PDA

View Full Version : Red Cross, Care International, etc...

_Walker_
24th Jul 2006, 05:25
Hi there, Im 23 and just starting my flying career. I have my Canadian commercial, Multi IFR, and Instructor rating. I’m presently flying charter work and instructing on the west coast of Canada. At some point in my life I would REALLY like to fly humanitarian supplies etc… in Africa. IE Red Cross etc… I was wondering if someone could tell me just how abouts one manages to get into something like that? Are most of the Aid missions subcontracted? What licenses are needed (FAA/JAA etc?) what sort of time and experience is usually needed? What sort of non aviation things are needed? Do you have to be a citizen XXX to work?

Id love to hear any comments or suggestions! I figure this is something that will take a few years to get too, but I guess now’s the time to start!

Contract Dog
24th Jul 2006, 13:21
what type of planes are you rated on and whats youy total time? there are loads of jobs like that at the moment for UN, WFP, Red cross, IRC the list goes on. All that type of work is out of SA and Kenya but it is not easy to get a Kenya Validation and work permit but out of SA is not a problem, no work permit needed as it is contract work. The a/c they are using are the BE20, B190, C208B and twotter, any ratings and time on type on those a/c will help you. There are other optiopns as well but look into the big contract companies in SA like NAC, FED Air, Nature Link (though i dont think your afrikaans is good enough for that:O ) King air services, Executive Turbine, Solenta Aviation to name just a few. good luck!:ok:

Smells like...
25th Jul 2006, 01:18
The first thing you're going to need is a conflict, wich is no problem here in Africa. Our continent has it pegged.
Now, pick an African country you would like to visit. The infustructure is all the same f:mad: , so i'd go for nice beaches. now, it doesn't matter wich country, as they all end up the same with the right ingredients.
Within this countries, political circles there will be 2 main groups. Either based on an socio/economical idiology "Peoples freedom... fighters" or something based on religion, "Jihad el... " , ok pick one.
Get your goverment to back one saying that, once brought to power they will help the people instead of just lining their own pockets. if you have an American cousin or someone, get them to tell there Gov's that they have oil. Your Gov's will send money, weapons etc.
Wait 6 months
U.N. steps in and watches while 2 ethnic, political groups go for it.
U.N. puts out tenders.
Apply to S.A. aviation company that wins the tender.:)

reptile
25th Jul 2006, 06:06
Smells like......... perfect!!!

Beech19
25th Jul 2006, 08:26
...don't worry about being in any danger as the U.N. just monitor, they only carry guns cause it looks cool. If any additional flairups after the ceasefire happen, they won't get involved. So you'll be quite safe!!

south coast
25th Jul 2006, 09:54
infact walker....why not by-pass the whole flying bit and join the UN or some other aid organisation.

the work is much easier, you get paid 5 times more, when you do make a mistake you are promoted and moved to another mission...

MineDog
25th Jul 2006, 12:15
:ok: well said south coast,

we're in the wrong biznes! try to get into the UN direct and pretend to 'help' the helpless while making looooots of money. humanitatian work as i've seen is a extremely hypocrite thing. it took me a few years to realise that. me to i always wanted to fly UN, Red Cross, .... did it... and now i prefer flying for the bad guys: oil companies, at least they are clear about what they do.
but its maybe good to go find out yourself: like contract dog said: apply to all those listed in his post. after flying humanitarian these same companies can offer you jobs for the bad multinationals and alike:}

cheers,
MD

Contract Dog
25th Jul 2006, 14:31
well said guys,
it was only the other day that i met an old colleague who had, shall we say, 'crossed to the other side'.
As he marched across the apron in his flurescent tabard and self congratulatory grin, belowing at fleeing locals and cluching numerous hand held radios i knew he must have joined the 'league of extraordinary humanitarians', and bloody smug he looked about it too.
Having only 1000 hours and one tour here, he had managed to become an expert on local aviation, to such an extent that the UN agencies were fighting for his services upon the apron.
Well, to cut a long story short he now collects over $8000 tax free per month, has health insurance for not only himself but his entire immediate family and more time off than on (it seems to me).
In return, he delivers to his greatful employers, obnoxious rantings, dubious loading advice to the confused local loadies, mass inbalance advice on aircraft he has never actually flown and when faced with the perplexing problem of having to cutout several sectors due to pilot fatigue, still finds time (god, knows where?) to send numerous e-mails to HQ to complain about just how useless the pilots are!
Why the hell are we all giving advice on flying here, what any responsible oke should be doing is advising on how to complete a P11 (incredibly complex UN application form) to successfully join the humanitarian league:suspect:

_Walker_
26th Jul 2006, 19:51
Haha, well ok thanks for the input guys! Iv still got to fly another season or two here in Canada first, im guessing 1000 hrs would be the minimum experience level right? So then the only other question I have is what type of license will I need? If I do my paperwork for an FAA with that cut it or will I be better off getting my SA?

Beech19
27th Jul 2006, 03:09
Most Redcross or U.N contracts have cetain hour requirements for crew. You will need to contact the contract companies to find out what their requirements are. The most common aircraft used on these contracts seem to be King air 200, Twotter and sometimes B190. your FAA license is not a problem, as you can get a validation for whatever country the aircraft has been registered in. Hope this helps.