PDA

View Full Version : FUA 738 Langford Lodge

chec tunset
18th Jul 2006, 17:14
Just seen a Futura 738 make an approach to Langford Lodge instead of BFS. It went around Very late! Been a long time since that happened last.

JW411
18th Jul 2006, 17:27
It won't be the last time! I was seven minutes ahead of the Danair 748.

BELHold
18th Jul 2006, 17:47
Very strange, ATC normally advise all arrivals on 07, especially non local, of the presence of a disused airfield with a similair runway layout (Langford) and also the fact that 07 is lighted.

Are you sure that what you saw wasn't a go around from approach to 07, I think the only 738 scheduled at that time was an XLA.

Kestrel_909
18th Jul 2006, 17:55
ATIS ''There is a disused airfield 3nm west of Aldergrove with a similar runway layout, Runway 07 at Aldergrove is lighted.''

I can't see any FUAs that were due in, there was a EZY Liverpool flight but that was a -700 so not the Futura sub.

Buster the Bear
18th Jul 2006, 18:15
Although I am not a spotter, easyJet have on lease a Futura 737-300 (and an Air Finland B757) until Sptember, EC-JUC?

BITE
18th Jul 2006, 19:45
It was a FUA 733 operating the EZY 607. It was a very late go-around, ordered by Aldergrove Tower. Apparently the Go Around instruction was inadvertantly blocked twice by another station; they got the instruction on the third attempt, along with the instruction "Climb IMMEDIATELY".

The subsequent visual approach onto R/W 07 looked very hairy; very (too) tight and fast left-hand circuit, steep turn onto very short final approach, all of which resulted in a long and fast landing.

EZY 608 departed 1 :35 late.

BELHold
18th Jul 2006, 19:54
Thanks for the info BITE, can you confirm if the AC was ordered to GA because he was lined up for Langford.

BITE
18th Jul 2006, 20:02
BELHold:

Aldergrove Tower Controller ordered the Go Around because the FUA (EZY) was seen to be making an approach to Langford Lodge.

Well observed by ATC, to say the least.

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Jul 2006, 20:59
Hats off to ATC. Hats on, coffee off to the crew.

carlos vandango
19th Jul 2006, 15:19
I presume these guys don't have data monitoring then? Anyone know how close they actually came to landing at Langford? Not as much excuse for it these days if you listen to the ATIS :=

Midland 331
19th Jul 2006, 15:43
IIRC, the DA 748 Captain was a much-respected, high-hours chap. Aldergrove was the only route which the Newcastle-based 748s were used on by then. "Go figure"

fireflybob
19th Jul 2006, 17:38
I hope the flight crew took the air traffic controller(s) out for dinner!

Hackhackwhosthere?
19th Jul 2006, 19:48
As already mentioned on another thread. The operating standards of some of the carriers who are wet leased in to do the Easyjet work which they cannot do themselves because they haven't got enough pilots are sometimes completely different to the orange airline.

Basically it's only a matter of time before something REALLY bad happens and if not for the quick reactions of the Aldegrove controller, today could have been that day. Well done guys! :D

There are other accountable managers in the orange house who are still there after MS has left and they were the ones who gave him such duff advice it cost him his job! Not a bad bloke really, meant well but way out of his depth.

Fangio
20th Jul 2006, 20:20
Midland 331
You say that the DA748 only operated into BFS at the time of the Langford Lodge incident. This was not the case. They operated the 748LGW/BRS/CWL/JER/LGW also NCL/BFS/CWL/BFS/NCL plus ABZ/SCS/ABZ and TXL/SCN/TXL/AMS. The captain as you say was very experienced and as he became visual, he unfortunately saw a long runway and accompanied by a new young first officer, promptly landed. Hence the warning on the ATIS when 07 is in use. Another 'Gotcha' is Ballykelly on the approach to Londonderry. Laker Airways managed to land a 1-11 at a private flying club's airfield instead of Mahon's main airport. British United managed to land a 1-11 on the taxyway at Gatwick.

Midland 331
20th Jul 2006, 20:24
I did not make it clear in my first posting, sorry.
I meant that the 748 based at Newcastle only did Belfast, to my knowledge, and the captain was on 748s alone, so it was not as if the route was unfamiliar. There, but for the grace of God...
I wonder if he did an absolute "greaser". Then, I wonder what first goes through the mind as the crew look for the terminal, parked aricraft, usual exits, etc,etc...
I once watched an Iberia DC9 taxi along the link to line up at 26L at LGW, and simply carry straight on into the maintenance area.
r

WHBM
21st Jul 2006, 09:25
British United managed to land a 1-11 on the taxyway at Gatwick.Just to be extremely pedantic, it was British Island (unless BUA did a separate one). Air Malta did the same as well shortly afterwards. I believe the lighting arrangements when the "emergency" runway was in use were changed afterwards.

Fangio
21st Jul 2006, 10:14
WHBMYou are correct, it was BIA not BUA and I seem to recall that the flight was being operated by two training captains. Both company names are now in the dim and distant past!!

OutofSync
23rd Jul 2006, 10:36
In addition to the 748 I believe an Aviaco DC-9 landed at Langford Lodge whilst positioning to BFS at the start of the summer season a number of years ago (early 1980s or late 1970s?). The crew asked for a 'follow-me' vehicle to take them to the terminal as they could not see it. Whoops!!!

WHBM
24th Jul 2006, 08:33
There have been many cases of landing at a wrong adjacent airport over the years, but as far as I am aware not one of them has resulted in an accident. Commonsense says it ought to be an extreme hazard, but seems not to have been so.

Anyone know different ?

Lon More
24th Jul 2006, 11:21
As opposed to trying to a departure (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20001031-0) going wrong

alternatelaw
26th Jul 2006, 09:22
Hi yaaaall,
very boring now they fl**ed up big time but so will somebody else, they just don't know it yet.Easy are heading for the big one, not if, when ! and they choose not to see it in their own airline,the guys are Knackered!!.
best to all during these difficult times in most airlines,all in the name of profits.
Alt

Fangio
26th Jul 2006, 09:53
Its called creative rostering!! Pilots don't need sleep. When you are at your most fatigued and feeling the effects of sleep deprivation, thats when something is going to bite you in the bum and it needs more than a shot of adrenalin into the bloodstream at 3 or 4am to deal with the unplanned situation/emergency/that presents itself, or down to minimas with a new F/O. CAP 371 is used by some crewing depts as a bible for rostering.
Directors of airlines or their major shareholders should be invited to spend a few nights on the jump seat to experience the fatigue factor. As for landing on the wrong runway or even the wrong airfield, thats small beer compared with totalling the aircraft, the passengers and of course loosing your own life

JW411
26th Jul 2006, 15:51
Fangio:

The BIA 1-11 was not being flown by two training captain. It was being flown by a training captain and a trainee captain.

The latter was a mate of mine and he kept telling the training captain that he was lined up the wrong bit of concrete but the training captain simply would not listen!

Fangio
26th Jul 2006, 15:56
JW411 Thanks for pointing that out, it was a long time ago,
cheers, Fangio

JW411
26th Jul 2006, 15:58
That's quite all right; I know my mate kept his job but I don't know about the other guy.

The AvgasDinosaur
14th Dec 2006, 07:59
Found this and thought it might be of interest.
http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/cms_resources/Boeing%20737-300,%20EC-JUC%2012-06.pdf
Hope it is
Be lucky
David
P.S. Now found the original thread
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235286
Hope the AAIB is still of interest