PDA

View Full Version : Renewing your UK passport.

G-CPTN
24th Jul 2006, 18:33
The price of a UK passport will rise 29.411764705882352941176470588235% to £66 in October 2006.

Time to renew early?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5210042.stm

Edited to correct error of overestimation (or to dumm down if you prefer).

Polikarpov
24th Jul 2006, 18:40
Cost matters aside, now is a good time to renew because it opts you out of the National Identity Swindle for a decade or so.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Jul 2006, 18:42
The price of a UK passport will rise 30% to £66 in October 2006Does that mean it currently costs £50.769230 (recurring) ? :8

lexxity
24th Jul 2006, 19:04
No it costs £51 for an adult passport and £34 for a childs 5year passport, thieveing buggers!:mad:

G-CPTN
24th Jul 2006, 19:07
Does that mean it currently costs £50.769230 (recurring) ? :8
Is it the '0' that's recurring, or the 50769230?

TVIR40
24th Jul 2006, 19:09
Its going to stop airlines supply two to F/D, some cabin crew, to get around visa obtaining issues, or is it?

Could be interesting!

IB4138
24th Jul 2006, 19:13
Stop whinging!

They charge us expats €142 for one and you can only pay by Mastercard or Visa. :mad:

daedalus
24th Jul 2006, 20:15
My UK passport is not machine readable, which is now mandatory for the USA. You can either renew your UK passport or, which is cheaper, get a US Visa in your existing passport.
It is cheaper and probably faster to go to the nearest US consulate for a visa for USA travel.;)

Sailor Vee
24th Jul 2006, 20:17
Don't forget the extra €5, if you want it sent back registered post, and you can't pay by credit card here, only a postal order, so that's another €7 for one!

colmac747
24th Jul 2006, 20:23
****..that reminds me. Off to France in October and haven't yet renewed my passport....:ooh: Better send the relevant documents of tomorrow seeing as how i know Royal Mail operates:p :E :\

ZFT
25th Jul 2006, 03:37
Stop whinging!
They charge us expats €142 for one and you can only pay by Mastercard or Visa. ::
Renewed both of mine recently here and they (gladly) took cash, but as you state, expensive if an FCO issue

spork
25th Jul 2006, 12:39
In 1987 I experienced terrible problems with a bog standard renewal of two passports. There was no time pressure on the Passport Office, so of course, no passports arrive. After 15 weeks of waiting, I started to get pushy as there was only a month left before travelling. When phoning they cut me off many times, they waffled, they said I should have said it was urgent; basically any old flannel in place of just getting on with the job.
Roll forward to 2006, and I have just experienced the most abysmal performance once again with the same bunch of apathetic civil servants. I don’t mind paying the ever-increasing fees, but they could at least provide some semblance of efficiency in the operation. In the last three weeks, out of eight telephone calls via a “press 3 for a long wait” service, I only found two people who had their finger on the pulse. The others were “ever such nice people” who had absolutely no idea of where the renewal pack was, and absolutely no idea of when it would be processed. That telephone service comes under the heading of “I want to check the progress of my application” on their website.
Incidentally, I wouldn’t criticise the Post Office. They may have increased prices too, but I find their service 100% efficient. As an avid declutterer and eBayer, I am constantly amazed at them achieving their targets so well. I find that the people (especially eBayers) who instantly blame the Post Office are usually the ones who actually are rubbish at getting organised. The Royal Mail are an easy target.

Curious Pax
25th Jul 2006, 13:57
Had an entertaining time (and an expensive one as IB4138 mentions) when I renewed my UK passport in Amsterdam recently. I had left it a bit late (ie 6 days before it expired), but sent off the necessary paperwork, pics and money. Received a call a week later saying that my pics didn't meet the new guidelines (I didn't look miserable enough, in contrast to one of my wife's most frequent accusations), so in order to speed things up (I was heading for France the following week) I got new pics done, dropped them in personally, and they promised to try and speed up processing me.

I'd given up hope on receiving my new one by the day before we were going to France (I was going to chance it and go anyway as we were driving) but lo and behold a packet from the consulate dropped through the mailbox. You can imagine my surprise when someone else's new passport tumbled out! I phoned them up and explained the situation, which seemed to trigger a degree of panic, so suggested that as they hadn't processed mine yet they could do it straight away and I would pop in that afternoon and do a swap. This was agreed, and sure enough I had my new passport in the nick of time.

It was only when I looked more closely at it on getting home that I noticed that they had used the original pictures and not the second attempt!

lexxity
25th Jul 2006, 14:37
Don't bother with the check and send 2 weeks guaranteed service either. Last time I used it took 6 weeks! I only just got my passport back on time before I flew to the states.