PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Fatigued!

wilco5
23rd Jul 2006, 11:11
Wondering if anyone can help? :confused:
Just wondering if this sits somewhere in between CAA rules or employment rules in the U.K. If wanting to report fatigued after a run of flights, can the company deem whether you are fatigued or not by looking at your roster and changing this to being sick and telling you to report this as insomnia? :ugh:
Any comments appreciated :)

apaddyinuk
23rd Jul 2006, 21:06
Well I cant answer your specific question HOWEVER, I would like this time to tell you (and remind the rest of you) about the BA JFK 6 (Possibly 7 now, but cant confirm that) who are under disciplinerary from BA as a result of going fatigued in JFK because after a long delay on ground with passengers onboard they were then put into a brothel of a hotel where they felt unsafe and unable to rest. BA are not disciplining them for going fatigued but for bringing the company into disripute (Cancelled flight etc).
All crew in the UK need to watch this case as it could have very serious consequences to the entire british crew community (and perhaps european community) regarding calling fatigue.

Chesty Morgan
23rd Jul 2006, 21:18
Fatigue and tiredness is a very personal thing.

For instance I can survive with about 3-4 hours sleep a night whilst carrying out 4 or 6 sector duties for 5 days. For somebody that needs more sleep than me, that amount of sleep could lead to fatigue.

About a year ago I had a week when I hardly slept (nothing to do with my roster), probably about 30 minutes a night, and by day 3 I was completely f****d. I called in sick for the last 2 days AND filed an ASR. I had no backlash from the company.

It is NOT up to the company to decide if you are fatigued or not. And it doesn't matter what kind of roster you have.

If you feel fatigued then you are. Call in sick and if you feel it's necessary file an ASR.

BOAC
24th Jul 2006, 19:41
My advice - be very careful to distinguish between being 'very tired' and 'fatigued'. I suggest you look up a few definitions for fatigue via Google?

It is accepted by the CAA that it is normal and to be expected to be pretty tired after a max duty/series of, but any company wil look closely at a claim of fatigue and your social life, domestic arrangements, home to duty distance/time etc may well come under scrutiny.

As has been said above IF YOU ARE GENUINELY FATIGUED, DO NOT FLY. That is what the ANO (UK) says. It is the law and it is your responsibility. The company may well ask for a doctor's report, as well, to confirm 'fatigue'. Insomnia may well be considered as a sickness.