PDA

View Full Version : Jan Smuts Come Back! All Is Forgiven...

The Trappist
22nd Jul 2006, 12:13
Good article found here:

The Travel Bug – (iafrica.com's travel newsletter)
Wed, 12 Jul 2006

Dear Traveller...

Travellers complain about many things when wandering through the crowded (well, in International departures at least) halls of Johannesburg International Airport, but in between the dark terminals, baggage pilfering and extortionate prices one complaint rarely heard is: "Don't you just hate airports that are named after the city they serve!"

Surprising then that the powers-that-be have decided that changing the name of Johannesburg International Airport to the O.R. Tambo International Airport is a matter of such grave importance that it should come before improving airport services so that, perhaps just once, a Friday evening commuter flight will depart on time!

If the airport was still named for some politician with a shady past I could see why a name change might be needed, but with a name as downright self-explanatory as Jo'Burg International it simply seems like a waste of time and money better spent elsewhere. If it was a toss-up between better airport facilities and a new name above the door I know which one I'd go for.

That's just my two cents though... tell us what you think in our forum.

Richard Holmes, Travel Editor
[email protected]

PAXboy
22nd Jul 2006, 12:32
I understand that, in 1994, Mandela said that places and towns were NOT to renamed after those that fought the struggle. In particular, I gather, that nowhere was to be called Mandela. The process has now started. My guess is that, when Mandela's time is over - they will have Kruger's statue off the plinth in Church Square, Pretoria and Madiba's in place, before his funeral is done.

Having got rid of names of politicians of one era, they would do well to avoid repeating the problem. However, caucasians must remember that we do not view these things the same way.

In the UK, Liverpool Airport has been named John Lennon Airport. That is a mouthful and denies the others of the group - far too devisive to my mind. ICAO (I think) have started to get cross about these and have reminded airport operators of the necessity to make the name of the feild relevant to it's location - so as to help foreign pilots.

I doubt that anything will stop this renaming and, once established at the major field for the country, the rest will follow in quick succession - particularly before 2010.

putt for dough
22nd Jul 2006, 12:44
Paxboy.....
That is Mr Mandela to you and all, and every self respecting Saffer would
agree. :mad:

I really hope that O R Tambo Int won't come through either.
Haven't we all adjusted and gotten used to JIA?

Contract Dog
22nd Jul 2006, 13:18
any idea how much a little venture like this would cost? :confused:

6-String
22nd Jul 2006, 14:53
Cost is not relevant when the SA GOV is footing the bill! After all, the money will come out of the bottomless SARS purse..! :ok:

B Sousa
22nd Jul 2006, 15:42
Lots of name changes before its over....I see they nailed Potch also. That will take place soon...
Talk about tourists getting confused. Wait another year or so and try and get to those cities once named Pretoria, Johannesburg etc. I guess Kapstad is close to next...
It was certainly easier booking for JIA as one wanted to go to Johannesburg, but to fly to Tambo International, I dont even know where Tambo Town is??
It goes with the change Im sure, somebody else is running the show now and thats the way it goes. In the words of some now great Government official , like or get lost. Many are doing that.
Wont be long before "Political Asylum" may be a reason for leaving...

DawnTreader
22nd Jul 2006, 20:49
Paxboy.....
That is Mr Mandela to you and all, and every self respecting Saffer would
agree. :mad:

He'll always be just plain old Mandela to a lot of people. He's not my uncle or yours :p . He's a politician of note, that's it comrade.:E Same as Thatcher, Blair, De Klerk, PW, Kortbroek or any other mortal being.

PAXboy
23rd Jul 2006, 01:49
Thank you DT, I could not have put it better myself. I had presumed that pfd was joking and had simply forgotten to put the ;) on the end. ;)

jetjackel
23rd Jul 2006, 04:10
How about "Otisville"?

putt for dough
23rd Jul 2006, 07:47
He'll always be just plain old Mandela to a lot of people.
Fair enough... How he can just be "plain old Mandela" beats me
after everything he has done for all South Africans!
Anyways we are all entitled to our own opinions on the great man:D
Lastly I beg for this thread not to turn into a political nightmare(black vs white) like so many others had from the likes of our "friend" Afriviation.
Think we all have had enough of that!
Peace out:) :)

Smells like...
23rd Jul 2006, 08:32
Makes you wonder, if there is a future change of Goverment in SA, if they'll change the name again. Hey maybe SA could get the record for the most name changes for an airport!!!

Oh, Putt for Dough and Paxman, i see ol' Madib's had no problem with PE getting changed to the Nelson Mandela Metropole. He doesn't walk on water you know.

putt for dough
23rd Jul 2006, 12:01
I just read in the Sunday Times that complaints about
the renaming of JIA to O R Tambo can be sent to
[email protected]
or send a fax to 012 440 4485. Memela will forward all
complaints to Minister Pallo Jordan.
Next sunday 30th July 2006 will be the deadline for all
submissions, and a decision will then be made by
The Department of Arts and Culture.
Lets get our voices heard people. Forward this email address to
all you know that are against the renaming of JIA:ok:

6-String
23rd Jul 2006, 12:24
Who do I write to if I'm happy about the name change? In my opinion the Airport is deserving of the name. :yuk:

Frogman1484
23rd Jul 2006, 12:33
Who cares what it is called, you are still going to call Johannesburg Johannesburg international, even if it was called Sipho Mafusa intenational!!!!

PAXboy
23rd Jul 2006, 13:06
The govt is, of course, entitled to change the name to anything they like.

Mr Mandela is, of course, already a living legend and in the history books for ever. Dropping the title of well known people is a commonplace. His affectionate name Madiba is not known outside of ZA (other than to people associated with th country).

JIA (in full) is self explanatory to anyone who has heard of South Africa.

ORTIA (in full) speaks only to those who know something of the country's history. Which excludes a considerable majority of their tourists and business visitors, as they only name that is known is Mr. Mandela.

'Heathrow' works because the name has been there for over 50 years and is the name of the place upon which the airport was built.

By carefully leaving the name of the country alone and only altering the province names and obviously objectional town names, I think they scored very highly in the international business world - upon which their livelihood depends. If they wish to change the names of cities (which they are entitled to do) then they must expect people to be anxious.

Changing the name of your major airport to a person that is unknown, is risky. Not least as tourism is of vital importance to them. Western travellers do not like going to airports that sound like they are in the middle of 'darkest Africa' - Yes, I know that is silly but that is how they are. The tourist boom can only last just so long.

Shrike200
23rd Jul 2006, 21:21
Naming airports after people (or, should I rather say "Some w**ker who I couldn't care less about") just reminds me of all the crap airports I've been to in all the crap third world countries I've worked in. They may have the best of intentions, but frankly, the idea just plain sucks.

I remember (for example) Hassi Massoud (sp?) in Algeria- 'Krim Belcacem' (or something like that). I mean......is that supposed to make me care about who he was or something? I still don't know, and quite frankly never want to know. In my mind it cheapens the memory of people who may indeed (or not, as is often the case in Africa) have done good things. Now I actively don't give a toss about them.

JG1
24th Jul 2006, 07:58
You all seem to forget that Tambo and all the rest, Mbeki, Winnie, even Mandela, Sexwale and all the new rich black businessmen planned and executed a campaign of violence against the whole SA population in order to win power for themselves. To take control of the country. They condoned necklacing their own people, innumerable killings and township murders. They condoned the bombings of pubs, restaurants, even churches resulting in the deaths of innocents. Sure there was apartheid and sure apartheid was just another set of thugs grabbing power for themselves. And just as sure you have been taken in by the 'Freedom' Struggle. George W Bush uses the word 'Freedom' all the time too, to justify his illegal projection of power across the globe and his grab for resources.

The Tambos, the Mandelas, Modise, Tshwete, Omar, Slovo, Nzo, Zuma, Jordan, Sexwale, et al fought and killed for their power which those still alive are now using to enrichen themselves and their own families and kin.

The poor black man in the township still hasn't benefited, the 'Truth' of the struggle rings hollow.

Now they seek to glorify themselves by renaming places after themselves.

Heroes? ha:yuk:

Whats next? Robert McBride Airport, Durban?

6-String
24th Jul 2006, 08:18
QUOTE: "You all seem to forget that..."
---

No pal, we haven't forgotten, but thanks for writing it down and reminding us all.

JG1
24th Jul 2006, 17:41
6-string I should not have to remind you.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning you should remember.

Lots of our mates died to STOP what is happening right now in SA.

Are we going to just shrug it off and say, 'Ahh, old Madiba...isn't he great!?' NO! he isn't because he is doing nothing to halt the criminal carnage and the wealth-grabbing going on in SA today. Which he brought about. A peaceful, democratic land. In which TWENTY THOUSAND MURDERS A YEAR ARE COMMITTED??

Today's fantastic news :

* a gang of fifteen AK-47 armed robbers attack My Kitchen restaurant in Fourways
* two more people killed on the Rivonia freeway offramp, including a Qatar Airways manager
*An old man was found dead in Mopani, near Musina, with his heart missing and other fatal wounds to his head and stomach
*etc
*etc
et :mad: cetera

Its out of hand and all these fools can do is rename things they did not make after themselves. Complain about the crime and the Minister of Safety and Security tells you if you don't like it, leave. What?? And we continue to pay these cretins tax?

To waste on changing names....and polishing turds :mad: