PDA

View Full Version : Cessna CBI CD Training Kit?

brynnb
20th Jul 2006, 03:23
I'm hoping this forum will have some experience with this CD set that Cessna offers to student pilots. It's a set of 27 CDs or so that cover information for ground school. It's like $300 brand new, but there's a used set for like $50 I'm looking at getting.

My concern is that according to the Cessna website, this set is intended for one person only. It apparently needs an authorization code to get past lesson 6. The seller is providing a software and registration number and says that it's already been registered. Would I have a problem with calling up a Cessna Pilot Center and obtaining this authorization code again, or would I even need it?

Thanks,

Brynn

B2N2
21st Jul 2006, 01:04
Don't bother buying it.
We had a student at one time that bought a kit(used) from ebay.
You will not get past lesson 6 without the authorization code.
Cessna is not stupid, they have closed (most) of the loop holes that sytems like this used to offer.
If you intend to do your training on a C172SP there is very few out there that beats the training offered on the CBI kit.
All video's, tests and interactive thingies on the set use the C172SP.
If you intend to do your training on anything else it's almost useless.
Buy a good set of training materials, it will save you money in the long run.

brynnb
21st Jul 2006, 02:39
All right, thanks for the reply. The guy selling it is trying to assure me that it just magically knows that it's been registered but is reluctant to actually try it himself. My flight school said they weren't sure if a used copy would work, but I'm not going to waste my time finding out.

My flight school offers three choices for aircraft to train in, a 152, a 172, and a 172SP (which has a glass cockpit). The 152 seems to be fairly similar to the 172, but I could be wrong. They say I need the CDs no matter which aircraft I choose, though. Hopefully it won't be entirely wasted if I choose the 152 instead of the 172. There's about a $2000 difference in price between the two planes and I'm willing to sacrifice a little inconvenience for 2k.