PDA

View Full Version : 5 more C17's?

Jimlad1
21st Jul 2006, 18:53
Apologies if already posted, but I saw the comment below on another board and was wondering if this referred to our current 4 at 99sqn or if we're looking at going up to 9 in total?

"Flight International two weeks ago said "[Boeing] has ordered long-lead items for 22 [C-17] aircraft beyond the core USAF purchase ... with this number including five aircraft for the UK." The rest of the 22 is made up of 4 for Austrialia, 4 for Canada, a potential 7 attrition aircraft for the USAF, and 2 for Sweden or the Netherlands"

Not seen anything to suggest we were going beyond 4 so would be grateful if someone could confirm or deny?

And before the cry "Journo" rings out, I'm happy to give a DII address via PM... :E

Navaleye
21st Jul 2006, 18:58
I was expecting one more, but perhaps the sheer utility of this aircraft make the purchase of another 5 worthwhile. Even if it means chopping the A400M order by half.

Jackonicko
21st Jul 2006, 19:02
Boeing hope for a fifth RAF C-17, not for five more.

Alas.

RonO
21st Jul 2006, 21:10
AWST reports the UK has committed to the 5th.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jul 2006, 07:20
'twas in the defence spending review 2004.

Ah the wonders of Google.

to buy the four C-17 airlifters currently being leased
from Boeing and to purchase an additional C-17;

I understood it to be to buy the 'clapped out' leased ones when the lease expires - saves paying the excess mileage charge on trade in, and to buy more.

ORAC
22nd Jul 2006, 07:24
"Clapped out"? Previously cherished mate...... :hmm:

Green Flash
22nd Jul 2006, 10:14
Does that mean the RAF are effectivly paying for them twice? :ugh:

lukeylad
22nd Jul 2006, 11:02
get 9 more that would mean mothballing a few navy ships 2 year old assult ship any one :}

Navaleye
22nd Jul 2006, 14:00
Senior UK Royal Air Force (RAF) officers have launched a review of their 'airlift mix'. The aim is to allow them to establish a clear plan to manage the introduction into service of the Airbus A400M and an additional Boeing C-17 Globemaster as well as the withdrawal of the existing fleet of Lockheed Martin C-130K Hercules aircraft over the next 10 years.

Will the Ks last that long? I'd have thought ten years was pushing it.

22nd Jul 2006, 21:07
They'll have to - there is no money now and very little in the future. The way the long term costings are juggled and revised has always been farcical - the MoD lead the way in 'living beyond your means' and all the big projects that come in over budget (surprise surprise) just make it worse. But it's OK, we have propped up BAe and Westlands and got Typhoon and Future Lynx.....

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jul 2006, 12:11
Green Flash,

Yes probably paying twice - lease and then the second user price.

As they are 'high mileage' there would be a high mileage penalty and also the cost of repainting, removing the inevitable Brit kit, making sure there are no bullets lying under the floor etc.

The cost of valetting and the usage penalties would no doubt offset the buy in price.

South Bound
24th Jul 2006, 08:18
Without going it to it too deeply, I understood that it was the lease that was bloody expensive and that buying it out at the end was fairly reasonable - after all, Boeing want the continued support business. Don't think we have paid twice, but we have paid significantly more than we needed by leasing in the first place.

There is no scope to reduce the A400M offtake, none at all. We will get a minimum of 25, end of story.

KiWiEng
24th Jul 2006, 13:02
The buy-out price for the 4 ac is just the lease price paid so far minus what we would have paid if we had bought them out first time wrong. So not paying for them twice nor overpaying.

We are paying for them in 7 years rather than 30 though! Also the price is the same no matter how many hourse we've flown them. That rumour is not true.:=

South Bound
24th Jul 2006, 14:41
KiwiEng, I think you are wrong. The total price we will pay is significantly more than if we had bought them in the first place, just the same as any other lease/buy deal, so we are overpaying.

ORAC
24th Jul 2006, 15:06
No, we´re not overpaying, just paying the price of procrastination and indecision. :hmm:

KiWiEng
24th Jul 2006, 15:07
Certainly don't want to get into an arguement. My point was made as a recollection as I worked on the programme a few years ago and remember the figures as being roughly equal. Happy to be wrong if you know better.

That said, I do not believe the business case to buy them has yet been approved!

Windbag
24th Jul 2006, 17:17
Well there's lots of action in the positive sense on the IPT at the moment, some tough negotiations have been had down at ShabbyWood.;)