View Full Version : IFR Renewals

JohnnyK
24th Jul 2006, 10:48
Gentlemen,

I am heading back to NZ after 2 years in Africa and looking to find work with your Eagle's, Origins, et al. 2 Questions. Firstly, what are the requirements for an IF renewal these days? Is it the full monty ordeal of the initial MEIR complete with enormous price tag AND thieving B cat instructors more interested in their logbook than yours AND expensive flight test with expensive CAA examiner. Or, alternatively are there some honest, diligent operators out there that can bring me up to speed as efficiently,safely,and from my wallets sake, as cost effectively as possible?

mattathm
24th Jul 2006, 22:07
is totally up to the individual canidate.
Ive known some guys to take 6-7 ifr flights to complete, and other to take 1-2.
The flight test should be simple enough, consisting of a sid, approach ndb vor and ils (if you want them renewed) engine faliures, IFR proceedures questions, Law questions, and if doing it in a specific company you work for then opperating to the sop's to a T.

The basic IFR renewal is pretty straight forward, just know your planes performance when on single engine, have some good sop's of you own if you are just taking an instructor for a ride.

Get a copy of the nz atpl law study notes... and Vol 1+2 of the aip.
read thru em maybe do a couple of practice flights and go sit it, easy.
Remember it aint rocket science, you already have the rating, you are just getting checked by a person that wants to see that you know what you are doing.
If its a 2 pilot check, involve the non flying pilot, if its single pilot then your on your own.

mattyj
26th Jul 2006, 04:26
Go see Mike Foster at Eagle Flight Training at Ardmore or John Gemmell at Airline Flying Club..they both have flown to the moon and back and won't muck you round to build hours. If you follow Mattathms instructions you will pass and then some.

Don't go back to your old flying school..it will be like the day you left..and they will act like you havent flown since you went.

JohnnyK
26th Jul 2006, 15:38
Thanks guys,

I must add here that my B Cat instructor for my initial was a bloody star-it was some other mercenaty swine the ripped of off a couple of buddies. Will do as you say and follow up the leads you have given me.

Happy Flying.

What time is ECT?
27th Jul 2006, 05:59
Having been based at NZAR for many years, and talking to a lot of people, and flying operationally, mattyj is the man with the info. It's not what you know - but who you know - and who knows you.
ECT?

JG would be my first choice.

Cloud Cutter
27th Jul 2006, 06:40
I can also reccoment Mike Foster.