PDA

View Full Version : Oh No! not another announcement at BA CON

Noiffsorbuts
21st Jul 2006, 21:30
You heard it here first!

BIG news on its way.:confused:

What is it this time?

Sale? Closure? New aircraft...............Management buy out??:yuk:

Clues might be found in the sudden panic to sort the outstanding pension deficit.......issuing of BA uniforms and conformity to BA SOPs (monitored approaches etc.). GB Airways using the BA Connect brand.

The clues are all there!

Just interpret them. The end game is nigh:suspect:

Blackcap
21st Jul 2006, 21:39
I'd rather work for Emirates than the present bunch of cowboys. I'd rather work for anybody rather than the present bunch of cowboys. In fact - I'm leaving - bye!

Noiffsorbuts
21st Jul 2006, 21:48
WRONG!! Nothing to do with the Emirates thing.

GB leaving LHR (announced today), concentrating on LGW.

GB operating already as BA Connect. New services start soon.

BA Con Intercom mysteriously not working tonight

Willie desperate to get LGW under control......

BA Con pilots have proved on every occasion that they will do everything they are told and work for peanuts.......

It all adds up to an new unholy alliance.n'est ce pas??

Essex Girl
21st Jul 2006, 21:54
N'est ce pas - that's a bit of a mouthful for me?

But when I was on my crm course cuddly Paul in Didsbury said something about a Spanish connection. As for his bruv-in-law well what he was asking for was definitely of french origin - no way ho-se!

luv and kisses

Jane

145qrh
21st Jul 2006, 22:12
As ex Bral/LC/BACX and now Ek,,,please,please,please stay away from anything to do with EK....

Ahhh, a cold Shed at 6am,early morning into SYY for a Bacon roll....those were the days...nostalgia, cant beat it.

Chesty Morgan
21st Jul 2006, 22:22
- that's a bit of a mouthful for me?

You've just ruined my favourable impression of Essex Girls:{

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Essex Girl
21st Jul 2006, 22:23
Iain darling

it was never cold when I was with you!

Those early SYY flights - how we hated it at the time?

Hope you are keeping well

luv and kisses

PS Chesty - do I know you? You wouldna forget me (or my big mouth) if you do! :)

Chesty Morgan
21st Jul 2006, 22:25
Who's Iain:confused: Huh....you can never find an innocent woman these days:p

145qrh
21st Jul 2006, 22:28
That would be me :) .....

Essex girl..;)

Railgun
21st Jul 2006, 23:52
BACON making money, BA LGW SH going to BACON and GB are shortly to become owned by BACON.....?

TURIN
22nd Jul 2006, 00:06
:suspect: Look this BAcon nonsense is all very interesting....however can we get back on topic and find out more of what happened in a cold shed at 6am with a bacon butty an Essex girl and some chap called Iain. Ta.;)

Barber's Pole Bob
22nd Jul 2006, 04:27
Think the GB stuff may be some ambitious twaddle from the Con's.

GB are to expand ops to Morroco from LHR and introduce a FEZ flight from LHR to using the slots from the discontiuted LHR-GIB service which will return to LGW for the winter.

Noiffsorbuts
22nd Jul 2006, 07:01
Ah..........nothing exciting.

Just one more base closure.

Dont you just luv this pathetic apology of a shrinking airline and the idiots who run it? all Evans knows what to do is to run from the competition.

Still. there will be nothing left to close in 18 months time :ugh:

BEagle
22nd Jul 2006, 08:40
I'm not really sure what conair is trying to do?

Recently we had a meeting in Madrid. I flew BHX-FRA-MAD and return in Business Class with LH and Spanair; a colleague flew MAN-MAD direct and return with conair in Economy 'buy-your-own-breakfast' class.

Guess which flight was the more expensive?

conair - by €148!

Pizzaro
22nd Jul 2006, 09:01
Which base to close then, have they anything elese to announce?

marlowe
22nd Jul 2006, 13:27
Heard rumour that EDI base was to go mainline could be the base closure????

False Capture
22nd Jul 2006, 14:01
EDI base was to go mainlineDon't be silly, BA don't want to expand into the regions. This sort of rumour is simply wishful thinking by those who work on the ground at EDI. You get the same sort of nonsense at MAN regarding rumours of the 737s returning.

I feel sorry for the BA Connect pilots with constant rumours and announcements regarding base closures or fleet run-downs. Good luck.

skianyn vannin
22nd Jul 2006, 14:21
The word on the streets is that Inverness could be for the chop. Mainline are rumoured to be taking over the INV-LGW route with a 737 from Gatwick. The Inverness 146 GOINV is supposedly going to sphincter island with GMABR returning to MAN.

marlowe
22nd Jul 2006, 14:30
I agree mainline dont wish to expand into the regions but there is the small matter of the Edi//lcy routes, and lcy itself. BACON have the aircraft that are best suited to the route the RJ, now i know it has its faults but it is at present what is required So if Big BA want to continue or expand the LCY idea then maybe the mainlining of EDI might be the easiest option but then again the INV idea could hold water!!

HZ123
22nd Jul 2006, 16:22
Concpiracy theories abound. Last week we were due to roll out a corporate course at Didsbury for regions and BAcon. The latter group pulled out on the day as directed from higher up. Waterside told me this week that the regions training is not now required. I like others of you deduce that moves are afoot, there are however 120 ramp staff to be employed at LGW which also supports the GB moves I suppose. Please don,t imagine that many of the mainline staff are happy at the loss of work.

False Capture
22nd Jul 2006, 16:44
skianyn vannin, great theory. Do you think they'll take the opportunity to dispose of the BAe146s?

Bacon Slicer
22nd Jul 2006, 17:09
Why don't you all wake up and smell the coffee. Bacon is a 2006 version of the Titanic! The whole operation is holed beneath the waterline, the rudder is jammed and the crews are jumping into the lifeboats- BACON is doomed and the sooner you nice chaps see the future the better.

The business model does not work and W.W. knows this very well- he has thrown it a lifeline but only one that is to short.

It amazes me that Professional pilots are by definition clever people however at BACON so many stick their neck in the sand hoping the storm will pass! BALPA will save you in the nick of time, wont it?

Making money as a traditional regional airline in Europe is no longer possible- Look how FlyBe realized this in 2003 and made the leap.
I have said this before but not to labor my point I will say it all again, had Cassini been allowed to move ahead with GO then a packaged GO/BA Regional/Brymon and even those hat wearing Muppet's from IOM could have made an invincible 737 LoCo package in the UK. Instead it has not happened, No way can the current fleet/management/culture stay afloat for much longer. If INV closes then more are sure to follow. :}

hec7or
22nd Jul 2006, 19:27
We at the Danish franchise could see it 10 yrs ago, a 737 LoCo with BA backing would have been unbeatable because we had everything in place and a world class brand to boot.

I still can't understand why BA dropped the ball and let the opposition stick it in the back of the net.

The attitude at the time was "let's stick our heads in the sand and paint our tails stupid colours. That'll show Stelios and the Camel how to run an airline!"

We could have had Danish BaCon years ago!

skysod
22nd Jul 2006, 21:03
I'm one Bacon pilot with 8 years service who wont sleep well tonight! Dont know if I should jump ship now or wait to see what the fall-out will bring!:confused:

lord mash
22nd Jul 2006, 22:26
:8 :8 Rumour sou to shed its staff and edi crew to operate sou routes nightstopping in sou.

Kirkwall
23rd Jul 2006, 07:36
And in the Times Online today in an article about WW trying to sell off assets to fix the BA pension. Wonder who would make an offer for BAcon when it too has a relatively large (although improving) pension deficit.
Thats nice, Mr E and has sidekick Mr E using every excuse under the sun to shaft the BAcon pension so that it can be sold to support their own scheme.

Or is it the much rumoured management buyout?

Walsh is thought to have received offers for BA Connect, a regional airline that flies from Birmingham and Manchester, but has not made a decision on its future. He is understood to be eager to cash in on BA’s holding in The Airline Group, the consortium of seven UK airlines that holds a 42% stake in National Air Traffic Services, the company that runs air traffic control in Britain.

As usual, WW communicating with staff through the press.

judge11
23rd Jul 2006, 11:31
See this morning's Sunday Times Business. Amongst the main bit about BA selling off Air Miles was a line or 2 about Walsh receiving offers for BA Connect. It'll go with the rest of the tarnished silver. Inverness's demise has been on the rumour mill for at least the past 5 years and if 'they' decide to operate the service with 73s from LGW then the same logic must extend to Fraggle.:D

brain fade
23rd Jul 2006, 16:02
SOU & INV to close:{

GLA to re open!:ok:

Max Steel
23rd Jul 2006, 16:06
145rgh = Iain = Jungle me thinks!!!!!!!!!:ok:

skianyn vannin
23rd Jul 2006, 18:34
Well False Capture from a personal point of view I hope the 146's stay till I can make good my escape. I've heard a rumour that they are only leased on a monthly basis, except the festering junk heap GMABR which is owned by the company. As such it should be easy to dispose of them when required.

At the moment though, they are the only >50 seat A/C at MAN and are required for the MXP and MAD routes, so I think they will stay for a while.

I've got to agree with Bacon slicer. This company is ****ed. I only wished I'd realised this a little sooner, and made more positive efforts to leave.

Maximuss
23rd Jul 2006, 20:30
Senior Didsbury contact confirmed over a beer or five (OK not in as many words, but was very helpful in discussing potential bases for me to bid for) that INV for the chop. Wouldn't confirm propsective buyer, but wouldn't deny it was Eastern either, which means nothing one way or t'other. RJs are definitely not leased on a monthly basis, though I was told that handbacks start next year for four years before they are all gone. I believe GOINV is also owned as well as MABR. Not sure, but I believe yet another 146 may also be owned.
My only problem is believing that Eastern have or could raise the money. No, my other problem is working out why anyone would want to buy us, since all they would have to do is wait a while, acquire thye routes for nothing and the aircraft at a lower lease rate than the current one, which was set up in the glory days of CityFlyer Express!
On the other hand, just because WW mentioned an offer in passing, doesn't mean it was either factual or serious. Can any of you imagine who would put in an offer??? I can't.:rolleyes:

marlowe
23rd Jul 2006, 20:56
Lufthansa had a sniff around BA CON not sure if they were serious though and i did here from a management bod that BMI were close to buying a few months back!!!! not sure how much truth you can put to this tho, i cant think why either would want us, unless it is for routes or more likely slots

Maximuss
23rd Jul 2006, 21:06
but BA bought us for the only slots we had which were worth anything, ie the Manx LHR slots. Classic asset stripping.:\
What would be the effect of the pension deficit on any sale? I mean, if (for example) we were bought by BMI, would they have to asssume the pension deficit, and would they then be bound to make it right? I've got ten years plus, and it's really the only reason I'm still here. Yet another career mistake....:ugh:

False Capture
23rd Jul 2006, 21:59
Only a bunch of idiots would buy BA Connect. Therefore, it's got to be a mangement buy-out.:}

marlowe
23rd Jul 2006, 22:39
I cant see our present mismanagement buying out BA CON lets face it they are not smart enough ,and besides they would rather take the golden parachute from BA then show how bad they are at management by trying to run the company on money they have raised themselves, if you were an investor would you take them seriously?

Bacon Slicer
23rd Jul 2006, 23:05
:( The reason BA mainline is moving onto the INV route is because they also are Ailing (no pun intended) - they will close ranks and take any cream you guy's may have made.

BACON is not salable, they own now't and like Kodak who cant sell 35MM camera film because we have all gone digital,...... they have simply missed the last life boat to be lowered.

If BACON had about 25-30 old 737's then they would possess a critical mass to jump into the thriving loco market. Instead they have equipped with a monstrous fleet of unsuited aeroplanes. They have no place to go.

tell me otherwise!

I know some really nice people at Bacon, however others have assumed too much that the parent will save the day. Disruption payments, 2 sector days, confirmed world travel, final salary pension for some etc etc etc and the BAR remnant has ensured the sea cocks are open and the old hulk will disappear below the waves. The good news is that the real business remains fizzing and jobs are available to those who can change and adapt to the future.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
24th Jul 2006, 00:20
I will leave the interpretaion of this annoucement to others with more knowledge than I have. The following is taken from the GB Airways website:

Franchise partner joins BA Connect at Manchester

British Airways’ franchise partner GB Airways is to fly under the new BA Connect brand from Manchester from September 1, 2006.
The airline has enjoyed a highly successful franchise partnership with British Airways for 15 years and currently flies to 35 destinations from Manchester, Gatwick and Heathrow airports.

However, with the launch of BA Connect, the wholly owned British Airways subsidiary flying from 14 airports in the UK, GB Airways has decided to fully become part of the regional operation.

Its flights from Gatwick and Heathrow are unaffected

The move to become a BA Connect franchise partner means that from September 1 GB Airways flights from Manchester will offer:

• A single class cabin on all aircraft.
• High-quality, buy on board, hot and cold catering.
• Year-round, changeable, one-way fares
• A new offering for business and frequent flyers called ‘BA Connect Plus’.

Restricted and non-changeable tickets disappear, all tickets will be changeable, no matter how little they cost*. British Airways’ Club Europe brand will no longer feature on the GB Airways services from Manchester.

There will be two ticket types:

• ‘BA Connect’ - a non-restricted and changeable ticket*. Travellers will also accumulate BA Miles on every fare.
• ‘BA Connect Plus’ – a non-restricted and changeable ticket with airport lounge access and instant seat selection at the time of booking included in the price. Travellers will be able to earn Executive Club frequent flyer points and BA Miles.

All customers will be eligible for membership of British Airways’ Executive Club, as well as having access to on-line check-in, on-line boarding pass printing, and self-service check-in.

The GB Airways BA Connect service will takes to the air on September 1, 2006. Bookings will be made through the ba.com website from June 6 as well as through travel agents and the British Airways telephone reservations centres.

Prior to the official move to BA Connect GB Airways customers may continue to make reservations through the normal booking channels**

The aircraft livery and staff uniforms will remain unchanged.

Kevin Hatton managing director of GB Airways, said: “This is a natural and strategic business move for us and will avoid any confusion for passengers travelling from Manchester. There will be a consistent and high quality product offering across the BA Connect network with the distinctive British Airways brand and the wide range of benefits associated with a full service airline at competitive prices.”

David Evans managing director of BA Connect said: “In the five weeks since BA Connect was launched we have had some very favourable feedback from our customers who are enjoying new low fares, quality food and drink to buy on board and the same quality services. These include on-line check-in, home printed boarding passes and the ability to buy fares that give them access to the Terraces Lounges and seat selection at time of booking.

"GB Airways customers will also be able to enjoy all these benefits in future and I'm sure their customers will be equally impressed. I wish them all the very best in their new venture."

*Changes to tickets will incur a competitive £30 administration fee per transaction, with the exception of the highest level, refundable ‘BA Connect Plus fare’, which will be exempt from administration fees for changes.

** Customers with existing Club Europe bookings, or making new bookings before 6 June for flights from 1 September will have the opportunity to change to the new fares or claim a refund without penalty

BugSpeed
24th Jul 2006, 13:42
All very interesting stuff - I suppose GB will be getting a couple of A318's to do the LCY routes too.

But what about the shed, the Essex Girl and some bloke called Iain?!

BS

judge11
24th Jul 2006, 14:37
"David Evans managing director of BA Connect said: “In the five weeks since BA Connect was launched we have had some (one?) very favourable feedback from our customers who are enjoying new low fares, (poor and extortionately priced)quality food and drink to buy on board and the same (degraded)quality services. These include on-line check-in, home printed boarding passes and the ability to buy fares that give them access to the Terraces Lounges and seat selection at time of booking.(well whoopy-do!)"
What complete and utter ballcocks! When oh when is this guy going to get the axe. Oops! Sorry, 5 years of muti-million pound losses and complete chaos has to ensure many more years of unencumbered incompetence at BA.:ugh:

Volmet South
25th Jul 2006, 06:50
Bacon is a 2006 version of the Titanic!

Not quite ! The Titanic was run by the White Star management team whereas BACON have the White Feather management team. That bunch of cowards have offered no opposition to FlyBe who in turn are eyeing up the soon to be vacated BACON offices at SOU.

Pin Head
25th Jul 2006, 09:10
So when is the official annoncement to be made?

skysod
25th Jul 2006, 11:17
Management to meet and greet the troops at SOU today. To say what?- your guess is as good as mine!!

GRD Boy
25th Jul 2006, 16:02
Any news on the Management visit to SOU?

Get the feeling the boys and girls are being shafted as I speak! Presumably in time for the BIG announcement tomorrow that (management speak) to consolidate, shore up, simplify........blah blah blah the business we have decided to close SOU.

Rolling over and letting FlyBE have their pickings is not the answer. Get the feeling Management are scared of even the smallest fight. I remember the GMFO saying that they were not prepared to join a fight of attrition to see who bled to death first. Who says it is gonna be a bloodbath! I believe the loads were good out of SOU.

Who am I to doubt. I'm sure as usual it is another unprofitable base in the eyes of the people with THE BIG PICTURE and must go. FlyBE couldn't possibly make a go of it when we shut up shop and remove any competition from the base!

MaxReheat
25th Jul 2006, 16:10
Would this be the same GMFO who declared, when questions were asked by the troops at Manchester at the appearance of GB on their home turf a few years back, that GB were after 'the bucket and spade brigade' and would have no impact on operations at Manchester?

Southampton used to be a key base in the old empire, since sold down the river (the Test, I think) by this current bunch of buffoons.

sixgee
25th Jul 2006, 16:51
Just heard, SOU IS to close. My sympathies go out to all the staff there. They have been doing their best as long as I remember and deserve better. 6g

The Little Prince
25th Jul 2006, 19:24
I would just like to offer my most sincere condolences to the guys and gals at SOU. I remember, (as has already been said) when it was the jewel in the crown, and so many old hands are still based there. They worked so hard, (I remember operating in and out) Cath W pretty well built the base with her bare hands, and so very many put so much effort into its success; I can hardly believe it has been sold down the river like this. I remember BALPA saying over and over during the last four years how important it was not to let Flybe get a foothold, how we should fight for the base, how the loads were slipping. But no, it clearly did not form part of the great BA plan (ha ha) and was allowed to die a death of 1000 cuts. Even then, Hutchings could not be @rsed to tell everyone together, he had to leak it to the engineers, who naturally informed everyone else. I almost wish I had still been part of BACON, and been able to listen in to what I'm sure was a fairly frank debate at SOU today. Tosser!!!!:mad:
These absolute management pygmies should be ashamed of themselves. Terry and Norman at least had business acumen, and recognised winners, which was what SOU was; that's how they built up a hugely profitable business, only to see it ruined, de-motivated and hacked about by biased accounting practices from Waterside. What a pity Norman took his eye off the ball and let Hutchings in! Hutchings - HAH! :} :eek: :( Hutchings, Witts and Evans have just let Flybe walk in an open door, completely disgraceful.....but I think it will remove the competition SOU posed to LHR, which BA never liked.
I'm with that competition now, (and not ashamed of it, though I would rather the move had never been necessary) and I have to say it reminds me of BRAL/Manx in the good old days. Not everyone is happy, there's the usual grousing and grumbling, but at least I feel part of the team, not despised as an expensive component. Even our new Head of Training is a BACON escapee!!
What now? What will close next? Who would buy BACON when they could just wait for it to fall over, and then step into the routes. I have a fair slice of pension with BACON, and therefore an interest in its survival, please tell me there is hope......:rolleyes:

tiggerific_69
25th Jul 2006, 20:01
Little Prince,i flew with your new head of training on his last flight at BACON,very nice man.
I would like to offer my very sincere condolences to those down at SOU,there are some fabulous people there.I have never worked out of the base myself,but have seen many up at BHX and they have been a joy to work with.It is appalling that the news comes out this way.
It looks like the ship has finally started to go under the water since it started sinking,and for me maybe its time to clime aboard a safer ship. Best of luck to all you hard workers at SOU, you deserve better than this.

skysod
25th Jul 2006, 20:33
Tha trouble with the management at BACON is that they spend most of their time fighting there own dedicated workforce, but when it comes to a fight with the commercial opposition they just don't have the stomache (or the business brain) for it!
Last one out please switch off the light and leave the key under the mat!
This company which I was once very proud to be a part of has becoming a laughing stock managed by a bunch of w**kers!
It's enough to make you :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

lord mash
25th Jul 2006, 20:48
I and others at sou love our base just want to cry and cry not just losing our jobs but losing a special family. Well and truly shafted and what a nice way to find out leaked so that we were already aware of the worst by today anyway. Grrrrrrrrrrr

MaxReheat
25th Jul 2006, 21:17
BACON's Inglorious Battle (Dis)Honours

Belfast
Aberdeen
Plymouth
Newcastle
Cardiff
Glasgow
Leeds

and now Southampton.

Good luck to all.

Volmet South
25th Jul 2006, 21:49
Bristol and Inverness next...... I hope I am wrong

liquid sunshine
25th Jul 2006, 22:52
Is anyone able to give the official reasons as to why Bacon are pulling out of SOU? Are Bacon pulling out of SOU completely or will the routes continue to be operated in reverse?

Free2fly
26th Jul 2006, 09:05
Have you seen on Flybe website that they are increasing from 4 to 6 flights Southampton Glasgow, stating its due to high demand.

Norman Stanley Fletcher
26th Jul 2006, 10:45
One of the features of loco operations is a voracious apetite for a good fight. It is, alas, inevitable that FlyBe will take advantage of such easy prey in the form of Bacon management. You cannot blame them as they are doing exactly what they should do given the gift horse looking them straight in the mouth.

Noiffsorbuts
26th Jul 2006, 12:08
Indeed no one can blame the opposition for rubbing BACON's nose in it.

What is mindbogglingly incomprehensible is that the same people who got us all into this mess are left in control.

Looking back on David Evan's career I am not aware of one year in at least the last ten that he has presided over an operation that made profit.

Why on earth doesnt Willie sack him and his cronies and start again?

Actualy I know the answer......... He has already given up on BACON and is now just letting it wither on the vine as our leases run out.

The low cost concept based on 145 aircraft never had a cats chance in hell...............

The more bases that can be closed before the inevitable happens the less there will be to bother about.....

To add insult to injury "Intercom" which facilitates communications between management and pilots as well as providing a general chat forum has gone down again. Coincidence??

I think not.

fredtheanorak
26th Jul 2006, 19:52
It seems Luton could also be added to the list of tactical withdrawls when the last BACON daily rotation into GeneralMotors Parkway is "reviewed" shortly.:\

Banzai Eagle
26th Jul 2006, 20:33
Rumours coming out now about mainline BA at MAN and GLA ceasing???

Railgun
26th Jul 2006, 22:02
Rumours coming out now about mainline BA at MAN and GLA ceasing???

Rumour has it the MAN shuttle crew base will be closing inline with other UK base's.

BugSpeed
27th Jul 2006, 13:53
Well,

Intercom is STILL down.

I suppose you could argue the management are adopting an "open door" policy :ugh:

Let BACON staff out and other operators in!

The reason Terry knew his stuff was because he started in aviation by sweeping the hangar floor and cutting the grass at Lympne! If only BACON had people like that who were in the management "team"..............................sorry, I was getting confused for a minute. I couldnt possibly know anything about airline managament - having a management degree and airline experience would over qualify me.

If communication is a key to success (which it is), I am not surprised that sooooooooo many people have CV's in with other airlines and caring less and less on a daily basis about what happens at BACON: THE PRODUCT DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback saying "...4 cans of beer is not enough...." has been completely ignored and as a result our poor cabin crew are having to answer for our "management's" lack of planning. BUT ITS ALRIGHT! WE ARE MAKING MONEY! Oh really.

Management is pro-active not re-active; perhaps CRM should be binned in favour of "Human Resource Management and other useful techniques".

Anyway, what do I know? I only fly the line for 750hrs a year. Apparently you need to fly a considerable 2 sectors every 28 days in order to truly understand things.:=

BS

arelix
27th Jul 2006, 21:18
Post from Intercom by PH:
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:16 am Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cannot explain the unavailability of Intercom, but it has nothing to do with any announcement or deliberate action by the Company. If it wasn’t available then it was a genuine technical problem
<snip>
I will ring you to discuss the remainder of your post.
<snip>
I will leave you to contact DW and explain what you are suggesting. He may well ask for an apology – I would.
END

Quite frankly, given the circumstances, I find this B****** unacceptable.

MercenaryAli
27th Jul 2006, 21:24
. . so good to see that BACon is being run in the same fashion by a similar bunch of buffoons who ran Manx aka British Regional. Where do they find these morons? :ugh:

arelix
27th Jul 2006, 21:30
Didsbury:)

wacky
27th Jul 2006, 21:53
. . so good to see that BACon is being run in the same fashion by a similar bunch of buffoons who ran Manx aka British Regional. Where do they find these morons?

These are the buffoons who used to to run Manx/BRAL as middle management - they have since had any brain cells they might have possessed removed by BA managers seconded to BACX (people such as McL and TDLF) - and are now far worse than the original product. Backed by HR dumbos on mainline golden handshakes and headed up by Evans (enough said).

Noiffsorbuts
28th Jul 2006, 06:40
Totally agree Wacky. The little taster from our internal web site shows exactlywhat we have to put up with. Here is PH at his best, a bully who expects us to believe him because HE says so.....and you'd better watch out because he is going to put a note on your file........

And this a BA company for Chrissake!!

The real culprit apart from some faceless idiots in BA who couldnt run a corner shop is our ChiefExecutive David Evans.

The buck stops with him and every single significant change of direction (about 16) in the last five years lead by him has taken the company one step closer to the brink.

The man is a total disaster who only knows how to lead failure.

What is wrong with his bosses in BA not to have rewarded him with the boot a long time ago????

28th Jul 2006, 07:41
What is wrong with his bosses in BA not to have rewarded him with the boot a long time ago????

One assumes he is achieving what 'big' BA want?

He has presided over the ousting of 100's / virtually all, mainline personnel from the regions. Installing in their place a workforce with much lower staff costs. (Including redundancy??) - Sorry, but it's probably true!

But of course the accountants are still able to show a loss! Nice achievement!

I guess we are now embarked upon the final phase.

Noiffsorbuts
28th Jul 2006, 08:38
.......So Ba Connect was the sprat to catch the mackrel then?

ie. to obliterate expensive BA in the regions and, in the process, destroy itself as it shrank taking with it Regional BA into oblivion.

That is an attractive theory. It would require cunning, perceptive and extremely adept management.

I favour the Cockup rather than conspiracy theory. What evidence is there that these guys could organise a drinking session in a brewery let alone anything as devilishly cunning as that???

Captain Correlli
28th Jul 2006, 16:38
:p I tend to agree - they're simply not clever enough. I think it would be most amusing to copy and paste a bit more Intercom material on here, particularly Hutchings responses. Any takers?:E

28th Jul 2006, 17:21
I'm not entirely sure the complicity of BACON 'management' is actually required. They just have to be too stupid to see the 'big picture'!

The closure of further bases, certainly make it a much tidier package for disposal.

Purely as an aside, is there some suggestion they could come to London, or are they tied to the fortunes of BACON?

Captain Jumbo
28th Jul 2006, 20:36
1. Closure of INV.

2. Closure of IOM.

3. Closure of Bristol.

4. Embraers handed back as leases expire - redundancies start.

5. RJ100s start to be returned.

6. Redundancies increase, as do escapees from the sinking ship.

7. Blurring of mainline and BACON routes.

8. More leavers and redundancies.

9. Integration of LCY routes onto A318 coincides with layoff of Dash 8.

10. Eventual rump of pilot workforce, only those with RJ ratings (ie a "heavy" jet of sorts) gets taken into a changed mainline, where all LGW and shorthaul is slowly converted to BACON Ts and Cs. Naturally, existing mainline contracts are honoured, except for CC.

11. - Evans, Witts and Hutchings achieve extraordinary KPI bonuses, for achieving the virtual downsizing and cost-de-escalation of BAR. :D :D :D

biddedout
28th Jul 2006, 21:54
Probably about 90% right jumbo. Wouldn't be urprised if a batch of 145's or D8s get hived off to one of the more successful regional arlines such as Eastern or ASW along the way. Maybe Scotair will buy what's left.

Strange how with all this going on, DE CP and PH were recently spotted out drinking and generally bonding with some cadet pilots from the school in Jerez. What's that all about? Free night out on the company card? Trying to beat DLF and McT's record bills???:ugh:

Very perculiar since the majority of the staff wouldn't even recognise their LT, never mind remember being bought a drink by them.

I believe WW was also entertaining cadets today too.

Noiffsorbuts
29th Jul 2006, 08:12
At last! Whispers of a day of coordinated protest action...............about time too.

Good luck to those orgainising it.

Its about time the worm turned.

FunFlyin
29th Jul 2006, 11:03
I'm hearing there is a possibility one of the D8s is possibly off somewhere else from tuesday..

Dash-7 lover
29th Jul 2006, 11:32
Funfly .... your hearing is far better than mine?

Captain Correlli
29th Jul 2006, 14:58
With ref Jumbo and Biddedout, I was told today that Eastern have already been sniffing around, allegedly for all the Dash 8 and most of the Emb 145s as well. I wouldn't have thought they would have had the money personally, but then if you recall, they were paid some 20 - 30 million quid to take our J41s, so anything is possible. (Remember too that it cost BA more to ground our ATPs than it would have done to continue running them - all a deliberate downsizing exercise). The downsizing prior to integration idea makes a lot of sense when you think about it, WW will probably want to hang onto anything which is guaranteed profit AND will work with a standard mainline a/c, like a babybus. Think LCY, and think what those routes will be worth as the Olympics gear up!!!! In the meantime, all the 'lossmaking' routes and bases are canned, one at a time, people slowly leave, the redundancy bill reduces and the costs reduce month on month.:cool: Eventually, only some of the RJ and 146 guys are left, and don't forget they have already been offered mainline status once because of scope, so a very small integration may be possible. Personally though, I would still expect no integration, there's no benefit to BA, and let's face it, they don't do anything unless forced by a strike action or unless it makes kpi and profit.:(
What's all this about a day of protest then?

License to Fly
29th Jul 2006, 19:04
Yes, apparently MAN engineers say that YX is going back (somewhere) in the next few months (it has the most expensive lease). Another rumour is that the Dash 8 BHD night stop will cease soon as well.

I guess they have a spare aircraft from SOU (sorry to hear that news guys) that will soon be based in MAN

why is it that BACON keeps getting smaller when all other airlines are expanding in a MASSIVE way :confused: ?

LTF

False Capture
29th Jul 2006, 22:22
why is it that BACON keeps getting smaller when all other airlines are expandingAlmost seems as if the BA strategy is:
i) simplify the comapny
ii) sell what remains to the management

The result:
BA is no longer in the regions and can then concentrate on LHR Terminal 5.

Richard Taylor
30th Jul 2006, 07:41
Well T3 had a Dash 8-300 on demo to them recently & they have in the past operated Embraers.

Given the fares they charge, they may well have the money !

PoodleVelour
30th Jul 2006, 13:20
. . so good to see that BACon is being run in the same fashion by a similar bunch of buffoons who ran Manx aka British Regional. Where do they find these morons? from Ali.

These are the buffoons who used to to run Manx/BRAL as middle management - they have since had any brain cells they might have possessed removed by BA managers seconded to BACX (people such as McL and TDLF) - and are now far worse than the original product. Backed by HR dumbos on mainline golden handshakes and headed up by Evans (enough said). From wacky.

Just for the record, having been with the Company in its various forms since '85, I think it needs pointing out that actually the original MANX management grew a successful Company from a SD 360 and Twin Otter Operation, into a jet operation with over 50 aircraft, record profits year on year, largely content (as far as flight crew ever are!) staff which was then floated on the Stock Market for tens of Millions. The stock market is not emotional, they believed there was massive profit potential, and the Company, under Terry and Norman, delivered. Yes, there were personality clashes, but most of us felt proud and secure to be working for the outfit. One might almost suggest that presumably the profile, success and assets of the Company (LHR slots for one) were what persuaded BA to purchase us. Since then, it's been downhill all the way Norman's biggest mistake was overpromoting that idiot Hutchings, (I remember when he joined, chopped by the RAF - that should tell you something). Phelan not much better, and Witts having been 'let go' by Air UK amongst others. I agree totally with nearly everything that has been said on this thread, let's just remember that before BA got involved, we were a hugely successful operation, with some of the best pay, conditions and morale in the Regional business. Now look at us!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: There is not a single, no, NOT A SINGLE MANAGER, at executive level, (ie above the FMs) who commands any sort of respect, or who has achieved ANYTHING except for cut after cut after cut. Profit...PMSL, they just don't have the experience, the ability, the acumen, - not to mention the permission of the waterworld beanies who probably will never let us post a profit even if we somehow made one. I've too long in to try to go elsewhere, it's always been the pension which has kept me here, but they've managed to screw that up as well. :ugh: :ugh: The future - who knows? If you're young enough, there is NO reason to stay. The awful thing is that they know this, and positively encourage senior people to leave. Losing one Chief Fleet Trainer is careless, losing two..well, how long before the third goes? I note our DW is not being replaced.:confused:

Nuff said, all one can do is try and keep smiling and hope for the best. :}

Mike Mercury
30th Jul 2006, 14:39
:confused: So sorry to see the state the company has been reduced to. Left three years back, and never a single regret. Why do you all stay, it can't just be for the pension, the lifestyle is apparently not what it was, and you all hate the managers. The managers probably all hate you, and the self-destruction continues, it doesn't sound like anyone is getting much out of it. There's a big hiring market out here guys, and most of it is far far better than BACON. Go figure.:D

Quasimodo
30th Jul 2006, 15:23
Poodle Velour

I owe quite a lot to Norman and Terry, they gave me my first break some time ago. I agree with your sentiments regarding the Company - then and now.

Strangely, I recently bumped in to Norman on his return from a holiday and in our 20 minute chat about the "state of the nation", he was quite upset about the direction and current state of the Company and was "reflective" about his choice of certain Management pilots.

Anyway, he looked really well and I told him he was certainly better off out of it!!

Q.

marlowe
30th Jul 2006, 16:49
Well one things for sure you cant blame the Brymon management for the mess!!!!

rhythm method
30th Jul 2006, 17:08
For those of you who are BACON BALPA members, have a look at the site.

Big moves are finally afoot! Watch this space. If we are all going to go down the tubes, we may as well drag some of the incompetent 'leaders' (term used VERY loosely) with us.

BA want nothing to do with us (or any of their shuttle outstations either from what I've also heard). There is no life outside of London... well the aircraft still say British Airways on the side, and Joe Public thinks we are the same, so we'll see very soon if 'all publicity is good publicity'.

:E

Captain Correlli
30th Jul 2006, 19:00
Marlowe, nothing personal, but as I recall, it was Brymon who supplied us with Tim de la FARCE and Moron McLaren just to start with. Wasn't it also a Brymon manager who defrauded the Company of several million quid, not to mention the BRYMON fool heading up the CC who refused an offer to have the RJ pilots on the master seniority list. Talk about a missed opportunity to get a foot in the door! Then we had the idiot big Cheese who single-handedly destroyed th morale of the ATP fleet (ah yes, another TDLF appointee, a Fleet Manager who was a low hours FO, with some previous Flt. Eng time in Crabair. Couldn't fly to save his @rse, and couldn't manage either - not that it mattered if you had TDLF's ear).
Nope, if there had been any wit at all, the majory surgery should have been done at day 1 of the amalgamation, it's too late now. I just bet Normie is 'reflective' about his choice of promotions.:*
I just hope that rhythm method's reference to some sort of action is accurate, at least we're not talking about an "announcement"!! Not being a BALPA memebr, (having resigned in disgust after the RJ seniority list fiasco) I can only hold my breath. (Exhales........so that didn't work then.......):(

145qrh
30th Jul 2006, 19:24
Very sad.....

Mid 90's after LC and Manx joined it was the best it ever was, don't let the mists of time fool anyone ...there was a lot of unrest, poor management and lots of people left, IOM had some of the poorest crewing and ops people known to man...Norm, John and Keef would never win any prizes as good managers but Terry managed to keep it all going in the right direction..unfortunaltey crap begats crap .... Keef and Norm chose their disciples to follow and now we have Paul, Carl and Simon.....same style, same crap management just no Terry to keep it going.

I had a lot of time for Terry.... vision, style, business accumen..he knew people with all of them....only kidding, he was the man, the force, probably the only reason Bral became what it was.
He knew the limits of Brewitt, Anstead and Manktelow and worked round them, I don't for one minute think that he thought that PH,CP would ever take the rolls that they have now...maybe wrong on that one but...??? He thought NM would take his post, he was Terry's man, and what a man was too, the proof is that he was one of the first to go...He had some personal standards.

It's no use complaining any more, I think it's gone too far for that. Look around people..Easy,Ryan,Flyble,Globespan etc. etc......
Who do you blame? who cares, no-one is going to listen anymore...The game is up, some lucky? ones will get into BA proper, everyone else start looking elsewhere....

Would the last one out please put PH's lights out:)

rhythm method
30th Jul 2006, 19:32
Captain Correlli, to be fair to Brymon, Yes TDLF did arrive from Brymon, but he had already been parachuted in from Mainline to have a little play at being an airline manager! McL was the same.

I am not entirely sure that there was a formal offer from mainline to put RJ pilots on the master seniority. As far as I am aware, it was suggested in passing at a meeting, and was given a very cool reception due to the fact that it automatically would create yet another division within the workforce. In hindsight, perhaps it would have been a foot in the door, but it automatically alienated a large majority of the crews because they were flying turboprops. The irony being that a large proportion of mainline managers had 'cut their teeth' in the Highlands and Islands.

I would VERY seriously advise you to reconsider your stance on BALPA membership as there are currently at least 7 diciplinary hearings in progress. Those without BALPA backing are in real trouble. You have made your point, but you seriously do not want to be without union legal support if the worst were to happen.

I will not say too much on this public forum at the moment, but I have already received a half dozen phonecalls regarding a co-ordinated plan of action as yet to be revealed. We'll soon see how the matter progresses.

If anyone is not currently in the union, it's time to get off the fence, and don't forget the subscriptions are at a reduced rate for the first few years as well.

marlowe
30th Jul 2006, 20:20
All True about the Brymon managers but least they saw writing on wall and escaped early!!!!!!!!! we still have the manx/bral gang

Kurtz
30th Jul 2006, 20:34
Just for the record, our FM is ex Brymon, and he is the most talented of the bunch, he can actually fly an aeroplane well, he's a 1st rate instructor and examiner, he's a great people person, he knows how to manage - he should be at the very least our Head of Training, but of course we don't promote on ability do we? :E

Noiffsorbuts
30th Jul 2006, 21:06
Come on guys, stop this Brymon Bral bitching!

We've all got skeletons in our cupboards.

This is about the here and now.

Anyone in Bacon who thinks that they can manage without Balpa now is two sandwiches short of a picnic.................The writing is on the wall and whereas in the past Balpa has helped out misguided fallen colleagues who fell foul of our mismanagement, the word is that no one returns your phone calls these days. You are on your own buddy.........the guys are maxed out already with people who have paid their subs....

Take a reality check and put your prejudices behind you or pay the price.

its going to get very ugly in just a second.

chubbs
30th Jul 2006, 21:28
145qrh
Agree 100% with your appraisal of managers past and present. It is indeed very sad one of the best regional flying jobs will soon be no more.
Not only will I have no job but possibly no pension either! :mad:

Pin Head
30th Jul 2006, 22:17
Jumped last year - best decision ever. Good luck to everyone, but there wil lbe losers with the world and his wife applying for those few jobs available.

grasscutter1
31st Jul 2006, 09:17
"hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way......................."

tiggerific_69
31st Jul 2006, 09:29
grasscutter that sounds about right,however i think its time to start looking elsewhere now.morale is so low,everyone is being worked to death,nobody wants to be there anymore.it would be nice to hang on and see if we got transfer rights to mainline if it went tits up,but i dont think i want to be around when the ship hits the bottom of the ocean.

grasscutter1
31st Jul 2006, 12:08
Don,t worry I'm looking with the rest of you. It's very sad to see one of the best regional flying jobs decimated in such a way, looks like I backed the wrong horse again. Mainline don't want anything to do with us, how many BA Conect pilots have got in this year? 2 or 3, I may be wrong.
Just heard that our rebranding budget of 850 000 pounds went up to 4 million.
As many posters have said, time to get back into balpa.

The Little Prince
31st Jul 2006, 15:52
Just as a matter of interest, not being part of the BACON community any more, does Intercom reflect the views expressed on this thread? :confused:

Noiffsorbuts
31st Jul 2006, 19:19
LP the answer to your question is..to a very limited extent does Intercom reflect what is said here.

People are terrified of saying what they think for fear of retribution and of course PH can wipe any post he doesnt like and make a phone call......as is his wont.

The reality is of course that Intercom, just like this and the balpa web site is a good sounding board where people can get things off their chest, make themsleves feel frightfully importanty for a moment or two and as a result a lot better for having done so.

Of course ............absolutely nothing happens because by and large BACON pilots are scared of their own shadows and have never done other than pay lip service to actualy doing anything Industrial to support or strengthen their beleagured and diminished Balpa reps.

That is why, to a man, most are getting pretty much their just desserts for being such selfish wimps who have consistently failed to pay heed to the havoc that was being wreaked in the company by total cretins...............until of course it was their base that was being closed or their pension that was being tinkered with.

What you sow..surely you shall reap.

brain fade
31st Jul 2006, 19:40
Look Folks

At the risk of saying something positive it surely aint quite as bleak as some here are painting it. (I hope!)

Loads seem to be strong whenever I'm at work and morale is not quite as bad as you'd think if you only went by threads like this. Granted the situation with SOU is bloody awful but methinks tomorrows (???) announcement will contain lots more stuff than the SOU base closure. Who knows...maybe there will be some good news! Then again.............:{

PS will some kind soul remind me how to get into intercom. I know its u123456 for the top line but what do you put in the other? Ta.

False Capture
31st Jul 2006, 20:58
Date of birth followed by home post-code. For example, if you're date of birth is 01JAN1970 and your home post code is AB12 3CD then your password would be: 01011970AB123CD.

brain fade
31st Jul 2006, 23:23
Thanks Falsie!:ok:

wiggy
1st Aug 2006, 00:14
I thought you'd something else to say

Bacon Slicer
1st Aug 2006, 00:33
You all discuss what awful muppets the management team are at BACON - and so they are! But consider the evil ones at the core of the universe who are really pulling the strings, - the BA board.

Just how much feedback do you get from these faceless zombies? - NON.They are the real cancer.

We contemplate and discuss the possible demise of the regional part of "British Airways PLC" and frankly it is very sad, however just watch the faces of these invisible Waterside mandarins when the cash rich Lo-cost operators bring the fight to Medium and long haul destinations from LHR and LGW! (don't forget these airports may soon be owned by much more progressive operators who may well dance to the tune of MOL and EZY after the "BOAC LIke" BAA owners)

BA ain't cast in stone chaps! Every dog has his day.

western bronco
1st Aug 2006, 08:33
At last...well said Brain fade!!:D

Life in BAcon is pants at the moment we all know the facts, and as long as Big bruvva has a noose round our neck it will continue to be this way. But loads have been good and morale is not dead. I feel the same as Brain fade; I am very sorry for the guys and gals in soton but their closure has led to some wild speculation.....and this snow ball is getting bigger and bigger!

If PH and his buddies dont give us some light in this forthcoming announcement, then I think it will be game over....not because the company is not making money but because it will no longer have a workforce. No one in their right mind can turn down offers from what is a boyant market on the vague hope that Ba Connect has some masterplan which they are not telling us.

In my opinion that is the core of the problem, we are not told anything!:ugh:

uncovered
1st Aug 2006, 09:33
BA Connect announce closure of BHD-BHX on Aug 21 after only 3 and a bit months.
Flybe announce increase in frequency and capacity on the route.

1st Aug 2006, 10:31
We contemplate and discuss the possible demise of the regional part of "British Airways PLC" and frankly it is very sad,

Of course to be technically accurate, the "the demise of the regional part of British Airways PLC" took place about 4 years ago, when mainline pilots and aircraft were eased out of MAN and BHX.

At that time a supposedly lower cost, wholly owned subsidiary, namely BACX, was expanded and installed, and everyone was assured the operation would move into profit. Presumably, entirely due to those expensive pilots and cabin crew being kicked back down to Heathrow!

It seems that theory was incorrect!

As one of the pilots whose life was turned upside down by this change, I will attempt to ignore the level of sympathy extended to me at the time, by the new occupiers.

I take no particular satisfaction in saying that, no doubt the best part of the operation (London City) will be salvaged, and the remainder given away to an operator with lower cost crews than BACON.

As someone said, such is life (apparently)

FlyboyUK
1st Aug 2006, 10:37
Announced today:

Latest News

WINTER 2006/7 SCHEDULE 1/Aug/2006

· New route between London City Airport and Madrid · Increased frequency between Manchester and Milan (Malpensa) · Suspension of Belfast – Birmingham route · Suspension of Isle of Man – Luton route · Increased frequency on Isle of Man – Gatwick · Improved timings from Manchester to Geneva, Glasgow and Vienna

BA Connect has today (August 1), announced a series of changes to improve route network profitability with most changes effective from the start of the winter season.

These include the launch of a twice-daily service between London City Airport and Madrid, and increased frequency between Manchester and Milan.

A strong route for both business and leisure, the London City – Madrid services will offer both Club Europe and Euro Traveller products on its 11 weekly flights. On sale from today at www.ba.com, fares are available from £49 fully inclusive. Flights will depart at 09.15am and 6.55pm.

Rising passenger numbers between Manchester and Milan have resulted in an increase in frequency from two to three flights daily, giving business and leisure passengers more travel options to the Italian fashion capital. The additional flight departs Manchester at 12 noon.

Also at Manchester, improved scheduled timings will be available on flights to Geneva with an earlier departure time of 06.45am; the evening Glasgow service will depart at 7.30pm instead of 8.50pm, and Manchester – Vienna flights will move to an afternoon departure at 4.25pm.

Elsewhere, Isle of Man–Gatwick increases from three to four flights Monday – Friday, with three flights on Saturdays and Sundays. The Isle of Man-Luton operation will be suspended, as will the Belfast-Birmingham route (from August 21).

BA Connect was launched in March this year and has already carried over one million passengers on its European and domestic services from UK regional airports.

David Evans, BA Connect’s managing director, said: “It’s important that we continue to give our customers what they want in terms of frequency and network while focussing on our business strengths. We have responded positively to customer requests for schedule improvements particularly at London City, Manchester and the Isle of Man.

Ends

Maximuss
1st Aug 2006, 17:50
Well, 4468, I have to give you credit. Firstly, remembering the quite awful slanging which alternated between BRAL and mainline, probably to no-one's benefit except management. Yes, you were right. But who would have thought that the beancounters in BA could still have managed to lose money with such an opportunity. No surprises now having experienced both them, their lies and incompetence and the equally pathetic characteristics of our home grown lot.:yuk:
Sorry if you felt you were lacking sympathy, I can tell you are a big enough individual not to reciprocate your perceptions to the current set of unfortunates at SOU. :=
For the future - well, two posts telling us it's not as bad as it seems.:ugh: Just give us a few examples of positive news then please. Payrises? Job prospects? Expansion? New types? Even official talk of ideas and concepts for expansion if we DO make a profit would be good, it would show there was some sort of a PLAN!!! other than the constant base closure, route stoppages, pay stagnation etc.:{
Of course, 4468 is also technically correct when he says
Of course to be technically accurate, the "the demise of the regional part of British Airways PLC" took place about 4 years ago, when mainline pilots and aircraft were eased out of MAN and BHX.
However I think most people might think a wholly owned asset stripped subsidiary was also part of the corporate entity. Let me not be unfair however, because I believe he is absolutely right, no doubt Eastern, or Euromanx, or Loganair, or Emerald will end up doing the routes, and just like Air South West, will in fact make an absolute bloody fortune. The pity with hindsight is that mainline didn't just bugger off and, having asset stripped our LHR slots, left a BUSINESSMAN (as opposed to the idiots Evans, Witt and Hutchings) to make a fist of running what were pretty well sound routes all round. Again, 4468 is probably right, LCY will survive, INV and maybe IOM run in reverse with 737s from LGW, and the rest will be the subject of crocodile tears from WW.

Please someone, give me some solid reasons why I'm wrong, why WW really would like to keep us, why it's all an accounting trick....in the meantime, my sim ride with Thomsonfly is two weeks away.:D

1st Aug 2006, 19:01
Maximuss

Because I have been through a similar experience myself, of course I have sympathy for those at SOU, and potentially many others in the months to come. It is a shame that our futures, and our family's, do not lay in our own hands.

Good luck to all of you. When it comes down to it, we're all in the same boat, and there's absolutely NO requirement for animosity.

EVER.

Charizard
1st Aug 2006, 20:13
For the last five years or so the company has not come close to deserving the hard work and commitment by most of its employees, and not just the pilots. The amount of misplaced loyalty is nearly as staggering as the total ineptitude, bullying and crass mismanagement by those in positions of authority.
You could not write a script like this.:{

biddedout
1st Aug 2006, 23:06
Captain Corelli,

In an earlier post you said:

not to mention the BRYMON fool heading up the CC who refused an offer to have the RJ pilots on the master seniority list. Talk about a missed opportunity to get a foot in the door!

Just to be clear, I understand that the “fool” who “refused the offer” refused it on behalf of and with the blessing of the entire CC, therefore I assume that you think that they were all fools. Remember that at the time of this so called offer there were only a handful of BACX pilots on the RJ. Clearly it was not only the BACC who could make an offer, it would have involved BA management too. TDLF the was doing all that he could to prevent the BACX CC from meeting with these BA managers to discuss the whole thing properly. Eventually, BACC drove the SCOPE thing through on the back of a pay package strike threat.

If the so called “CC fools” had gone along with this so called offer of a foot in the door, TDLF, McShutdowns, and The big Gorgonzola would have been straight out briefing all (at that time 90%) of the pilots who were not on the RJ on how the BALPA CC had stitched them up. And at the time, half of would probably have believed it. Hardly good for membership levels for a company that had only had recognition for 6 months.

Backing this deal would have perpetuated the farcical BA thing about pilots only being capable of converting to BA aeroplanes if they have flown a 50t aeroplane. - Bo*^”-ks. Even if the offer had been driven through with both CC’s working together, management both CX and BA would have been out for revenge and the chances of the foot in the door becoming anything more than that would have been very thin. They would have prevented it just to make a point.

Also, if it was a genuine offer of foot in the door, how come certain members of the BACC to this day continue to defend and support BA ,managements insistence that applicants from BACX / BACON have sit the whole of the BA bu^l”*it selection process. Yes, even LCG will admit if pushed, that the tests are a load of cr*p. Not only that, some members of the BACC are even involved in the selection process and have the cheek to ask colleagues from their subsidiary "why they wish to fly for BA". They have been flying aeroplanes with BA written on the side for 14 years! There is even a chance that members of the BACC could have been involved in failing applicants form BACON who fly the RJ, the very people who they said they were offering a free pass to. Some very competent pilots who were trained by BA by BA trainers on BA Aircraft on BA Mainline routes and yet they are not good enough to join BA. Where’s the sense in that then? Failed for not giving the righ b*^"it answer to one of those "Explain a situation when...blah blah questions. Failed for being too strong on leadership??? The BACC have been asked to withdraw their support for this inslting, divisive and discriminatory selection system and yet they continue to do so.

Finally, at the same time that RH was making his so called “foot in the door” offer, he was also offering BACX a guaranteed place on the NEC if we moved into the BA constituency. Well, we are in it, but surprise surprise, no NEC place for us:ugh: .

Noiffsorbuts
2nd Aug 2006, 07:31
Major thread creep I know............but the "RH" Biddout refers to is one Rob Hall, ex chair of BA CC who suddenly became a BA manager.

Captain Correlli
2nd Aug 2006, 18:29
well biddedout, as I recall, it was Bill S, then our then legal eagle CC chairman, who single handedly rejected the offer without consulting the rest of the boys and girl who were in the room at the time. Of course, that's only what I was told by another cc member, so who is one to believe?? Tricky for us mortals.
I don't think there's much doubt it is a repent at leisure scenario.:ugh: The rest of your argument is pure speculation, I doubt there are many who would agree - not that any of it helpsus now. Best forgotten I suppose.:rolleyes:

CaptYanknBank
3rd Aug 2006, 01:16
With the recent restructuring of its BA Connect regional operation into a low-fare carrier in response to LCCs, some wonder whether BA will import the model into its short-haul mainline operation at London Heathrow and Gatwick. Walsh says no. "I would argue we are most likely seen as the leading full-service network carrier and we are absolutely committed to maintaining a full-service product within British Airways," he states without hesitation. "It is significant that for the first time in ten years we have made a profit on our short-haul operations. Go back two or three years ago, probably even last year, [and] you would have heard people arguing that BA should pull out of short-haul. It is important that all parts of our business are profitable. There aren't too many network carriers around that can say that today."
The short-haul operations, which account for roughly two-thirds of passengers and one-third of revenue, posted an operating profit of £7 million last year compared to a deficit in excess of £300 million in 2000. However, only the Heathrow segment made money. Gatwick operations and the regional business still showed red ink, with the latter losing £20 millionalthough this represented a reduction from an operating loss of £27 million in FY05on revenue of £357 million.
"Psychologically it is nice to be back in profit on short-haul, but the level of profitability is nowhere near acceptable," acknowledges Walsh. "We have now three different programs running to address the three different parts of our business, all with a view to improving profitability. We have three short-haul businesses. It is important to differentiate between them. In the past, we would have adopted the one-size-fits-all approach to the problems that existed there. And we are very clear that you can't do that."
The regional operations, formerly known as BA CitiExpress, received a total makeover with the start of the summer schedule, including rebranding as BA Connect and a low-fare model. The 50 aircraft, consisting mostly of 50-seat regional jets with a smattering of larger RJs and smaller turboprops, now operate in a single-class configuration with paid-for catering.
"Coming in fresh from the outside, it's easier to take an independent view and make a quick decision," Walsh explains. "What I saw was a business that provided no passenger feed into our long-haul network, that was poor in terms of its commercial and financial performance and that was operating in a market dominated by low-fare carriers." With characteristic candor, he notes that while BA Connect has adopted an LCC model, it is not a low-cost carrier: "I would be fooling myself saying it is low cost, but it is competing in a low-fares environment." He has declared that the segment must return to profitability in the year ending March 31, 2008.

rhythm method
3rd Aug 2006, 11:20
"What I saw was a business that provided no passenger feed into our long-haul network, that was poor in terms of its commercial and financial performance

An airline can't really feed the longhaul services if it is not allowed to fly to the airports where the longhaul services operate from. :ugh:

Astute business acumen! :D :D :D :D :D

Volmet South
3rd Aug 2006, 18:33
So what tw@t decided on "Connect" when the irony is that we don't ?

WW is pretending to give BACON a chance while quietly instructing Evans to scale back operations to make the inevitable disposal quick and ..... surprise surprise...... cheap. Evans is too old to go anywhere after BA CON and is therefore not concerned that he is the laughing stock of the industry.

CaptYanknBank
4th Aug 2006, 11:29
Well said Volmet

Noiffsorbuts
4th Aug 2006, 12:56
Evans was born in 1952............so, God help us all, his retirement (unless enforced) is some way off.................:{

MercenaryAli
4th Aug 2006, 20:59
Is that the same Hutchings as RAF Pilot (Failed) Hutchings by any chance?
Perhaps I am mistaken eh? :)