PDA

View Full Version : 1066 and all that…

G-SCUD
24th Jul 2006, 22:51
1066 and all that…
We Brits usually consider 1066 (invasion by the Normans) as heroic indigenous Saxons cruelly crushed by non-cricket-playing, amphibian leg-eating Johnny Foreigner…
But, given that the Saxons (and Jutes) were invaders of these fair isles some 500 or so years earlier, and many of the former indigenous Britons fled to points west and south (including Brittany), and Bretons joined up with hairy Norsemen (and women) to create the Norman team, then wasn’t 1066 more of a liberation by expat freedom fighters, than invasion by the dastardly garlic-quaffing Gauls…?
Noticed on recent trip to Gaul that locals spoke a poor grade provincial Latin too…! Mind you, managed to turn excessive quantities of wine into water…

Whirlygig
24th Jul 2006, 22:54
1066 and all that ... a cracking book by Sellar & Yeatman!

Cheers

Whirls

G-CPTN
24th Jul 2006, 22:55
Noticed on recent trip to Gaul that locals spoke a poor grade provincial Latin too…!
You mean that not all the Centurions went home, and there's still a Roman in the gloamin'?

G-SCUD
24th Jul 2006, 23:01
No CPTN, our Gallic cousins, quite apart from being the only country in history to lose to the Itallians twice, also abandoned their native tongue for a wholesale surrender to Rome (so, no change there then…).

tony draper
24th Jul 2006, 23:14
Heres summat interesting,a Centurian was in charge of eighty men ,not a hundred as is commonly thunk ,
not many peole know that.
:rolleyes:
Nobody ever mentions what happened to the Neadertals.:uhoh:

Capt. Queeg
24th Jul 2006, 23:25
Centurions (http://kropserkel.com/cylon.htm) weren't in charge of 80 or 100, it was three of them to a Raider, as I recall... :p

tony draper
24th Jul 2006, 23:29
Are you telling us that Asterix did not actually exists Mr G-SCUD,? that he is in fact just a mythical person like err Bonny Prince Charlie? or a sort of mythical half man half beast like Buffalo Bill?
:confused: :uhoh:

G-CPTN
24th Jul 2006, 23:37
Heres summat interesting,a Centurian was in charge of eighty men ,not a hundred as is commonly thunk ,
not many peole know that.
That was AFTER they'd been 'decimated'. If you joined a troupe of only eighty men you thunk "Bluddy 'Ell, this must've been a bad lot".

G-SCUD
24th Jul 2006, 23:52
Mr Draper refers, of course, to the classic army of Augustus: Two Centuries = one Maniple = 160 men. Whilst the common soldiery marched on foot, Centurions rode on horseback, and were allowed to beat up their soldiers (though latterly eclipsed somewhat by the Royal Navy - rum, sodomy and the lash, etc.).
Centurions were also posted from legion to legion and province to province. It appears they were a highly-valued asset – probably like a cross between the highest-ranking NCO and a middle-ranking officer.
Whilst ‘Parc Asterix’ certainly exists, as witnessed by motorway signposts on my recent campaign in Gaul, Asterix himself was probably not an actual ancient Gaul because:
1. He did not put garlic on all of his food.
2. He did not take a 2-hour lunch break.
3. He did not head-butt his Roman opponents in the chest (even though they taunted him as a ‘terrorist’) during the games.
4. He was not totally obsessed with his own appearance (this applies to Parisian Gauls only).
5. He did no pronounce ‘th’ as ‘z’.
6. His wife did not display a fine sprouting of underarm hirsuity.
Is that enough Frog-bashing for tonight?
Rostbif...

tony draper
25th Jul 2006, 00:00
Another little known fact is that the Romans introduced underpants to England,Mr Hdrian's Wall prevented this particular garment making its way further northward.

"Ignore the cattle lads this is a underpants raid today"

G-CPTN
25th Jul 2006, 00:05
There's nothing worn under a kilt. It's all in working order.

Selfloading
25th Jul 2006, 08:00
I am thinking of taking legal action to recover land stolen from my family in 1066, I have recently printed err i mean uncovered documents that prove my family owned the land that London now sits on.
Its not about the money of course :) :) :)

ORAC
25th Jul 2006, 08:14
Hmmm, IIRC the original inhabitants of the british isles ended up being pushed north and west. Them as could swim ending up in Ireland and the Isle of Man, them as couldn´t in Scotland, Cornwall and Wales. Their continental cousins ending up be crammed into Brittany, Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria and Northeastern Portugal.

There then ensuing, for many centuries a fine trade up and down the west coast of europe between the north of Caledonia down to Portugal and round into the Med, withd a load of Gaelic music and a bit of craic....

Foss
25th Jul 2006, 08:46
Never mind the Normans, what about the Vikings, sailed to Ireland, and wrecked the place. And some stayed.
Then Cromwell came over, and wrecked the place. And some of his men stayed.
Then Scots came over, and they all stayed.
Then there was a famine, and everyone left.
Then the ones that stayed started fighing each other, and wrecked the place.
So living here, you could have Scandanavian, English, Scottish or God knows whatever geneology.

Fos
My family started of in the borders near Northumbria pre 1066 apparently, and were raiders, so we were practised at wrecking the place before we came here.

tony draper
25th Jul 2006, 08:51
Our family legend is that we used to own the Seven Sisters Road in Londinium, none has never been there onself but one recons it must be worth a few bob now.
hmmm, being london its prolly got lots of them furriners living in it now.
:uhoh:

Erwin Schroedinger
25th Jul 2006, 09:39
a Centurian was in charge of eighty men ,not a hundred as is commonly thunk ,

Ah! But then that was before that battle against the army with many scores to settle.

Think about it (for once). :rolleyes:

patdavies
25th Jul 2006, 09:40
Nobody ever mentions what happened to the Neadertals.:uhoh:

They only post on R&N:}

patdavies
25th Jul 2006, 09:44
That was AFTER they'd been 'decimated'. If you joined a troupe of only eighty men you thunk "Bluddy 'Ell, this must've been a bad lot".

Erm.....

If you decimate 100, you get 90 - not eighty.

(maybe 91 depending where in the line you started)

GANNET FAN
25th Jul 2006, 14:12
1066 and all that ... a cracking book by Sellar & Yeatman!

Cheers

Whirls

That really does date you!!

colmac747
25th Jul 2006, 14:16
Jeez. Why does 1966 have to get mentioned again? The World Cup is over.

Erm, oops..wrong numbers:ugh:

blue up
25th Jul 2006, 20:07
Interestingly, (for me, anyhow) my grandfather spent part of 1943 comuning with our Breton cousins whilst the Germans were in France on holiday. It appears that being Welsh and a fluent Welsh speaker, he could understand what the locals were saying in Breton. Back then there were many froggies who didn't speako froggo lingo either.
[Inbound courtesy of Irvin, outbound by Navy.]:ok:
Breton, Welsh and Cornish are somewhat similar whilst irish and scottish are themselves similar.

Of course, the Celts weren't the original occupants of GB, either.

So....tell us about this book.

G-CPTN
25th Jul 2006, 20:56
WHY the simularity between (written) Dutch and Danish?

Grandpa
26th Jul 2006, 06:43
He is no more blaming the French for this or that as he usually does ......

Call for a Doctor please!!!!!!!!!!!!

tony draper
26th Jul 2006, 08:40
Give it time, give it time! the day is yet young,you people don't realise how much hard work goes into being a rabid xenophobe.:suspect: :E

Hirsutesme
26th Jul 2006, 12:19
Actually, having a Geordie accent is helpful when learning Portuguese, so I've been told by both Geordies and Portuguese.

G-CPTN
26th Jul 2006, 13:00
We don't get many Portugeezers oop norf - at least mebbe they just meld into the countryside pretending to be Geordies.

Charlie Foxtrot India
27th Jul 2006, 14:24
All the parts I can remember

THE withdrawal of the Roman legions to take part in Gibbon Decline and Fall of the Romans Empire (due to a clamour among the Romans for pompous amusements such as bread and circumstances) left Britain defenceless and subjected Europe to that long succession of Waves of which History is chiefly composed. While the Roman Empire was overrun by waves not only of Ostrogoths, Vizigoths and even Goths, but also of Vandals (who destroyed works of art) and Huns (who destroyed everything and everybody, including Goths, Ostrogoths, Vizigoths and even Vandals), Britain was attacked by waves of Picts (and, of course, Scots) who had recently learnt how to climb the wall, and of Angles, Saxons and Jutes who, landing at Thanet, soon overran the country with fire (and, of course, the sword).

IMPORTANT NOTE
The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

HUMILIATION OF THE BRITONS
The brutal Saxon invaders drove the Britons westward into Wales and compelled them to become Welsh; it is now considered doubtful whether this was a Good Thing.....

Foss
27th Jul 2006, 15:25
IMPORTANT NOTE
The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).
Thank god there's a fast ferry service now, won't take so long next time. Just pack your swords in a people carrier with some mates and fire away.
Maybe avoid Glasgow, the boys there are a bit hard.
Fos;)

ORAC
27th Jul 2006, 16:07
were now Irish (living in brackets) Never knoew they lived in brackets. I knew they lived in thickets and had hedge schools though.

I kearn something new every day...... :}

G-CPTN
27th Jul 2006, 16:11
Maybe avoid Glasgow, the boys there are a bit hard.
Fos;)
I wonder if the 'hardness' is hereditary, in which I mean that it has been passed down from generation to generation from a residual core of raiders or returnees?

tony draper
27th Jul 2006, 16:20
Thought the newest thinking was that there was no invasion as such after the Romans skinned,there appears to be no Archeological evidence for a sudden influx of a different culture or evidence from looking at the genetic make up of various parts of the country,the new thinking being that people just arrived in dribs and drabs and gradualy took over, hmmm sounds familiar.
:rolleyes: :cool:

Foss
27th Jul 2006, 18:39
G-CPTN

I wonder if the 'hardness' is hereditary, in which I mean that it has been passed down from generation to generation from a residual core of raiders or returnees?

I think it's mostly due to fortified wine :E

An elderly American relative once asked in a phone call did we have a thatched roof, did we keep chickens and would I speak Gaelic to her. She was very proud of her Irish ancestry. :hmm:
No, a normal bungalow. No, foxes eat them. No, don't know it, apart from a few swear words

Oh aye, apparently during the American Civil War armies avoided the Appalachians because they were full of Scots/Irish settlers, and it was easier to go around. Wreck the place all the time and you get a reputation.

Fos

G-SCUD
29th Jul 2006, 11:52
For our younger readers, the Book is still in print:
http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=0413775275
Pant-wettingly funny imho.
(This is not an endorsement of any particular supplier, but can't be bothered to Google further).

Heatseeker
29th Jul 2006, 12:08
I seem to remember the very last line of 1066 and all that was

"then the bloody frogs succesfully invaded us and history then came to a full ."

There's something very sad about that.

H:(

blue up
29th Jul 2006, 12:14
Quote....
"HUMILIATION OF THE BRITONS
The brutal Saxon invaders drove the Britons westward into Wales and compelled them to become Welsh; it is now considered doubtful whether this was a Good Thing.....":* :=
I'm gonna BURN your holiday home down:E