PDA

View Full Version : Emirates, Induction & Silicon Oasis ,

OVERCHINA
20th Jul 2006, 06:15
Are pilots moving into Silicon Oasis yet ?

Any initial impressions ?

Would anyone be able to post recent photos please.?

I would also like to know how the first few weeks / months in Emirates are structured once you arrive. IE courses , licenses ,wet drills etc.
Any experiences appreciated .

Thank you :OK:

lomo
20th Jul 2006, 07:09
Have a look at this site, http://www.siliconoasis.org/ it contains quite a few photographs of Silicon Oasis. As you will see the recreational facilities are not yet complete, however work is continuing apace. About 80 or so families have moved in thus far, with many of them away over the school holidays it is rather quiet at the mo.

As for the first month I left my family behind so that I could get to grips with the course/Emirates and getting the admin done to settle the family into Dubai. Seemed to work well, it is hectic but does ease off after the first month or so.

All the best

Lomo

Riker
21st Jul 2006, 00:26
I am not familiar - is this a new community for EK pilots and families? Will accomodation there be covered by EK? Is it exclusive to EK crew members?

Cheers

desert_knight
21st Jul 2006, 11:07
Silico Oasis Villas are also open to EK grade 10 and above management.

Riker
21st Jul 2006, 14:23
Silico Oasis Villas are also open to EK grade 10 and above management.

Cheers Desert Knight. As I am still a bit unfamiliar with the grades, etc. does that include pilots? Thanks

desert_knight
21st Jul 2006, 14:57
Certainly will include Captains who are grade 10 equivalent.

ruserious
22nd Jul 2006, 08:15
A Captain is regarded as equivalent to a grade 10 manager by HR, for the purposes of benefits, but earns considerably more (about the same as a VP). A First Officer is regarded as equivalent to a grade 9 for benefits, but again earns more than a Grade 10.
Its just the ground weenies way of keeping us in our place, even though HR knows they have to give us a somewhat competitive wage, they do not give us the same benefits as a manager that earns the same as us.
And this company sure loves it grades.

Fellowship of the drink
22nd Jul 2006, 16:35
Yes Silicon Oasis is open to all new joiners, both FO's and Captains. I heard all new joiners will now be housed in Silicon Oasis from now on. Previously FO's without kids will be put in apartments. With the apartment shortage, EK would like to free the apartments for cabin crew to share. If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
As with existing contractual agreements. Electrical, water and gas are paid for. The only item that comes out of your pocket is the move, landscaping (anywhere from Dhs3k to 20k depending on what you want and the size of your garden), painting to the colour of your choice. The default colour is mushroom/coffee'sh
FOTD

Hawabaaz1
23rd Jul 2006, 20:28
Friends,

Am looking to join EK as an engineer. Is silicon Oasis purely for flight crew or any ground personal (Grade 9) are also welcome there?

Also could anyone tell me wat accomodation allowance does a new F/O entitled to when joining EK?

Thanks.