PDA

View Full Version : Do 'Standby' tcikets still exist, I want a cheap ride to LA???

Feneris
23rd Jul 2006, 21:18
Do standby tickets still exist?? I've never been on one, and I've heard that they don't exist anymore. I want to get out to LA in a few weeks for a very flexible trip. I'm dammed if I'm going to pay £740 for a ticket though, I know it's peak season, but I think thats still extorsionate. Anyone any ideas?? Thanks, F

PAXboy
23rd Jul 2006, 22:10
I don't know if they do still exist but it sounds like a very good deal to me.

Great Circle Mapper (http://gc.kls2.com/) tells me that the route is 5,456 miles, thus 10,912 for the trip. As far as my old school maths goes, that is £0.0678 (rounded up to) 7 pence per mile. My 1,800cc car costs more than that to run (all costs including depreciation, maintenance, road tax and fuel). Of course I might be wrong, school was a long time ago but, if not I'd rush out and buy the ticket tight away. :ok:

el @
23rd Jul 2006, 22:13
There is a way. Google for 'air courier', contact these 'companies', and while waiting for a reply, save money for a regular economy fare, as it is pretty much the only thing that will get you on the other side of the pond.

agent x
24th Jul 2006, 16:17
Become and airline employee, it's one of our great benefits! Thats more or less the only way you'll get a standby nowadays.

Agent x:ok:

el @
24th Jul 2006, 16:27
Being live-in with an employee is enough. I couldn't believe it when my mate had his free economy ticket upgraded to business for eur 40 on a transatlantic flight! They have been separated 4 years at the time!

Leezyjet
25th Jul 2006, 19:43
Try someone like Zoom to Vancouver, they have some cheap fares then see if you can get another lo-co from there to LA. Might mean a few stops along the way, but depends on if you think it is worth saving the money over the fare and time saved to fly direct.

:)

smala01
28th Jul 2006, 12:14
If you can wait until w/c 21 Aug then prices start to come down.

Im quoted £430 with American.

PAXboy
28th Jul 2006, 14:23
May not work smala01, the original statement from Feneriswas:I want to get out to LA in a few weeks for a very flexible trip.The moment that you introduce the magic word 'flexible' the price goes up. It is one of the prime ways in which a number of fares have been brought down. If you make firm decisions that cannot be (cheaply) changed then the carrier can make some forward planning. Ultimately they will, of course, make more money but some folks will get cheaper tickets.

This process has worked so well, that many other lines of retail have followed, Trains and Hotels are but two.