PDA

View Full Version : squirrell tips

Flyting
22nd Jul 2006, 12:07
Hi all,
Anyone got operational tips about the AS 350 B,BA,B2,B3 with regard to power comparisons on the torque guage.... IGE vs OGE, alt diff (1000'), temp diff (degrees C), weight (lbs), etc and what is needed for the different take-off profiles (cushion creep, normal, steep/towering, or vertical)

Teefor Gage
22nd Jul 2006, 21:33
Just a few questions that you might like to answer to help budding Squirrel drivers out there help you out.......

What day do you intend to fly
What will the temperature be
What will be the pressure altitude
What will the wind strength be
Would you intend to take-off into wind or out of wind?

Other than that, I would suggest spending some time with a qualified instructor in the real mccoy and get him/her to put you through the profiles you have asked about.

Oogle
23rd Jul 2006, 05:45
Whirly

Most probably uinder your seat in the aircraft there is a blue covered book. It's called the "flight manual". It should have all the information you need.

If you haven't got a flight manual and are looking at buying an aircraft - ask the person whose aircraft you are looking at buying to lend you their copy.

If you are looking at a new machine, your local Eurocopter dealer will be more than happy to do a comparison for you.

Your question is a little too general to give a detailed answer.:cool:

Jack Mehoff
24th Jul 2006, 00:15
Flew an AS350B2 from Louisianna to Anchorage. Saw engine tempreture changes, performance changes, especially taking off at Denver Colorado, which is 5,500ft with a DA of 10,000! due to being 100 degrees outside!:uhoh: 2 big pilots, and bags, wow! we came up very slowly, I was seeing my gauges read some indications I have never seen before.:eek: To Anchorage where the enviroment was totally different. I regularly take off and land with 15- 20kt tail winds, and she handles them just fine. Just need to keep your wits about you. I love the AS350!!:ok:

OverTq
24th Jul 2006, 07:50
For training we use 5ft hover power as the reference for take-offs.If simulated max pwr is the same as hover pwr, a cushion creep is possible. For an IGE towering take off 5-10% over hvr pwr is required. For an OGE take off, a minimum of 10% over hvr pwr is needed. A figure of 10% less than hvr pwr is a suitable figure to use as a max for teaching limited pwr running landings - it ensures that the run on speed is not excessive.

Flyting
24th Jul 2006, 16:11
Gee... Besides Overtq you guys are a hell of a lot of help.... Thanks

I'm looking for a few rule of thumb tips about power and take-offs, IGE vs OGE etc. No need to know about PA/DA or alt, winds, etc...

For Example: In a R22/R44 you lose about 1"MAP off the Max and must add 0.5"MAP to the IGE for every 1000'alt gained to get your power available for T/Off & Landings...

Seen this posted about a Jetty before.... Mostly you don't have to worry about power in the 350's but surely Squirrel pilots aren't that :mad: :mad: ...

OverTq
25th Jul 2006, 07:17
Tq is Tq whatever the DA, so the margins I gave you are useable whatever the alt (just means the hover figure will be higher the higher or hotter you go). There are graphs in the RFM which give max weight for hover IGE and OGE at different alts/temps.

Flyting
25th Jul 2006, 16:53
OK, lets try this again and keep with only the B2...

What is the difference or margin needed on the torque guage when...

You are hovering IGE compared to OGE
You increase your altitude 1000'
The OAT increases 10 degrees C
You add, for example, 30 lbs
You need to do a cushion creep take-off
You need to do a normal take-off
You need to do a towering take-off
You need to do a verical take-offThanks OverTq for the assist...:ok:

Hughesy
25th Jul 2006, 20:00
Dont fed them, the little critters wont stay away your tent!! :} :E
Hughesy