PDA

View Full Version : Bangkoks New Airport

Tolsti
23rd Jul 2006, 20:03
I am off to BKK for 2 weeks in early October and the Thai Govt Officials are saying that the new airport for Bangkok at Suvarnabhumi will open on 28th September..... any one in the know out there that can say whether this is likely to happen or is it just a dream?.... I rather like Dom Muang with its' golf course down the middle...

apaddyinuk
23rd Jul 2006, 21:16
And does anyone know if ALL the airlines are moving out here. I know my airline has not mentioned any move to the new airport yet and the winter schedule is fast approaching!!!

Bangkokeasy
24th Jul 2006, 04:03
There are still some issues to be addressed before the new airport can open for commercial traffic. There will be about half a dozen domestic flights operated on 29th July, both by TG and other domestic carriers, for which fares will be levied on the travelling public. However, these may be classed as part of the development programme, as the airport is not yet insured for commercial operation. Apparently, the revenue thus generated will be donated to charity.

The other issue I am aware of is that there is an outstanding matter to be clarified with the ICAO regarding location of some waste disposal facilities at the site (I guess this might not be the only matter outstanding). Anyone know what else is there to be done?

The official operating date remains the end of September, although my money is still on December 5th. It is possible that the caretaker government here may just push to start operations regardless, so it is possible that the airport may open at the end of September, even if not all approvals have been granted. Watch this space!

ZFT
24th Jul 2006, 04:17
And does anyone know if ALL the airlines are moving out here. I know my airline has not mentioned any move to the new airport yet and the winter schedule is fast approaching!!!
To quote the PM “Don Muang will remain open for military, charter, VIP and private flights only”, so yes all carriers will move.

Whether 0300 on 29th September 2006 remains the real start of commercial operations is still very unclear. The government does seem committed to this date this time and it would take a tremendous loss of face to climb down again.

With yet another general election only 2 weeks after this opening date, I would be very surprised if they cancel this at a late stage. However, this being Thailand………

One issue that is causing confusion here is that the new airport is going to be given the same ticket designator as the old airport. (I booked a flight to LAX yesterday and the ticket still shows a November departure out of terminal 2 which of course doesn’t exist at the new airport!!!)

zlin77
24th Jul 2006, 04:31
Asked our flight dispatcher there a few weeks ago regarding a moving date,
his reply "February 2007"!

Bangkokeasy
28th Jul 2006, 06:53
Interesting front page article in the Bangkok Post today, where someone has leaked an ICAO preliminary report on preparedness sent to the Airports Authority of Thailand (AOT). We are beginning to get a picture of what is actually happening and it should soon be able to be more clear as to when we can expect this to open.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Jul2006_news01.php

ScootCargoOps
28th Jul 2006, 07:07
Doe's anyone know what’s happening to the cargo area in BKK - have all the airlines moved or have ready new facilities??

Thanks

rustyhelms
2nd Aug 2006, 13:46
http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/ (http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/)

Airport hotel won't get ready until Dec06, MTR train won't run until Dec07.
..no other by-pass roads to its eastern seaboard,....so thousand of thousand cars to pie up there around VTBS.
Good luck :rolleyes:

Bangkokeasy
3rd Aug 2006, 07:34
The connections are far better prepared than they ever have been for Don Muang. At best, Don Muang has 12 lanes of highway connecting it with the city, while the new one has 22, because Suvarnabumi airport is accessible from both the Chonburi motorway and the Bangna-Trad road. It took them 30 years to fix the road access to Don Muang!

The freight operations will move at roughly the same time as the PAX operations. Freight operators eagerly await the new airport, as the old one is badly overcrowded and has inadequate office facilities. My ex employers resorted to renting a townhouse a couple of kilometers north of the airport, because the options within the airport complex were so poor.

ZFT
4th Aug 2006, 01:38
Being slightly pedantic. The AOT maintain there are 26 lanes linking Suvarnabumi to the outside world.
N – 8 lane link to Bangkok-Chonburi highway
NW – 6 lane link road
W - 4 lane link road
S - 4 lane link to BangNa-Trat highway
NE - 4 lane link road

Whether they will cope better than the current situation at Don Muang remains to be seen.

Tolsti
23rd Aug 2006, 11:40
I've just confirmed my limo pickup in BKK for October and having given them the flight details they have me down as being picked up from Suvarnabumi. Pricing is 2250 Bht (£31) return plus tollway fees... same as they quote for Don Muang. Any one heard any more news?

ZFT
31st Aug 2006, 07:16
From todays Nation:

SUVARNABHUMI
All airlines prepared for the big move

Some budget carriers may switch early

All local and international airlines have announced they are ready to relocate to the new Suvarnabhumi Airport on the official opening date of September 28, while three budget carriers - keen to avoid road congestion caused by the transfer of equipment - have opted to move their fleets up to three days ahead of schedule.

In a meeting held by airline operators yesterday to discuss their readiness to make the move, Air France said it would be ready to divert its aircraft to Suvarnabhumi on September 28.

Contrary to a recent report, no airline has to date said it plans to shift flights to other countries in the region.

All major airlines, including Thai Airways International (THAI), Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qantas and other international carriers, told the panel they had no problem with the opening date of the new airport.

The government has said all flights must move to the new airport on September 28, when the existing Don Muang Airport will close to commercial traffic.

In a bid to woo airlines to Suvarnabhumi, Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) has postponed its plan to increase service fees by six months until April 2007. The fees includes a landing and parking fee and passenger airport tax.

Tassapon Bijleveld, chief executive of Thai AirAsia, said all its flights would move to the new airport on September 25, three days ahead of the official opening. The final 10 flights, both domestic and international, on September 24 will also fly to the new airport.

"Even though our facilities there, including the office at the new airport, are not complete we are confident everything will be ready in time," Tassapon said.

"The early move is an attempt to avoid traffic congestion at the new airport the night before the opening date," he said.

The airline has already informed passengers about the move. Ticket prices will not be increased, as the costs are the same now that the airport authorities have agreed to delay the landing-fee hike.

Thai AirAsia, a joint venture between Shin Corp and Malaysia's AirAsia, said its 70 daily flights would shift from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi on September 25.

One Two Go, the low-cost unit of Orient Thai, said it would transfer all its flights to the new airport on September 26, two days before the opening date.

One of the company's officers said the firm was keen to have a two-day head start to learn more about the airport.

Nok Air, another budget carrier and THAI's sister airline, confirmed it would transfer all its flights to Suvarnabhumi Airport on September 27, one day ahead of the official opening.

THAI's own local flights will be using the new airport from September 15, as required by the government.

Jetstar Asia will be the first foreign airline to use Suvarnabhumi Airport, flying from Singapore three times a day - also from September 15.

The new airport, which can serve up to 45 million passengers per year, will relieve congestion at the overstretched Don Muang, which is currently handling about two million passengers above its capacity.

The government hopes Suvarnabhumi will help Thailand compete against rival airports in Malaysia and Singapore to become the region's most important aviation hub.

Incidentally, the Don Muang expressway is today full of TG low loaders moving ground equipment.

Tolsti
1st Sep 2006, 12:02
Two first international flights smoothly flew out of Suvarnabhumi Airport Friday in a trial which officials described as successful.
One flight left for Hong Kong and the other for Singapore.
Thai Airways International (THAI) and Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) conducted test runs on all aspects of international flight operations, starting from passenger check-in and boarding pass issuance to the conveyor system.
Passenger check-in took only 20 seconds per person while the immigration and customs procedures went without any problem, Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal said, showing confidence that the new airport would be ready to serve international flights.
Full-scale operations are scheduled for Sept 28.
The only changes following the test, according to the minister, will be minor adjustment to security in the passenger terminal and aircraft handling in order to improve service.
From today to Sept 28, various airlines will conduct similar trial flights. As an added benefit, airport tax for THAI clients will be dropped from now until the official opening.
Chotisak Asapaviriya, AOT President, said the Australia-based Jet Star airlines will operate three daily flights from Suvarnabhumi to Singapore on Sept. 15.
Flying Officer Abhinan Sumanaseni, THAI President, said questionnaires were distributed to all passengers aboard the trial flights and data obtained would be used to assess services for improvement before the commencement of domestic flights from Suvarnabhumi on Sept. 15. THAI intends to operate five flights daily from the new airport from that day.
Somchai Sawasdeepon, General Manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said AOT will start phase-two construction of runways after the official opening.
Two runways are operational while the third and fourth will be added in next project, said Somchai, adding that the new international airport should increase THAI’s annual income by 6-7 percent.
Louis Moser, Joint Airport Manager QF/BA (Qantas and British Airways), said he believes the new airport will see a leap in growth in Thailand’s aviation, tourism and related businesses.

Bangkokeasy
4th Sep 2006, 03:24
Drove past the entrance to the airport yesterday. They are furiously building roads to the south, while at the same time repairing the road to the north and the entrance ramps to the airport, which were built a year ago and are already breaking up :rolleyes: . The end of next week will be the acid test, when some locos and domestic flights begin.

I'm pretty sure the 28th date will stand. There is too much national pride resting on this. Also, from the (current) Thai government perspective, they are desperate to get the airport open before the general election. This project has been dogged by allegations of corruption from the start. Taksin's government want the airport open and operating, so he can trumpet a success, rather than not yet open and vulnerable to investigations, which would likely expose malfeasance.

Incidentally, I understand the new PSC for international flights will be 700 Thai Baht (about Stg10), up from the current 500. According to conflicting reports, it will either be imposed from day one, or postponed to April 2007.

mingalababya
4th Sep 2006, 04:02
I flew past it a few weeks ago. All looks good from 10,000 ft. :ok:
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/mingalababya/36cb90fe.jpg