PDA

View Full Version : Looking to become a professional pilot

CHRISALLEN
24th Jul 2006, 13:21
I am looking for any advice on how best to become a pilot and find a job as a pilot. I intend to take my PPL (H) next year and currently wondering if I stand a cat in hells chance of obtaining employment afterwards (do I need commercial status for this?).

Are there any scholarships available to Helicopter pilots?

Really any advice would be good as I am finding it extremely difficult to find any sources that can give an un-bias view

Whirlygig
24th Jul 2006, 13:34
Chris, (If I may assume that's your name!):O ,

there's a "sticky" thread at the top of this page all about training. Some is a little out of date but much is still valid.

This question regularly gets asked so forgive me for being brief.

Yes, you need a commercial licence in order to be able to earn money from flying. You will be very unlikely to get any sponsorship (unless you are fortunate enough to be able to be trained by The Queen!) and jobs for low-hour, inepxperienced pilots are very few and far between; becoming an instructor is the most likely route.

Cheers

Whirls

Heliport
24th Jul 2006, 13:39
"advice on how best to become a pilot and find a job as a pilot."
See: Training: FAQ (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122944)

"wondering if I stand a cat in hells chance of obtaining employment afterwards"
Yes, but read the various opinions about how easy/difficult it is likely to be.

"do I need commercial status for this?
Yes.

Are there any scholarships available to Helicopter pilots?
Not for basic helicopter training as far as I know.
The Guild of Air Pilots www.gapan.org gives various scholarships. One of them is for a Helicopter Instructor course.

"Really any advice would be good as I am finding it extremely difficult to find any sources that can give an un-bias view"
You'll find lots of unbiased views at the link I posted above.

Heliport