PDA

View Full Version : Caravan has engine failure out of Ngala

CALCULATOR
23rd Jul 2006, 17:04
I notice the the threads have been silent here in RSA about another CARAVAN engine failure.It happened with Fed air crew and a ET machine I believe out of Ngala with 9 pax on board about 10 days ago.The craft was at 6000ft outbound from Ngala to JIA.The crew did a awsome job and executed a perfect forced landing at a nearby private strip-well done boys.

Whats happening to our reliable PT 6 Caravans???:ok:

Phenomenon
25th Jul 2006, 12:06
It's called maintenance... or rather lack of maintenance... :}

south coast
25th Jul 2006, 14:02
have to agree with post above...

the pt6 started life as a pipeline pump, hence, pump turbine number 6 and would run for thousands of hours without failure.

but, for that to happen it has to be well maintained and serviced properly and at regular intervals.

leave the rest up to you...

Sir Osis of the river
25th Jul 2006, 14:19
Didn't pump no 6 run for over 30 000 hrs without failure?

However, yes pt6's, like any other engine, need routine maintenance and proper operation to be so reliable.

The moral of the story is if you fly a/c long enough, you are going to have an engine failure. BE PREPAIRED.

Ps: Was it Hohauzen's strip they landed on? Good job guys

:D :D

Contract Dog
25th Jul 2006, 14:47
reversing a van below 40kts on a dirt strip, power against brakes, on a dirt strip, innertial seperator not properly used, shutting down in high idle, not waiting 1 min to stablise before shut down; just some of the more stupid things I have seen guys and gals doing to this amazing engine! No matter how good it is (AND IT IS!!!) they were not built to be abused to the extent some people tend to. No wonder the poor engineers can't keep them working till their next overhaul. Problem is, it is the poor crew that fly it next, that end up having to deal with the consequences of previous miss use.

Jetstream_lover
25th Jul 2006, 15:54
Contract Dog is indeed very correct with what he states in the above post. Yes to an extent Maintaning the Airies is always an issue, however the way some of these aircraft are treated due to either poor training or crew neglect just adds to the abuse of what is ultimately a proved and tested design.

Like they say, a bad operator always blames his tool.
Like any woman (well most anyway) if you look after her, then she will look after you!

Just my 2 cents worth!

south coast
25th Jul 2006, 16:46
going to be a lot more than 2 cents to look after a woman!!!!!

Jetstream_lover
25th Jul 2006, 17:21
Depends which women, I think I know a few 2 cent'ers!!!!

6-String
25th Jul 2006, 18:26
Is that SA 2 Cents? Farging desperate I reckon!!! :}

Jetstream_lover
25th Jul 2006, 19:17
I meant American Cents. Classy my friend, however I have a sneaking suspicion that maybe this thread is going slightly off track!

Fly safely people.

Cheers

4HolerPoler
25th Jul 2006, 20:40
Well put J-lover - left-hand down a bit, to get this thread back on track before the thought-police arrive please.

4HP

trolli dolli
26th Jul 2006, 07:53
mmmmm......
very interesting boys,
i agree 2 cents is a little off the mark, but shutting down in high idle isn't always too bad, for the engine, i mean.

contract dog, check your pm

Q4NVS
26th Jul 2006, 07:58
Explain... :confused:

trolli dolli
26th Jul 2006, 08:17
sorry Q4NVS,

it means private message

Q4NVS
26th Jul 2006, 12:56
Haha Babes :}

And I thought we had another evening coming - go figure...

What I would like you 2 explain, is the Shutting Down in High Idle Bit.

:cool:

trolli dolli
26th Jul 2006, 13:09
well Q4NVS,

i think it may be possible sometimes if you park into a strong cold breeze because the cold air will blow straight through and cool it down anyway,

But that's just a chicks view!

Q4NVS
26th Jul 2006, 13:23
Merit in that, but it will have the same effect at Low Idle.

My opinion, in the contrary:
Lubricants in the Fuel is used to Lubricate the Thrust Bearings etc.

Shutting down the Fuel at High Idle generally gives another 20-25% of Turbine Speed (additional 7500-9350 rpm) to be accommodated with reducing Lubrication. Except if you leave the Boost Pumps on...

Like most things in life, this is tough on the "Parts".;)

spikefm
27th Jul 2006, 10:32
What does the poh say about that....but also don't ignore common sense..(feathering before cutting on dirt?)...

fly safe guys and gals

timmmmmmmmyyy!!!!!!

Jetstream_lover
27th Jul 2006, 12:12
Timmy is correct! The 'FAA' approved POH is the bible for the plane, at the same time, as timmy states, why mess up your prob by feathering it on the ground where you could pick up stones, dirts, cats, dogs etc!

Jimmy thinks Timmy is very smart!!!!

Contract Dog
29th Jul 2006, 19:08
POH aside, i still want to take TD for a flight, just no pulling ANYTHING on the flight deck above high idle!:O

Woof etc
29th Jul 2006, 19:33
Off topic I know, but any indication as to what caused the fan to stop in the Villancoullos accident?

CALCULATOR
2nd Aug 2006, 16:33
JA WOOF, THE 3RD PILOT IN THE BACK CAUGHT THE WHOLE INCIDENT ON TAPE. THE BRAND NEW CO PILOT PUT THE CONDITION LEVER IN THE CUT OFF POS, SHE MENT TO SELECT FLAP 20!!! ALL WAS EVEN CAUGHT ON TAPE AND SCARY THING THE PERSON TAPING DIED OF HIS INJURIES.