PDA

View Full Version : Help Logging on to E-Mail Accounts Please

Brian Dixon
25th Jul 2006, 11:23
My apologies for troubling the wise ones again :O
I have made the mistake of upgrading my free Zone Alarm program and have now encountered the following problem:
When trying to send and receive E-Mails the box for each mail account (there are four) pops up asking for the user name and password for the server. No matter how many times I press OK, the box won't go away, unless I press the 'cancel' button. This happens for each account. Problem is that at the moment I cant send or receive E-Mails.
I have searched this thread for any similar problems, but can't find anything that helps. I have tried changing the passwords, but that doesn't sort the problem. I have uninstalled Zone Alarm and tried to connect - no avail. I have re-installed an earlier version and tried again - no change. I have tried a system restore, but again, no change.
I'm currently running Win XP, using Outlook Express for E-mail (when it works!) and Mozilla Firefox for web browsing. I have F-Prot as a virus checker, run Ad-Aware and also Crap Cleaner to get rid of potential nasties.
As always, I'm grateful for the help and guidance offerd via this thread and thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Brian (Dullard)

Saab Dastard
25th Jul 2006, 12:27
When you set up each email account, OE will have prompted you for the name of the mail servers to send and receive mail.

You must have had this information at some point - for incoming mail it would be something like imap.myisp.com or pop3.myisp.comand and for outbound something like smtp.myisp.com.

On top of this, you may be required to provide a password when you connect to one or both of the above servers.

Again, you should know the username and the password, if you were required to set them up.

It is possible to set these up so that it stores your username and password and connects without you having to enter them every time. Of course it also makes it very easy to forget your password - even username.

All this is configured through the OE properties / settings. I would describe it in more detail, but the PC I'm using at the moment doesn't have OE.

Brian Dixon
25th Jul 2006, 12:47
Thanks Saab Dastard,
I have checked the account properties, and nothing appears to have changed from what they were before.

Incoming mail server is a is a pop3 server.
Incoming mail (pop3) is mail.btopenworld.com
Outgoing mail (smtp) is mail.btopenworld.com

Account name and password boxes are completed and the tick is in the box to remember the password.

Gahhh :ugh:

My apologies for being so poo at computing!
Brian

BOAC
25th Jul 2006, 13:54
Brian - this happens (with a 'Gatesian' irregularity) to me occasionally. Each time it is something to do with a firewall/AV programme I think, and normally by putting the info in and again ticking the 'remember' box it goes away.

Brian Dixon
25th Jul 2006, 14:15
Thanks, BOAC.

It appears that the only account that doesn't work now is my son's. Probably because he can't remember what his password was :rolleyes:

Is there a file somewhere in the machine that I can access to help the poor chap remember?

Ongoing thanks.
Brian

BOAC
25th Jul 2006, 14:31
I would hope not! Best to ask his service provider if they have a 'refresh password' function.

Brian Dixon
25th Jul 2006, 15:58
Thank you both, Saab D and BOAC.

I have (somehow) managed to resolve the issue by incompetently following your straightforward guidance.

Very many thanks to you.
Kind regards,
Brian :O

Perhaps I should change my title to read "A Really Incompetent PPRuNer"

Saab Dastard
25th Jul 2006, 21:08
Brian,

Perhaps I should change my title to read "A Really Incompetent PPRuNer"

Nah - the guys who do the titels can't spel big words like inkopetant

;)