X, Clarence Darrow and so many more that I had never even been aware of. I usually say "oh, I'll just read a few passages" and then get lost for almost an hour. Bed time reading it is not, maybe I should read a fiction novel, that should bore me.:zzz:

Best,

PE

TnT.......
25th Jul 2006, 15:57
This one:

Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Paperback)
by Kevin Wells (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-keywords=Kevin%20Wells/202-3381420-3967846)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0340897910.02._PE20_OU02_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/0340897910/ref=dp_image_text_0/202-3381420-3967846?ie=UTF8)
and Pride and Preds

Carry0nLuggage
25th Jul 2006, 17:24
Miss Smilla's Feeling For Snow for the nth time
A Time of gifts, ditto
Elbert - Introduction to Satellite Communication
Assorted Nikon manuals and brochures
Photgraphic magazines (Far too many in Ms. C0L's view)
Trawler - Redmon O'Hanlon

miazaky
25th Jul 2006, 18:09
(Horatio) Nelson by Terry Coleman

Jimmy Macintosh
25th Jul 2006, 18:21
Bible.

Yeager, Autobiography, bit slow at the beginning, hoping it will pick up.

Silent Witness, tries for tension but at the moment is a bit predictable, though that probably means there's a ridiculous twist later on.

Dogs of Babel, 'novel' idea :hmm: , interesting enough, want to find out what's going to happen next but am not gripped by it.

First Team, (Larry Bond and some other guy) ok, the book's not to the same standard as the other books I've read in this genre.

Soduku, times collection of diabolical puzzles. (the easy, intermediate and hard books are in the office)

Running with scissors, not opened it yet though.

Keyboard flyer, as a side note, When reading immediate action I also read Frank Collins "Baptism of Fire" (out of print now) both immediate action and Baptism of fire have a couple of coincident chapters and it was fascinating to read the same situation from two viewpoints (His nickname was 'Blondie')

Civis
25th Jul 2006, 19:13
Have posted some of these before.
As one sleeps in different places these are spread out betwixt four beds but highly recommended depending on your tastes.

First is a homage to FSL Draper's personal recommendation on life in the age of sail - an original in CRM for you aviators:

" The Last Grain Race " by Eric Newby
Not by me beds but a cracking good look at reality. Been lent out so many times have no idea whose bed it's by now.

For the Prunette's and anyone interested in a woman's perspective from the dark side of modern life:

" The Complete Poems " by Anne Sexton - Pulitzer Prize

" The Unabridged Journals of Slyvia Plath "

Sexton & Plath were comtemporaries and both died by their own hands.
Amazon for reviews to see if you have the belly for them, not for those on medication.

On the lighter ladies side and combo fiction / autobiograph:

" Heartburn " by Nora Ephrom ( Ephron sp ??) - Hilarious look at impossible
relationships, group therapy, etc.

Factual History from # 1 son at Uni:

" The Savage Wars of Peace " by Max Boot

" Decision at Sea " Five Naval Battles That Shaped American History
by Craig L. Symonds 1833-1988 Leadership and Strategy

" Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid " by Douglas R. Hofstadter
A Metaphorical Fugue on Minds and Machines in the Spirit of Lewis Carrol
This one is timeless and can be revisited in perpetuity

"The Physics of Consciousness " by Evan Harris Walker
The Quantum Mind and the Meaning of Life

" The Elagant Universe " by Brian Greene
Good intro to cosmology and String Theory - Very Short

" Just Six Numbers " ( forget author ). Very short and simplistic intro to
the known universe.

Anything by " Thomas Merton ", a converted Catholic Contemplative.
Suggest Amazoning reviews of his work. Start with:

" The Seven Story Mountain " and " No Man is an Island "

No, I'm not catholic but for those searching or wondering these works
may hit some nerves. Thinking of Mr. Davaar's and Madam Bluey's JB
threads on " Carpenterism " and " What Do You Believe " from the recent
past. Threads which one thoroughly enjoyed and felt unqualified to
participate in. To all that did post on those, my appreciation for your
thoughts and convictions.

" Shorter OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY " Fith Edition - Two Volumes

No literate English speaking hairless ape should be without these!! Such
a rich heritage we have. Caveat, don't have spell checker installed or the
Oxford by Prooning chair so forgive errors above.

RaraAvis
25th Jul 2006, 19:17
Rather eclectic mix as always:
"Elective Affinities" by Goethe, umpteenth time...
Biography of Marie Curie by Robert Reid,
"Zorba The Greek" by Nikos Kazantzakis, on it's second run :ok:
"Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" - vintage Robbins:E
"The Book Of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi
....and Byron, Selected Poetry.
Methinks it's the perfect time to re-read "Into Thin Air" by Krakauer, bazillion degrees below zero seems strangely attractive just about now........:suspect::O

planeenglish
25th Jul 2006, 19:26
:} :E :ok: The title of this thread is which books have you "next to your bed". Do you people have all these books next to your bed? Do you know what a bed is for?

Don't get me wrong, I began my academic career following library sciences studies. I love books. I read all the time, but next to my bed are two books (one that travels everywhere I go) and the rest are on the bookshelves.

Who has to dust these books? :ugh: Sheesh. :rolleyes:

:) :p PE

B Fraser
25th Jul 2006, 19:27
"Forever Flying" by Bob Hoover. A terrific book for aeronauts of all descriptions however being one of our transAtlantic cousins, he reveals that Lindberg was the first to cross the pond :confused:

First transAtlantic solo, Charlie L bagged this without a doubt and a fine achievement it was too but first to make the crossing in a single hop........ I think not :=

Next books are either "Faster Than The Sun" by Peter Twiss or "Carrying The Fire" by Michael Collins.

When the Europeans achieve the first solo Moon landing, perhaps we can claim to be the first to walk on the Moon..... period :rolleyes:

Buster Cherry
25th Jul 2006, 19:30
Reg Kray... A way of life.
John Daly`s Biography
Also, the very naughty Dave Courtney`s `F**k the ride`.:ouch:

AcroChik
25th Jul 2006, 19:30
Civis...

A strong :ok: :ok: for anything written by Brian Greene. He's a lucid and sometimes even poetic writer on the nature of the universe we find ourselves in. Brian's a professor of physics and mathematics at Columbia University here in NYC. I had two classes with him. They were brilliant, transformational. Forget about Brian's forays into television (he had a go at trying to be Carl Sagan); his on-camera persona isn't compelling. He's a genius in the classroom.

I've read Eric Newby's, A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush. It's a marvelous excursion. No doubt The Last Grain Race is as informative and entertaining. It's on my short list.

Just Six Numbers is by Martin Rees. It's a wonderful explication of how a mere six numbers, from Pi to the Golden Mean, set the terms for the construction of our world and universe. If they were only a teeny bit different, the universe itself wouldn't exist. I first picked this up in 2001 when it was just published, and set it down because of distractions. It warrants revisiting.

Great suggestions in other topics as well! Very nice list!

There are over 100 great reading suggestions in this thread. If only there were time!

pigboat
25th Jul 2006, 20:13
Destination Disaster - From the Tri-motor To The DC-10 by Paul Eddy, Elaine Potter and Bruce Page.

About aircraft accidents in general, but specifically the THY DC-10 crash in the Forest of Ermenonville on March 3rd 1974. A re-read actually, since somebody nicked my copy years ago and I've only just found a used copy from a friend who owns a publishing company who also sells used books.

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. Great read.

Grumman Mallard - The Enduring Classic by Fred Hotson and Matthew Rodina. Probably the best study of the Mallard ever put together. They only ever built 59 of 'em and the authors track every one. The pictures alone are worth the price of the book. Fred probably has 10,000 hours on the airplane, having flown sn #2 for nearly 20 years.

Civis
25th Jul 2006, 20:33
Yes, My Cyber Friend, one does know what a bed is for, several activities come to mind. Practical, sporting, academic and otherwise.

To respond to your challenge the following two are currently in active bedside use:
Completely forgot about them as ones mind wandered to more
pleasant readings.

1. " Farewell to Reason " by Paul K. Feyerabend

Feyerabend is the father of the " Against Method " and arch
rival of Karl Poppers " Scientific Discovery "

Epistimological Anarchy and Iconoclasim at it's finest!!

On me third attempt to actually wade through the main body,
( can only take short sessions of it, brain fade ).
If you have access to it start on the fifth section of the last
chapter ( a 15 minute read ) and see if it rattles yer cranium-I think
it will. Covers the philosophy of so called science from Greek
period through modern times and some of the unintended
consequences of progress.

2. " Culture at Work in Aviation and Medicine "
National, Orginizational and Professional Influences
by Robert L Helmreich and Ashleigh C. Merritt

This is basic social anthropology on causualties and human
screwups. A good read for those engaged in perilous endeavors
with other humanoids. Rather follows a quote one read on the
safety forum ascribed to a RAF C-130 training Captian who said
" I'm going to kill you because you're going to let me ".

Most of the other titles in me above post are in the sea cabin at trauma towers. One has the good fortune to work with new academic types with 10+ years of higher education and on a slow day we may have several hours to engage after crew briefs. Nice to see what the young minds of today think and where their interests / core values lie. The aforementioned library actually is well used and frequently borrowed so doesn't need much dusting. On occasion a sexual intellectual is encountered ( that's a fecking know it all ). When they get really pedant
one hands them a copy of the " I Ching " ( english translation of the german translation of the chinese ) and gives them a two week challenge to see what " I Ching " has to say about it. Great fun had by all.

Spui18
25th Jul 2006, 20:43
Pigboat
Destination Disaster - From the Tri-motor To The DC-10 by Paul Eddy, Elaine Potter and Bruce Page.
Great book, but put it into perspective. Technically, spot on that book!:ok:

SimplyTommo
25th Jul 2006, 20:50
Currently I have Posession - by A S Byatt. its not my kind of book really, but it is homework for my A level English course that I start in September.
Another book currently under my bed (of my own choice) is Without Mercy - by Jack Higgins, one of his Sean Dillon thrillers.

Flyingspaniard
25th Jul 2006, 21:08
Just read 'May Contain Nuts' by John O'Farrell (hilarious) and now trying to finish Catch 22 that been gathering dust since I started and failed to complete it when I bought it months ago...

Also got an Ian Rankin book to go as soon as its finished.

djk
25th Jul 2006, 21:15
Head-On / Repossed by Julian Cope

Foodbomber
25th Jul 2006, 21:31
Two books on the table at the moment;
Have I got Views for you by Boris Johnson; just a collection of items from his past columns; quite good for a supposed bumbling idiot, especially good for getting me to sleep in a reasonable temper.

Also got Fierce Invalids Home from Hot climates by Tom Robbins. Why you shouldnt piss off witchdoctors it should be called :)

henry crun
25th Jul 2006, 22:46
Koba the Dread by Martin Amis.
The story of how 20 million people were starved, murdered, or tortured to death by Uncle Joe Stalin.

tinpis
26th Jul 2006, 03:14
Critique of Pure Reason
Immanuel Kant

Little Blue
26th Jul 2006, 05:06
Currently, in the bedroom "Armageddon" - Max Hastings, being read for the third time.
In the bathroom, a copy of the good ladys' "Pregnancy" magazine !
hmmmmmm.....maybe she's trying to tell me summat... AGAIN !:uhoh:

BombayDuck
26th Jul 2006, 07:13
Three Books:

Pratchett's Going Postal. Readin bits and pieces from it over and over again. Cracking read! :ok:

Chaos by James Gleick. A little heavy on the brain, not a light read before bedtime

Radar by... hell i forget the author. Trying to study that stuff. Just like that. Has no relation to the work I do...

There must be a couple of books nearby - since I'm staying in a Guest House the only place I get to read peacefully minus the idiot box blaring is in my bed.

aaaah bless google - the Radar book is by Byron Edde :)

Ace Rimmer
26th Jul 2006, 07:33
Re reading "Propellerhead" ...still as funny as the first time round.. great book

BFraser: If you enjoy Carrying the Fire - try "The All American Boys" - by Walt Cunningham

Barkly1992
26th Jul 2006, 07:47
Seeing I started this I had better make my contribution.

1. Old Days: Old Ways (1934) by Mary Gilmore - an overview of pioneering life and attitudes in 19th Century Australia.

2. The Story of Brtion by Strong. A fantastic history of Britain from pre-Roman times up until WW2.

I know very boring - but I love histories and I have a significant collection of histories of England/Britain and the USSR.

:8

lexxity
26th Jul 2006, 08:49
Immanuel Kant

...was a real pissant....

sorry....I just couldn't resist...I'll get me sunhat....

Foss
26th Jul 2006, 09:05
Finished my Cahill book, so I'm now reading Fighter Boys, again, by Patrick Bishop.
Factual Battle of Britain history stuff.
I'd really not prefer to burn, thank you very much. :eek:

Fos

wasdale
26th Jul 2006, 09:08
Fate is the Hunter & Sigh for a Merlin

Not always being read, but always there.

Barkly1992
26th Jul 2006, 09:24
Off thread - but it was mine - a lesson.

Whilst on line adding my bit to this thread - two power surges or something. IGNORED them.

Bang - lights out - two computers come back online - mine is ferked.

Lesson - read book next to bed which is "Idiots Guide to Computer Safety" by Grumpy.

Using wife's confuser - mine is going to hospital.

:ugh:

Hirsutesme
26th Jul 2006, 11:11
...was a real pissant....

sorry....I just couldn't resist...I'll get me sunhat....

Immanuel Kant
was a real pissant
His physics were meta
his critique much better
If you dont know you can, then you can't

sorry, I couldnt resist either, and yes, it is original

AcroChik
26th Jul 2006, 11:25
Try...

"His critique was beta."

Pronounced with a New Yawk accent it woiks poifectly.

:)

Evanelpus
26th Jul 2006, 12:09
Currently by the side of my bed:

A selection of Dale Brown books
This weeks TV and Satelite weekly
Latest Airliners & Airliner World magazine
Copy of PC pilot

and last but not least, Mrs Evanelpus!!

Merlin the Happy Pig
26th Jul 2006, 17:58
Zadie Smith 'On Beauty'
Joanne Harris 'Gentlemen and Players'
Ann Summers 'Pocket Karma Sutra'

planeenglish
26th Jul 2006, 18:05
Using wife's confuser - mine is going to hospital.

:ugh:
Don't worry Grumpsty, mine has been on sick leave for two weeks, due heat exhaustion! Bugger! Had to use Mr PE's complicator. It is one third the size of mine and my eyes are so strained, just got my comp back this afternoon,I can't see anymore.

I guess they deserve their vacations too.

PE

Nick Riviera
26th Jul 2006, 19:45
When The Wind Changed: The Life and Death of Tony Hancock by Cliff Godwin.

Have been a fan since childhood. Never realised what an awful mess the guy was in, nor what a complete bastard he was. Sad.

flyblue
26th Jul 2006, 21:01
Civis

The Complete Poems by Anne Sexton is next to my bed too :)

...with many others :p

planeenglish, I do have bookshelves but I just need some of them handy. I have a priority order in my house: reading room where I keep the majority of my books, computer room where I keep the books I need for my job, bedroom shelves where I keep the "next on line" books, and night table where I keep 1) the ones I can't do without and need to be able to pick up in a hurry 2)the ones I started to read

gupta
27th Jul 2006, 03:26
Posted by wasdale:
Not always being read, but always thereA constant for me is Fair Weather Flying by Richard Taylor. Been reading this book on and off, over & over for 25 years now.