PDA

View Full Version : PAX manned doors (T/O / Landing)

Diver_Dave
21st Jul 2006, 08:45
Hi all,
Just a quick question regarding manned doors on TO / Landing. Again if I've got the wrong forum could a moderator please move it to the correct one?
I caught xxxx back from Frankfurt (T2) Wednesday (19th April). An Embrer (don't know which model).

1) I did an E-Check in so all I had to do was the fast bag drop, however, it was REALLY fast! I'm quite concerned that NO security questions at all were asked regarding my baggage.

2) During the flight I was in seat 12A (Emg exit left side, single seat). During take off there was a passenger in seat 12B (Emg exit right side, double seat), however, during the flight he moved back a row leaving 12B and 12C empty. Whilst I know this is not a problem in flight I was under the impression that these doors had to be manned during takeoff and landing. I've seen staff ask passengers to move in the past so doors were covered. The flight was only about 1/2 full with a family with small children in the row in front who wouldn't be able to assist in an emergency.

Now the first point is really ground handling and may have just been missed, however, the second concerns me a little.

The airline concerned has not replied to 3 mails via their 'COntact us' facility, even to acknowledge the comments. :ugh:

Should I physically write?:)

Thanks for your time.
DaveA

WeLieInTheShadows
21st Jul 2006, 09:06
You are correct on both counts.

You shouuld be asked abot your bags at the fast bag drop, and there shouuld be someone manning the self help exits.

Normally the self help exits ae popular as they have more leg room, so sme one moving is very unusual.

If there was no one sitting there on landing then this is an error on the crews part, however as i have said smeone moving is inusual and could be missed.

Mmy question to you, being an obviously concerned person about safety etc etc, is why did you not highlght this error to the crew before landing? This way they could have moved someone to the relevant seats.

As an in-charge i would personally welcome an help from customers if i'd missed something by accident. And of course in this situation safety is paramount.

With reference to the bag issue thouugh this does need to be resolved. Again...saying something to a supervisor at the time is the quickest way to geet things changed.

Keep writing in, because without people like you picking up on these errors, things will not change for the better.

And don't be afraid to speak up....you may just save soemones life......:ok:

flybywire
21st Jul 2006, 14:03
Right....
The first point you raise is very important, and you've done a great job in noticing it and reporting it. They owe you some explanation!!!

As for self help exits I can only tell you what my company's procedure is:

[Just checked our Bible!]

Self help exit rows myst be occupied by at least one person capable of operating the exit. If the row is empty it will be necessary to move a passenger to achieve this

If pax load is low and the centre section of the cabin has not been allocated due to a/c trim requirements or the seat has been blocked due to a tech. defect, it is not necessary to move pax to achieve this.

In your case you were sitting in an em.exit row for both take off and landing and given the loads it seems resonable (and technically correct) that the cabin crew didn't move the pax in 12B back to his seat for landing. This if you were flying with my company. Other companies might have different procedures.

However....you didn't mention whether you and the pax in 12B received a very short briefing by the CC on how to operate the door in case of an emergency. That is compulsory in most companies (definitely in the UK and Italy) and personally I find it a good way to understand if the pax sat next to the em. exits are a bit tipsy, nervous, or ready to take this responsibility. After all, em.exits have more space for a reason, it's not just to be able to stretch!!!! :ok:

FBW:)

Dash-7 lover
21st Jul 2006, 14:24
The self checkin machine will ask you the required security questions and failing that - someone should be at the bag drop desk.

Emergency exits can also be opened by the cabin crew - hence that's why they're required - the CAA requirement is one cabin crew member per 50 seats fitted so the Embraer 145 can legally operate with one. Cabin crew are there for safety and not just to serve drinks and food. They're also responsible for opening the exits themselves but its now a requirement to explain there operation if someone just happens to be sat next to one. Obviously the more people that know then the higher the chances! (That person also needs to be fit and able bodied).

Another reason why he moved and I've done it on may occassions is that the exit seat isn't always the warmest place to be - you can get some nasty drafts regardless of the aircraft type.

Most aircraft need to be certified to get all pax out in 90 secs with half the exits blocked anyway so I doubt your safety was compromised.

Diver_Dave
27th Jul 2006, 13:22
Thanks for all the replies.

I've now been informed (eventually) by customer services.

a) There is a sign at the fast bag drop I missed.

b) There is no need legally for wing doors actually to be manned and the reason
they ask if you're aware of the exit and able bodied is so the passenger in
the exit seat doesn't impede the exit of other passengers NOT to open the door....

Ok the first point is fine but....

Not that I'll be flying with them again given the downgrade of the
MAN-FRA route to low cost, Lufthansa is cheaper and full service.

Also.

The MAN-MLA route that I fly 6 times a year they've imposed the 23Kg
baggage allowance as rigid, I used to get an extra 10Kg for diving
equipment but this is to 'Standardise the customer experience'. Oh
well air Malta, Lufthansa and Alitalia will still do it so
why should I pay excess baggage?

Thanks again for all the replies and the friendly reception here.
Safe flying to you all. Half the time I don't know how you do it.
Oh and if there's anyone from the Maltese GB/BA team reading this I'd
just like to thank you especially for some of the most enjoyable flights
I've ever had into Luqa (and I've flown Air Jamaica). It's not often one
laughs out loud on a flight but on the four flights I took last year you
were fantastic..

Again thank you all for your insight.

Regards
DaveA

flybywire
27th Jul 2006, 17:26
Thanks for all the replies.

Oh
well air Malta, Lufthansa and Alitalia will still do it so
why should I pay excess baggage?

Again thank you all for your insight.

Regards
DaveA

Fair enough!!

However, I have just come back from visiting my family and flew AZ.....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! Really expensive and one of the worst trips of my life, both ways, all the four sectors...:{ := := :=

I think this is going to be one of my strongest arguments with passengers from now on...I can speak for my fleet only, however we do A LOT for our customers and try to make their journey as good as practically possible. However sometimes we get some bad comments when we don't deserve them, so from now on (especially on the FCO routes) I am going to invite them to use AZ!!!!!!!! Such a punishment should make them fly back to mamma BA, and be quiet for the rest of their flying lives ;):E

FBW;)