PDA

View Full Version : More Security Madness..

Sunfish
24th Jul 2006, 03:57
Just back from New Guinea.

Did you know a lead dive weight is now a security threat? Thats right folks. Security at Port Moresby confiscated a one pound lead dive weight from hand baggage.

I guess they thought someone could bludgeon the crew to death with it.

Capt Claret
24th Jul 2006, 04:04
A pax had some dumb-bells confiscated t'other day.

Heard a story recently of a pilot dressed in uniform and about to hop into the car to go to work, who had need to shoot a snake before doing so.

Leaving the aircraft after a tour of duty, he wondered what was in his pocket?

A live shotgun cartridge from the shoot-the-snake-episode that the ever vigilant security goons had failed to detect, and our erstwhile hero had forgotten he'd put in his pocket. :\

tinpis
24th Jul 2006, 04:07
Sunfish you just provided a few lads with fishing sinkers

tinpis
24th Jul 2006, 04:09
Sunfish you just provided a few lads with fishing sinkers

Gawd Clarry I seem to recall pilots could get a licence to carry a hand gun onboard up here just a few years ago.?

OzExpat
24th Jul 2006, 06:32
Sorry to burst the bubble of your memories Tin, but that "just a few years ago" was actually 20 years ago mate! :eek:

Woomera
24th Jul 2006, 07:12
Pilot hand guns probably forbidden after one of Tin's mad pilot mates leaned across the right hand seat passenger in a Baron at Wau, opened the door, shot a stray dog, closed the door and took off!! That incident must have been 25 to 30 years ago! :}

Ron & Edna Johns
24th Jul 2006, 22:53
A Qantas Captain had his balls confiscated recently. Golf balls, that is..... Obviously the security nazis lost theirs a while back.... :mad:

Kanga767
25th Jul 2006, 02:00
As someone who seems to attract a 'randon explosives trace' test more than my fair share of times whilst paxing in plain clothes, the thought has occured to me what the consequences would be, (as an airside ASIC holder), of a (false!) positive test...

K

airbusthreetwenty
25th Jul 2006, 04:13
As someone who seems to attract a 'randon explosives trace' test more than my fair share of times whilst paxing in plain clothes, the thought has occured to me what the consequences would be, (as an airside ASIC holder), of a (false!) positive test...

K

It has happened to me before. I was on my way to work and it was raining quite heavily. I was drenched by the time i actually got inside the terminal. Security pulled me aside for a trace test, it returned a positive result.

The positive trace was dismissed due to dampness on my hands.. I had to sign a form and was allowed on my way.

I also know of a few others who have returned a positive trace... Same form signed and not much more than that.

Howard Hughes
25th Jul 2006, 04:25
Before undergoing the test you are always asked if you agree to the test!!
What happens if you don't agree?
Just as an experiment, I refused whilst dressed in full uniform with ASIC displayed.
The response was interesting to say the least...:hmm:

J430
25th Jul 2006, 04:50
Hey Howard, how about you share the highlights of your educational experience.........I bet it makes interesting reading.

airbusthreetwenty
This was not in Brisbane by any chance. I asked security there one day about the dust and "fall out from the large fertilizer plants" that are close by to YBBN. It seems when there are winds from the SE which are quite common in Brisbane, the trace levels are high.........and maybe the rain here is not acid rain but more like ammonium nitrate rain. Any chemical guru's like to comment?

J:ok:

airbusthreetwenty
25th Jul 2006, 05:10
Nah... YSSY.

Chimbu chuckles
25th Jul 2006, 05:17
Re handguns in PNG.

Just after arriving there in late 86, and already the owner of said bit of kit. I was told that 'pilots could carry legally as part of their survival kit'.

Figured that was worth persuing so rang Al Craigie (DCA boss) at Konedobu and the conversation went exactly like this.

"Hey Al I want to apply for a licence to carry my pistol"

"Sorry Chuck not allowed"

"But I heard pilots could carry as part of their survival kit"

"That rule was rescinded a little while ago"

"What fecking moron did that?"

"Me"

"Oh...cool.:} "

I seem to remember it didn't stop anyone:E

KRUSTY 34
25th Jul 2006, 05:30
Drew some concerned mutterings about the pointy end of my umbrella the other day!

After informing them that I would not use said lethal devise to gain control of my own aircraft, I was reluctantly allowed through.

tinpis
25th Jul 2006, 05:30
Har ! har ! :uhoh: ker--rist was it that long ago?

Yes Woomera not only did the dog get a fright but the pax in the front seat complained of ringing ears for a while :hmm:

The one and only "Drunken Duncan" the once proud owner of an armoury that would shame the Taliban.:}

Hugh Jarse
25th Jul 2006, 06:16
Chuck wrote:Just after arriving there in late 86, and already the owner of said bit of kit. I was told that 'pilots could carry legally as part of their survival kit.
Was that incase you came across any bush pigs Chuck?:E

I saw a sticker on a Bogan Bus (ute) the other day that read "Bush Pigs, shoot 'em don't root 'em"

Laughed my arse off:} :} :} :{:{

Utradar
26th Jul 2006, 01:23
Went through security point in Melb other day with a box full of red. Don't know why I didn't check it in but I wouldn't have allowed security to confiscate it anyway, bloody good stuff it was.
I'm surprised they didn't confiscate it as I would have thought a full bottle of wine would have made a nice weapon!
I understand they confiscate things like bats and racquets so why not wine bottles. Security seems like such a PR exercise! What a joke :ugh:

Brian Abraham
26th Jul 2006, 02:14
Staggered me transitting Sydney for overseas flight and we had to go through the shoes off and whole bit to get into the terminal when getting off the Melbourne flight and same when we returned from overseas to catch the domestic. Whats going on there? Has got to be empire building at its best. Are they saying the security at the other airports is not to be trusted? Guess so, after all pilots cant be trusted. In contrast doing the same at San Fran no security switching from domestic to international but are sent through a door to a little waiting room to wait for a bus to take you to international terminal. Waiting room is airside so spent the time outside on the ramp watching proceedings. :E Confused.

Fris B. Fairing
26th Jul 2006, 07:41
Ok try this one. A group of a dozen teenage schoolgirls is going on their big exchange trip to Europe. They clear security with no problems and as they have time to kill before their flight they sit in a group in the lounge area immediately after the security checkpoint. Not only is it the first big trip for many of them but most have also just acquired their first digital camera which they proceed to play with, taking copious photos of one another. The trouble is, the security checkpoint features as the background of most of these photos. Fortunately, security recognised the threat immediately and one of their vigilant staff interviewed each of the girls in turn and physically checked their digital photos, carefully deleting any that featured the security checkpoint. Now what could anyone hope to learn from such photos that they did not experience first hand from having just passed through said security checkpoint?

Pinky the pilot
26th Jul 2006, 08:00
That rule was rescinded a little while ago"

"What fecking moron did that?"

"Me"

"Oh...cool. "

I seem to remember it didn't stop anyone

Most interesting Chuck as when I was with Simbu in late '91 I asked the Firearms branch about carrying my S&W as part of my survival gear.
I was told that I could'nt carry it as it was the pistol I used in competitive shooting (I was a member of the Pistol Club at the time) but if I purchased another pistol they would permit that one to be carried in my kit.
Could'nt afford another gun so carried the S&W anyway!:E

hoss
26th Jul 2006, 08:20
Some of these security stories are make me want to hit something:mad: .

Howard Hughes a few months back I had a similar experience when asked 'if I could participate in the random explosives trace test' in full pilot uniform. Although I hesitantly participated(actually saying NO at first) I explained to the security officer that I was not carrying any EXPLOSIVES or BOMBS and let him take the sample and I kept walking. As I was walking away and he was analyising the results I told him to let me know if I test positive. After walking about 25 meters I looked back, shook my head at the guy and confirmed that I passed the test.

Fred Gassit
26th Jul 2006, 08:38
A year or so back I needed to get airside through a deserted (late night) domestic lounge, the security put my well used overnight bag though the x-ray machine and found a 30 06 cartridge in a long forgotten side pocket. I dont suppose I could do much with a lone cartridge but it must have been going through screening a couple of times a day for at least the previous 3 or 4 years at nearly every capital city airport.

Turbo 5B
26th Jul 2006, 09:42
Well if you want to access airside with anything just go through the syd jetbase turnstiles. They look in your bag, allow anything through and say have a nice day. I once commented that all I had in my bag was enough tools to dismantle a 747 (which was true) but it didn't even provoke a response.

gaunty
26th Jul 2006, 10:42
And then there is the one about the media types returning to Brisbane today from a Channel Nine promo tour in Sydney being "relieved" of their minature cricket bats, part of the promotional material given to them, before being allowed to board their flight.

Apparently the security morons were concerned they'd all run amok with them.
:{

Ron & Edna Johns
26th Jul 2006, 12:26
With regards to bludgeoning instruments, anyone care to pick the only difference between a 1 lb diving weight and a top-end DSLR, such as Nikon D2X or Canon equiv?

About $8000 !

I really shouldn't give them ideas - next thing we know is they will be insisting all cameras travel in the hold. And laptops. And......

But didgeridoos are fine, folks! Bring it aboard, sir. No worries. :ugh:

Capt Claret
26th Jul 2006, 12:36
Passing through security at YBAS a week or so ago, with the rest of the crew, I was taken aside for ETD. Immediately I came out of the ETD office, one of the cabin crew, heavily pregnant was taken aside for ETD.

Now I think 1 person from the crew is a waste of time, but 2 or more is just rediculous.

When I spoke later with the cabin crew member, she advised that she was told "that I (male security person) should look through your bags but you're crew so I won't". :mad:

No the same male security person made no mention to me about looking through my bags, so why tell a female cabin crew member? Sexist and probably a perv too.

I know of two female cabin crew who have had their smalls closely inspected by these dills at ASP.

A formal complaint has been lodged. := :* :mad:

TopperHarley
28th Jul 2006, 16:29
Does any one know the official line with respect to aerosol cans ?

I have had my deoderant and shaving creme knocked off a few times because of a missing lid or some minute amount of rust !

Is this because the knuckle draggers running the show are all smelly, hairy neanderthals ?

Or is there some reg that prohibits such dangerous items ?

If my BO basher and shaving gear is helping clean them up then im all for it but if they just go in the bin, im not happy !

Any ideas ?

Led Zep
28th Jul 2006, 16:55

I have had my deoderant and shaving creme knocked off a few times because of a missing lid or some minute amount of rust !

Or is there some reg that prohibits such dangerous items ?

Any ideas ?
If yer aerosol can dunnit have a cap, you can't expect to take it on board. DGRs require that all aerosol cans must have a protective cap on them to prevent accidental discharge in flight. :)
Rust? Surface rust should be okay, but any "deep" rust (flakes, around can welds/joints) and I wouldn't let it on board. :}

RENURPP
28th Jul 2006, 23:59
I understand the DG's issue with aerosols, any comments on whether that is the reason the "sunshine bus" people examine them or is it security related.

Vee Won Kutt
29th Jul 2006, 10:32
If you can't trust the guys and girls up front, then why fly?:confused:
Osama has won for sure! All this security just so some pr!cks in Canberra can sleep at night.:zzz::zzz: :zzz:
Additionally I think its just great that our families can't come anywhere near the flightdeck now - They will be so much safer way down the back, while up the front we poke each other with our 'rounded and non-detachable' metal forks!:(
I saw a joke once about the flight crew getting screened at security - now it's reality - but the irony is it's still a joke!:sad:
PS
Don't say or give away too much folks - or they may make it even harder on us!!!:oh: :oh: :oh:

Vee Won Kutt
29th Jul 2006, 10:44
PS

Please Mr ASIO, don't hold the above post against me on my next ASIC application! I promise that I will try to be a good boy and hand all forks to my CHUBBy friends tomorrow!:O

Ratshit
29th Jul 2006, 12:59

Lid-less aerosol shaving cream in carry-on luggage is apparently a hazard for QF, VB and J*, but is only a hazard in checked luggage for J* !

Go figure!!!

R:cool:

APMR
29th Jul 2006, 13:56
At Newman, about a year ago, with my own aircraft, I tried to get onto the apron in bare feet.

Unfortunately, as the 717 was about to leave, the Chubb staff were screening and wouldn't let me onto the apron with bare feet.

Why? For "safety" they said.

Do you think I could get it through to them that dress codes and apron safety had absolutely nothing to do with them?

As I saw it, I could have gone out stark naked. Infuriating!