PDA

View Full Version : Britons die in French air crash

Lucifer
6th May 2001, 20:57
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1316000/1316022.stm

A father and daughter from Britain died in France when the helicopter they were flying in crashed in France during bad weather.

The twin-seater Robinson 22 BETA helicopter carrying pilot Rodney Moody, 60, and his 28-year-old daughter Erica crashed on Saturday evening.

French police said the aircraft came down about 12 miles (20km) from the eastern French city of Beaune.

The victims are believed to have been on their way to Corsica for a holiday, and had made a refuelling stop in the northern French town of Albert.

Reports said the pair were from a town in Buckinghamshire, but the UK Foreign Office said it could not confirm this.

A French police spokesman said: "Weather conditions were very unsatisfactory but for the moment, nothing allows us to conclude that the bad weather conditions were responsible for the crash."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "The British Consulate is aware of the accident and is in touch with local authorities to offer them assistance."

Mowgli
6th May 2001, 21:36
My sincere condolences to all concerned, a very sad event.

Notwithstanding the cause of this accident, I am concerned by the number of private helicopters that come to a tragic end. I don't know the pilot nor his levels of experience, but I do know that helicopters and poor weather can test the most experienced. Some, who can afford to privately own a helicopter, are often not experienced enough to cope with adverse weather conditions.

Not knowing the details, I am in no way suggesting that a lack of experience or airmanship contributed to this tragic accident, but I believe that there is a cause for concern in some cases where individuals have the money, but perhaps not sufficient time to gain the more advanced qualifications that are needed to cope with some of the circumstances they find themselves in. Anyone from the CAA/AAIB care to comment?

JP5A
6th May 2001, 23:30
I was in Northern France over the weekend and the weather was very poor.Lille was 1300 ft with lots of heavy rain and strong winds and lower scud hanging around.I fly R22's and no way would I want to be up in that let alone going to Corsica!!Fortunately I was flying a C401 which is IFR equipped as I am so no probs.
R.I.P.

Bouncy Landing
7th May 2001, 02:35
I have to agree with Mowgli.

I have a friend (with probably more money than time) who owns a B206 and he told me how he once found himself "VMC on top". Apparantly he only made it down courtesy of the autopilot, having become disorientated in IMC when descending.... There but for the grace of God, another private heli accident.

[This message has been edited by Bouncy Landing (edited 06 May 2001).]