PDA

View Full Version : Attention all SAR/EMS types - Comms Question

Auscan
18th Jul 2006, 18:57
Good Day everyone,

Just wanted to pick a few experienced brains here and try to find the best solution to our problems.

We are looking at upgrading the comms systems in a few of our Bell 212's. I am looking for Brands and Models of systems that can service our needs well. At present we are running the original Bell gear and having a few head aches to say the least.

What we need is an Intercom system for the passenger cabin that allows 6 headsets to be plugged in and able to speak. All of the headsets need to be able to monitor radio traffic with at least two being able to transmit.

The left and right headsets need to be able to go " Hot " for winch operations with 5 by 5 readability.

I would just like to have an idea of what is out there and what seems to work well. Any tips or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

The Can

16th Aug 2006, 10:16
I can't give you the specifics on brands, but
You either have to go Military Spec or Civil (a fleet decision).
Civil spec can have problems with all the headsets plugged in at once.
Beware if the winch operator (wo) pedant comm is paralled with the co-pilot (cp) comm box (as sometimes happens). If you don't use a cp or a check pilot etc no problems, but if you do & you have a wo then both won't be able to use the ics.
Probably 2 comm boxes in the rear split down the middle of the ship, but make sure they are fitted within arms reach of the SHORTEST operator sitting in a seat otherwise they need arm extenders!
My advise is that what ever system you choose, or are sold, make sure you do an acceptance test. This test should include ALL headsets or helmets plugged into EVERY comm point (for a loading & impeadance check). DO NOT except the bird until you are happy all works well.
Good luck
800:ok:

16th Aug 2006, 10:26
Oh yeh,
I don't work for them but Comm Inovations make excellant reliable headset/helmet pendants.
http://www.comm-innovations.com/
and northern airbourne technology make good comm panels
http://www.northernairborne.com/
happy comms