PDA

View Full Version : IBERIA

757pilot
26th Dec 2003, 02:29
Has anyone encountered poor service from agents in TFS.
They "lost" 14 of my PAX on 19/12/03, which resulted in me having to have their bags off-loaded.
This is just an example of the poor standard of service I've experienced from Iberia in the last few months.

Lou Scannon
27th Dec 2003, 21:25
Things don't get better over the years:

Around six years ago I was stuck in TFS with a baggage handling go-even-slower problem. The company agent and myself were both stripped off loading our pax bags when I noticed a smooth dressed guy standing there watching our efforts. It seems that he was one of the Iberia managers on a rare visit to the ramp. I suggested that he help us out but was told that "he" was a manager and above that sort of thing!

I usually pointed out to them that their company's name in English meant incompetent and that we threatened our children that unless they worked hard at school they would grow up to be "Iberia".

Sorry to hear that it hasn't improved their attitude!

757pilot
27th Dec 2003, 22:40
I think the title of worst agents has to go to GIA (Gambia International Airlines) down in BJL. They can manage to turn a 1.5h turnaround into 3hrs with ease!!

drag required
28th Dec 2003, 10:45
Iberia handling service has always been very poor. Unfortunately after the government allowed private companies to bid in and join the barely profitable business of ramp handling, very few companies came forward. Only two operators are permitted at each airport, that is Iberia and a second competitor, i.e. Iberia + Ineuropa at TFS, MAD, IBZ, PMI, etc. or Iberia + Eurohandling at BCN, AGP, LPA, etc.

Personally I have had the pleasure of being assisted by Iberia and Ineuropa, the difference is abysmal. With Iberia when you arrive at your destination in Spain at peak times is rare to have a rep there waiting for you, they usually arrive late. If the airport is small and an Iberia airplane arrives all rep´s disappear. With Ineuropa you have one in the front galley at all times. In Iberia they have one rep attending several flights at the same time.

Spend a minute one day and have a look to see how long does Ineuropa (blue painted) take to appear next to the aircraft shutting down the engines, they are there with all the equipment before the chocks arrive, like most places in Europe. Iberia will take their time to arrive, one by one and eventually everything you need will be there.

Price is important these days and Iberia comes cheaper than the other competitors, on top of that Iberia can be found at all Spanish airports having only to sign one contract for all Spanish airports.
:hmm:

johnwalton
29th Dec 2003, 02:15
As a passenger, I would have to say ineuropa are just as bad as Iberia. For example, earlier this year my return flight FUE-MAN was delayed by 25 minutes, despite the inbound aircraft arriving in FUE on time, all because of incompetent handling - not to mention the fact that they had 180 tired passengers standing in a queue at the gate for 45 minutes (there's very little seating at most of the gates at FUE). They then pulled the same trick when I was returning PMI-NCL in July (granted, there was a power cut in the airport, but the aircraft was sitting there for 90 minutes while other flights were still leaving on time).

The few times I've been through TFS, Iberia handling has been okay, though I've nearly always been delayed it tends to be due to a late inbound aircraft and Iberia tend to be able to turn it around within 45 minutes.

Price is important these days and Iberia comes cheaper than the other competitors, on top of that Iberia can be found at all Spanish airports having only to sign one contract for all Spanish airports
But don't ineuropa and eurohandling handle at airports outside Spain? So can't airlines sign one contract for just as many airports in and outside spain which would bring down costs?

IB4138
28th Feb 2004, 03:35
It has been announced that as of 1st March, Iberia will no longer serve beverages on national and short haul flights, with the exception of Athens, Istanbul, Tel-Aviv, Cairo, Senegal and Dakar. Prices for drinks will be from 1 to 9 euros.
Iberia claim this move is made in response to passenger requests for cheaper flights without these services and will enable them to offer flights at lower prices.
Has anyone seen their prices reduced from March 1st?...I'm still paying the same price from Malaga to Heathrow as in January for next month......and why are the above 6 destinations excluded?

TightSlot
28th Feb 2004, 14:22
I'm a little confused from your post as to whether drinks are going completely on shorthaul, or are remaining as a service but now becoming chargeable. If they are going completely, then count the number of Cabin Crew next time you fly with them - it may well be one less than before. If IB have simply started charging for drinks, then that's just them catching up with the rest of us.

--------------------
Per Ardua Ad Ibiza

IB4138
28th Feb 2004, 17:46
The press release is a bit confusing.. it appears to have got a little b_gg__d in translation. They are in fact providing a chargeable drinks service....but is the wine/coffee still free with your so called meal? That is still not clear and I cannot get an answer. Nothing is straight forward with IB.

EastMids
29th Feb 2004, 17:01
Shame, another airline where the inflight service is going down the pan :(

Its all very well for the bucket-and-spaders who book months in advance and get the cheap fares, but for the poor sod who has to book at last minute, still pays a fare as high as they did before (airlines who do this usually reduce their minimum fares but rarely reduce their full published fares too), and then had to put their hand in their pocket again for drinks and food, is crap.

Another airline I don't think I'll bother flying on again! :*

Andy

Rwy in Sight
29th Feb 2004, 20:10
Andy

Well said about not flying again on IB and all the other airlines that turn no frills while maintaing expensive fares..

Rwy in Sight

Jamesair
29th Feb 2004, 23:25
Iberia have an advert in today's Sunday Times which reads (in part) .....and now, choose what you want to have on-board with our great value-for-money "Tu Menu" a la carte service in Economy Class.....

No free food either folks.

tom de luxe
1st Mar 2004, 00:16
IB are not the only ones. OS have introduced what they call "Bistro Service", i.e. on short flights Y pax pay for meals and beverages.

To be fair to OS, everyone even in cattle class was entitled to one 200ml bottle of still water from day one of Bistro Service, AND coffee and tea re-became free of charge VERY quickly :E

I wonder how long paid-for coffee will last on IB?

Tom

MarkD
2nd Mar 2004, 01:44
EI are doing it too. Seems Willie Walsh has sold his philosophy to IB.

MD11FAN
2nd Mar 2004, 03:45
I'm not surprised to hear that Iberia are cutting back on their in- flight service as their fares are now really competitive. I have recently booked 2 flights(Jan & April) with them for MAN to BCN and they were the cheapest carrier on both dates. I tried Monarch and BMIBaby who were both more expensive. Infact BMIBaby wanted £120 to fly on a cramped B737 when Iberia are charging £77 for a seat on a nice(& much newer) A320.

Toulouse
2nd Mar 2004, 17:19
I fly EI, IB and AF quite alot. You still geta pretty nice "free" meal and drinks with AF, even drinks and biscuits or other snack on internal flights, but their fares are INCREDIBLE expensive. To be hones, I doubt their fares are justified by this inflight service. Not an expert thought on cost cutting strategies for airlines.

Flew EI on the first day they stopped their free inflight service. My first reaction was... How dare they! But then I thought to myself, well I haven't paid more than € 175.00 on a return European service with EI for quite a while, sooooo why should I be abboyed at paying for food. By the way, they have quite an acceptable chicken and stuffing sandwich for €3.50 and a soft drink (normal size 33 ml. can) for € 1.00. Well, in two years EI have increased their route network by I believe around 30 new routes and their fares have decreased, so if in turn I have to pay for the food, well done EI. And if IB do drop their fares some what, well done also.

One thing I find very funny, before all this no frills talk, everybod complained about plane food, saying "Oh, I NEVER eat the food on a plane". Now all of a sudden that it's no longer free, airplane food seems te be remembered as some kind of gastronomic feast... NOT.

Another thing, I have been told numerous prestigious European airlines have already done the same as EI and IB. Some of you seem to accuse these airlines of becoming no-frills. Well I tend to disagree. Having flown on Easy Jet and BMI Baby, it's not the same thing. EI, IB and co. still have nice cabin interiors, reasonable leg room, well dressed cabin crews (nothing agains you at the low cost carriers, bu come on, the EZY uniforms are certainly not what I'd call uniforms!), inflight entertainment, inflight shopping, inflight magazines, assigned seats, airport lounges, frequent flyer programmes...

Just my humble opinion...:D

Call_Belle
3rd Mar 2004, 04:09
Well said Toulouse!

peb
4th Oct 2004, 11:34
I know that is not a good translation but here goes:

The union section of Sepla-Iberia studies the Iberia proposal already will create its own company of low cost Iberia Express. This it could be the name of the new company of low cost Iberia plan to take off in just a short time. This way they will face the permanent threat of the numerous companies that are winning the market. In spite of the excessive secrecy Iberia it is taking it, in the aeronautical sector, this news is already an open secret and Aviacióndigital has been able it to confirm with the president of the Sepla, Andoni Grandson, whom although it does not have allowed to pronounce itself on the matter, commented that “la negotiation is into the hands of the union section Sepla-Iberia”. Elena de Regoyos, AD (04/10/04, 00,00 hours) In this respect, according to sources of Aviaciondigital, exist an internal debate between the pilots of Iberia who are in favor of the creation of this new airline and those that consider a threat. To this it would be necessary to add to him that the pilots in the heat of are negotiation of a new collective agreement with the company, since I render to which was put under expires shortly. According to the data which we have, the possibility is studying of contracting the retired pilots in Iberia early (as of the 60 years). In addition, also they could have pilots of low experience for the new company, lowering the price of, this way, the costs of the crews. As far as the fleet, it seems to be that it will be formed by Airbus 319, 320 and 321, airplanes that already are operated by the Iberia company for flights of short and average reach. With this strategy, using airplanes which or it has Iberia, also lower the price of costs because or it is had the initial infrastructure, like simulators of flight, handling and shared personnel. In addition, the fact that they are going away to use airplanes of short and average reach will suppose a hard blow for Air Nostrum, that already makes east type of flights

Runway 31
25th Jan 2005, 18:01
From Expatica Spain.

Low cost competition forces Iberia to cut routes

25 January 2005

MADRID- Spanish national carrier Iberia is considering culling a number of European and domestic routes from its schedule in the face of fierce competition from low-cost carriers.

The Spanish daily El Pais reported the company is increasingly unable to keep pace with its low-cost competitors, who receive an estimated EUR 10-17 (USD 12-20) subsidy per ticket from local authorities on some routes.

So far, Iberia has refused to comment on the story.

The newspaper did not mention specific routes facing the potential withdrawal of Iberia services but in recent years the carrier has been struggling to match the fares of no-frills airlines such as Ryanair and

EasyJet.

The Spanish carrier has lost its former monopoly at certain provincial airports such as Almeria in the southeast and Jerez in the deep south, and El Pais reported that the price war would ultimately force the end of some Iberia routes.

Ireland's Ryanair is in April to propose flights between London and Santiago de Compostela for fares ranging from EUR 27-69, not including taxes.

El Pais reported Iberia's normal fare for the route was EUR 130 more expensive.

Ryanair is already flying in and out of 13 Spanish airports and seeking to branch out to offer services at six more, directly creating 4,000 jobs in Spain.

Last year, the company carried some four million passengers either to or from Spain.

Low-cost rival EasyJet carried six million by comparison in 2004, an 18 percent rise on a year earlier.

According to El Pais, despite offering prices generally higher than those of Ryanair, EasyJet has captured a 33 percent Spanish market share for flights between Britain and Spain.

The company flies out of nine Spanish airports to ten destinations in other European states.

In October, Iberia general director Angel Mullor said the carrier was "collating information" on subsidies received by Ryanair from autonomous regional authorities to operate at their airports.

Mullor threatened to take the issue to the European Commission if evidence emerged warranting a complaint

mcdonnellluke
29th Jan 2005, 19:59
Hello
Have Iberia pulled out of MAN? Can't see any sign of thier BCN service in any timetables. Or have they just downgraded it to a summer only service? This is strange as I have not heared anything about it, and it had been going for many years so if yes, why was it pulled (competition from Monarch (ZB)?)
Luke

20-17
29th Jan 2005, 21:11
Luke

Sorry they did not ask you prior to making this important decision!!

IB out of MAN end Oct. BCN served by WW and ZB and MAD by BA.

Think it would be a one world thing.

Cheers

Up the Lions

:ok:

markmartin
29th Jan 2005, 21:20
The route MAD-MAN will see a new company this summer: ZB. Can anybody tell me how their service is?

dundoniandean
29th Jan 2005, 22:19
20-17
WW don't fly MAN/BCN anymore either. Looks like ZB saw them off the route too.

Markmartin
ZB's service is pretty damn good - they have announced some new routes from MAN and LGW for this coming summer.

colegate
30th Jan 2005, 05:30
markmartin,
ZB's service is excellent. I have used them many times. I have only once been delayed and that was to pick up pax from a cancelled BA service. there is a choice of ,eals on-board but you have to pay for them. There are newspapers and free IFE. Then there is their excellent frequent flyer club. Well to be recommended. I hope they do as well on MAN-MAD as they have elsewhere.

markmartin
30th Jan 2005, 20:24
@Colegate&Dundoniandean, thanks for your comments on ZB, I´ll try to use this airline next time i fly to MAN!!:ok:

willywick
25th Feb 2005, 21:57
http://nowaviation.com/content/view/250/39/

Looks like Boeing have lost another one to Airbus. Thank God for them MOL's still around to fill up their order book!

Well re. Iberia, not a big surprise that they order airbus. The surprise is really the 15 A318s in the lot!

Flightluuvr
26th Feb 2005, 04:47
FYI, Ryanair just confirmed an order for 140 boeing 737-800's. 70 firm, 70 options.

surely not
26th Feb 2005, 10:04
which is what Flightluuvr was referring to!

Toulouse
26th Feb 2005, 12:06
Can't hide my delight, as I'm a frequent Iberia flyer and just love Airbus aircarft, yet I suppose it's not much of a surprise to anyone that Airbus won this one.

:ok:Link to Iberia press release of yesterday evening (http://grupo.iberia.es/ingles/prensa/noticias/ficheros/47-Renovacion%20flota%20ingles.doc)

Apologies, just seen I'm not the first one to post this, it's already on airport, airlines... news forum. At least you have the link to an official press release from Iberia here so I won't delete and leave it up to our kind moderators to decide what to do.

EIDW Spotter
27th Feb 2005, 01:59
It will be nice to see the A318 in IB colours. With this fleet replacement over the next couple of years are we going to alos see a new Livery?

MarkD
27th Feb 2005, 03:15
I imagine given how relatively slow the 318 has sold to date, the price was keen to say the least. Now that one more competitor (717) has bitten the dust following the FK100 and BAe RJX perhaps more orders may follow.

Flying Fiona
21st Apr 2005, 18:18
Anybody know why those suits from Iberia were in Exeter today?

WOWBOY
21st Apr 2005, 18:44
I think they are trying to buy flybe.

WOWBOY

phil_2405
21st Apr 2005, 18:50
Didn't the Iberia chief say in the last few days that Iberia was looking to buy an existing LCC or set one up?

Fried_Chicken
21st Apr 2005, 20:48
Don't Flybe maintain some of Iberias (Air Nostrum) aircraft? (DHC8 & CRJ?), possibly just signing a further maintainence contract?

FC

anguspm
22nd Apr 2005, 09:54
Believe maint contract for Air Nostrum

Flying Fiona
23rd Apr 2005, 08:26
Iberia Mulls Buying Low-Cost Airline

April 20, 2005

Iberia is considering buying or setting up a low cost airline of its own so that it can compete in this market "with the same weapons", Spanish media reported on Wednesday.

News agency Europa Press quoted Managing Director Angel Mullor as saying Iberia was weighing up alternatives, such as buying an existing company or setting up its own.

"Either we fight with the same weapons as these airlines or we will have to stay out of these markets," Mullor said, according to the Europa Press report.

An Iberia spokeswoman said Mullor's remarks were accurately reported.

More than 50 million foreign tourists visit Spain every year and a steadily increasing proportion come on budget airlines such as Ryanair, easyJet or Lufthansa's Germanwings unit.

Iberia has been a fierce critic of subsidies received by budget airlines flying to smaller airports.

"What Iberia has to do is cut costs, either internally, or, if that fails, by any other means possible," the spokeswoman said.

(Reuters)

Fried_Chicken
23rd Apr 2005, 12:14
But it won't be Flybe!

FC

Trislander
23rd Apr 2005, 17:21
FC,

Why's that? Do you have some insider info???

anguspm
25th Apr 2005, 09:07
Word here suggests the 757 fleet being redeployed to an existing small carrier.....

mmeteesside
25th Apr 2005, 15:22
Maybe it could be Vueling?

malagajohn
21st Jul 2005, 07:47
According to Madrid based ABC , IBERIA are finally to set up a low cost subsidiary with BCN favourite to be the new airline's base.

Mediterranea is one of the possible names for the new carrier.

Iberia has been rumoured to be about to enter the low cost segment over the last 12 months or so and some financial analysts still speculate over the possible purchase of a share in a loco operator as opposed to a separate new companny

Link in Spanish

http://www.abc.es/abc/pg050721/prensa/noticias/Economia/Economia/200507/21/NAC-ECO-077.asp

IB4138
21st Jul 2005, 20:26
They have made a half hearted attempt before with "Viva", which was a failure.

Their present service now is no different to a loco on European short haul.

Buster the Bear
21st Jul 2005, 20:40
If I was looking to purchase a share in a European Lo-Co, my attention would be focused firmly upon Jet2!

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

anguspm
21st Jul 2005, 22:38
Saves selling off the 757´s

Not sure how they´re going to do it but there´s been tentative contract talks with a number of ground staff.... (absolutely no idea on the FD side of things)

malagajohn
22nd Jul 2005, 12:10
Viva was quite a few years ago and if I recall correctly Iberia was still a state owned company at the time

The new beast will be a different animal and if the pilots come on board with no hassle will probably will be well run

I do agree that Iberia service on Spanish and Euroepan flights is almost non existent but prices have come down as well

nivsy
16th Aug 2005, 16:46
Prices may well have come down a bit - however when directed into the Iberia web site - or even through "skyscanner"and the prices go "live" it always jumps from a reasonable fare to one sometimes 3 times the price!

Going from Malaga to Barcelona is on most ocassions cheaper via Stansted!!!!

Privitise this shower now!

Nivsy

MarkD
16th Aug 2005, 18:34
Are IB 757s ETOPS capable?

DTVAirport
19th Jul 2006, 11:45
Hi all,

Decided to commence a thread about my favourite non-UK airline - Iberia.

- What's the status with the LCC they're about to launch?

- Can someone please provide me with details of the revised Airbus short-haul order from a few months ago?

- How likely is a new livery before the end of the decade and what might it look like?

Regards,

Chris

darren1
19th Jul 2006, 13:36
Apparently called Catair it's to be based in BCN and UK ops will be centered on EDI, MAN and surprisingly SOU.

DTVAirport
19th Jul 2006, 20:29
Catair? I'm not sure if I like that. If they're looking at Southampton then there is every chance they may look at Durham Tees Valley? Probably wishful thinking but one can only hope!

hughesyd
1st Aug 2006, 17:46
anyone know the latest with the strike action at iberia?. last i heard they were dancing on the runway!, and had parked vehicles on the runway and snapped keys in the ignitions.
something to do with around 800 job losses.
thanks

malagajohn
1st Aug 2006, 18:05
anyone know the latest with the strike action at iberia?. last i heard they were dancing on the runway!, and had parked vehicles on the runway and snapped keys in the ignitions.
something to do with around 800 job losses.
thanks

One day wildcat strike

things back to normal now until the next one:) :)

hughesyd
1st Aug 2006, 20:50
thanx 4 the info!:ok:

ORAC
30th Nov 2006, 08:56
MADRID (Reuters) (http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articlebusiness.aspx?type=businessNews&storyID=2006-11-30T093538Z_01_L30674005_RTRUKOC_0_UK-IBERIA-BA.xml&pageNumber=0&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=BusArt-C1-ArticlePage2) - Iberia could break a seven-year alliance with British Airways and join another group, the Spanish airline's finance and strategy director suggested in an interview with Expansion newspaper on Thursday.

Enrique Dupuy de Lome told the paper Iberia did not feel "tied" to British Airways and could make a good partner for Air France KLM, the world's largest carrier in terms of revenue, or for Lufthansa.

"In a marriage you need two parties and Iberia and British Airways's priorities have not always been the same," Dupuy de Lome was quoted as saying, adding that Iberia was not at the top of BA's priority list. BA owns 10 percent of Iberia.

"For there to be integration, the two parties' desires need to coincide at the same time," he said. "That could happen -- or not -- with British, or it could happen with other companies." ...........

TopBunk
30th Nov 2006, 11:21
I must admit, that of the global alliances the exist, Oneworld seem to be pretty low profile and under achieving in comparison to Star Alliance and Skyteam.

Rananim
30th Nov 2006, 12:33
Or maybe they dont want to be associated with an airline that equates wearing a cross with political incorrectness...

SOPS
2nd Apr 2007, 11:22
BBC and CNN are reporting that the Texas Pacific Group are in talks for a takeover of Iberia. They also mention that TPG is interested in Alitalia.
The BBC reporter speculated theat the Texas Pacfic bid for QANTAS may be in trouble.

Comments...??????

uklad007
2nd Apr 2007, 14:42
I wonder, if true, if their plan is to merge Iberia and Alitalia - personally i dont think they will get either - i reckon Iberia would be a possible target for a couple other European Airlines. I have heard that BA has a first refusal option to buy another 20%, giving it first dabs on 30% (20 plus the 10% it owns) so it could be a stumbling block for Texas Pacific.

SOPS
2nd Apr 2007, 15:38
The question is..just how much money do they have..or what is the plan? Iberia, Alitalia and QANTAS....either there is unlimited funds or an agenda that is not clear. Do they want them all....or just the first one that falls into their hands?

Re-Heat
2nd Apr 2007, 17:54
Probably just that they are monopolies on certain routes, and these guys reckon that the global economy has a few more years to run.

These are the chaps who made a fortune sorting out Continental, bringing it into a viable state for the future rather than bankruptcy.

blanza
3rd Apr 2007, 08:48
yesterday iberia annonces to the cmnv, that its the acronim of the stock market regulator, that texas pacific group has request fiscal and another information in order to present a public offer of adquisition of the 100% of iberia, so far it´s just the compromise of studing in the next 20 to 30 days and present and offer in 10 days, british have a 10% lus the right to buy the 26% of the permanent owners at the same price, but also it's involved in other adquisition, ´
this company it´s specializaded in airliner but not to manage them, just to make then profitable and sale it, iberia has been on benefits for the last ten years, but still have things to impruve, as many other ex puplic companys. still to muth personal, for 125 planes we have 25000 workers,
just 1800 pilots and 4500 cabin crew, promise that i dont know where are the rest .in a couple of yers we just will ha 95 planes. what we are scared it's if they sell the company by parts, many companys will be interested in the long haul, and another in the domestic, so the company as we know it today will desapear, still don´t kow if beter of worse, but i´m affraid that nothing good can come from that

Vortex Surfer
2nd Nov 2009, 23:28
Rumor has it that IB, who are presently affected by a cabin staff strike, are planning to lauch a new airline as IB Express. With A319-320s but also with other types. Something similar to GB Airways flying for BA...

boardingpass
2nd Nov 2009, 23:37
With A319-320s but also with other types. Something similar to GB Airways flying for BA...

you mean ready to be bought by easyJet in 2012-2013?

Morbid
3rd Nov 2009, 12:37
The spin:

Not a rumour, was publicised a while back here (say approx two weeks) and is basically a lower cost arm of Iberia short haul that will feed into the long haul Latin america network which will be expanded. Therefore cheap short haul will become profit making whilst long haul lays the golden egg.

In reality:

Iberia tried the same thing with Clickair and as soon as it started to encroach on what IB unions saw as "their routes" things started getting tasty. Its all well and good management saying "Right, we need EU routes at a cheaper rate so we'll simply set up a parallel carrier" but the unions won't accept it.

Expect a bit of posturing from both sides and the status quo being maintained for the short term. IB's big problem is that they sold off the family silver to inflate their balance sheet during 2004-2007 thinking that a private equity fund would buy them at 10 x profits. They didn't as the Spanish banks said "we want 15x profits". Now the airline is left with little strategic planning in place and no idea where its focus will be...

Seat62K
4th Nov 2009, 11:14
If Iberia is planning to start another (presumably low cost) carrier, I imagine it's also partly due to the success of AVE and the ambitious plan to expand high speed rail rapidly in Spain.

Let's not forget, too, the expansion of easyJet and Ryanair. I've seen Spanish domestic fares on Ryanair at under 5 euro one way.

P.S. Does anyone remember Viva Air?!

Eddie_Crane
7th Mar 2011, 12:33
from IAG:

International Airlines Group has reached agreement with Airbus to purchase eight A330-300 aircraft, and take out options for up to eight A330 family aircraft, for Iberia's longhaul fleet.
The A330s, which will be delivered between Autumn 2012 and Spring 2014, will replace up to 16 Airbus A340 family aircraft.

available here (http://www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=240949&p=irol-rnsArticle_Print&ID=1536326&highlight=)

aiman
7th Mar 2011, 14:12
Iberia, part of IAG, has become the latest customer of Airbus’ eco-efficient A330 Family signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the acquisition of eight aircraft. The A330 selected will be the only twin engine, wide body aircraft in Iberia's fleet and because of Airbus commonality it will fit seamlessly into its existing Airbus fleet. The engine selection will be made at a later date.

Iberia and British Airways merged in January 2011 and formed International Airlines Group (IAG), an Anglo-Spanish airline holding company, one of the largest in the world by revenues.

IAG chief executive Willie Walsh said: “The A330 is an excellent aircraft, both in terms of comfort and operational performance, and it will be a welcome addition to Iberia’s fleet. It also provides us with considerable cost benefits due to its lower fuel consumption and commonality with Iberia’s existing long haul aircraft”.

‪‪“We are very proud that IAG has selected the A330 Family in its very first purchase” said John Leahy, Airbus COO, Customers. “Iberia’s selection proves again that the A330 Family is the preferred choice among operators for an eco-efficient, mid-size, long-haul aircraft thanks to its low operating costs and outstanding comfort for passengers”.

‪The A330-300 has a range of up to 5,600 nm / 10,400 km with a typical 300 passenger load. Highly efficient and optimised for the medium–to long range market, the A330-300 offers the best balance between range and cost. The A330-300 remains the most economic means of flying around 300 passengers on medium range routes in true long haul comfort.

‪The A330 Family, which spans 200 to 400 seats for the passenger variants, also includes Freighter, VIP, and Military Transport/Tanker variants, has now attracted more than 1,100 orders.

mokilu
7th Mar 2011, 16:04
They probably didn't want the old 777s from BA.

ATNotts
7th Mar 2011, 18:07
Does this move herald the beginning of the end of BA's loyalty to Boeing for their longhaul flett (A380 excepted)?

You might have expected that the group would be looking for some sort of fleet comonality.

LD12986
7th Mar 2011, 20:51
In the long term, I expect IAG to go for commonality. In the short term, it was evidently not worth training pilots and cabin crew and setting up maintenance facilities at MAD for the 777. Bearing in mind how new IAG is to this world, this order must have been under consideration and negotiation pre merger.

LD12986
10th Jul 2011, 12:25
I am hearing from a couple of sources that Iberia will be joining its IAG sibling BA in LHR Terminal 5 from the Winter season.

cornishsimon
11th Jul 2011, 11:37
I am hearing from a couple of sources that Iberia will be joining its IAG sibling BA in LHR Terminal 5 from the Winter season.

There was also a rumour about JAL moving into T5, but does T5 have the capacity for it considering T5 still uses bussing gates ?

Skipness One Echo
11th Jul 2011, 12:34
There was also a rumour about JAL moving into T5, but does T5 have the capacity for it considering T5 still uses bussing gates ?

Nowhere near the capacity. To get other airlines into T5 you would have to kick out BA's own services across to inferior facilities and the bussing gates at T3. Also there is currently no provision for IB and JL's handling agents, unless BA Heathrow were getting back into the handling business a decade or more after leaving.

Skipness One Echo
11th Jul 2011, 12:35

Nowhere near the capacity. To get other airlines into T5 you would have to kick out BA's own services across to inferior facilities and the bussing gates at T3. Also there is currently no provision for IB and JL's handling agents (Menzies and JAL in house), unless BA Heathrow were getting back into the handling business a decade or more after leaving.

LD12986
12th Aug 2011, 16:33
Iberia is to launch MAN-MAD from the end of October:

IBERIA to Start Madrid – Manchester Service in W11 | AIRLINE ROUTE (http://airlineroute.net/2011/08/12/ib-madman-w11/)

From 30OCT11, IBERIA is launching Daily Madrid – Manchester UK service, with CRJ1000 aircraft operated by Air Nostrum. Reservation for this route is now open.

This is the 2nd route between Spain and the UK where IBERIA will launch this winter, the other route that has been announced was Madrid – Glasgow 2 weekly service from 01NOV11 (See post on 19JUL11)

Planned schedule as follows:

IB8502 MAD1545 – 1705MAN CRK D
IB8503 MAN1735 – 2055MAD CRK D

Oldtimer1
12th Aug 2011, 20:24
Iberia are obviously testing the water to expand UK operations. The UK is a very weak are for many European airlines including Iberia with only LHR served. Apparently Birmingham twice daily is also rumoured on the Birmingham thread, which is a currently an unserved route compared to MAN where easyjet and Ryanair both operate on the route.

BAladdy
13th Aug 2011, 17:23
Announced a couple of weeks ago but not posted here:

IB8500 MAD1040 – 1235GLA CR2 2
IB8500 MAD1355 – 1550GLA CR2 4

IB8501 GLA1305 – 1700MAD CR2 2
IB8501 GLA1635 – 2030MAD CR2 4

CabinCrewe
13th Aug 2011, 17:44
as it was posted and extensively discussed here
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/193145-glasgow-43.html

davidjohnson6
18th Sep 2016, 20:39
For those not familiar with Tenerife, the airport in the north of the island is a hub for flights to other islands in the Canaries, is the main focus for flights between Tenerife and mainland Spain, and is the area where most of the Spanish live. The south airport serves the main beach area of the island and gets the bulk the holidaymakers travelling from northern Europe.

Now the intro is over, Iberia Express has been flying between Heathrow and Tenerife-North a few days per week on a seasonal basis. Apart from a few dates around Xmas, flights seem to stop at the end of October. Is the route being quietly suspended ?

Yes, I know some LCCs have not yet released S17 schedules, but Iberia Express have released S17 ticket sales on other routes

Ametyst1
18th Sep 2016, 20:50
Yes, the Iberia Express service from London Heathrow to Tenerife North has been withdrawn from the end of October along with the services from Heathrow to Asturias & Oviedo and Gran Canadian.

LGWAlan
19th Sep 2016, 12:11
As it also appears does the 4 weekly LHR-LPA service - reverting back to the once week BA A319 on Saturdays

Buster the Bear
19th Sep 2016, 12:50
Were they just 'slot holding' routes?

nguba
19th Sep 2016, 13:25
Yes, and they were operated by IBX as the slot timings would have required BA to night stop an aircraft away from LHR which they don't do for the LHR leisure routes.

canberra97
19th Sep 2016, 23:01
Maybe BA will commence LGW to LPA as it's a missing link in there leisure destinations served from the airport.

LGWAlan
20th Sep 2016, 12:17
They previously announced a 4 x weekly LGW-LPA but then switched passengers onto the IBX service. We'll see if it does get announced now the IBX appears to be cancelled.