PDA

View Full Version : Tooradin Flying School.

brown_eyes
18th Jul 2006, 15:28
So whats happening down there? Where did the sailor CFI go?

down3gr33ns
18th Jul 2006, 21:54
Latest issue of Aviation Trader has an ad where the whole show (airfield and flying school) is up for tender. Must be a story there!!!

Duck Pilot
19th Jul 2006, 01:15
I also heard that they have got some involvement in the helicopters at Phillip Island. From what I believe the chopper side of the business is going very well. Are these companies owned and operated by the same people ?

Aussie
19th Jul 2006, 02:16
Last time i heard, they were skyrocketing...!

Aussie

Squawk7700
19th Jul 2006, 03:12
There are some simple answers. The CFI left his employment down there and rather than find another at short notice, the GA flying school is up for lease and I believe a successful "applicant" may have been found, but it's not certain at this point in time. I suspect that the advery in aviation trader suggests the whole box and dice is up for lease just to see if anyone else is out there wanting to take over, but it was probably just a feeler. The CFI went to a more "Royal" Victorian based flying school, possibly somewhere near Cheltenham.

Phillip Island helicopters is running under Sunraysia Helicopters AOC and that's going great guns apparently, however the field and chopper belong to Tooradin. Given how well Phillip Island is going I suspect that they'll have another chopper running there by Christmas; it's a very popular place, rivalling the 12 Apostles. The helicopter operator has a very impressive website and marketing materials from what I've seen of them and appear to be a very professional operator.

UnderneathTheRadar
19th Jul 2006, 04:34
Phillip Island helicopters is running under Sunraysia Helicopters AOC and that's going great guns apparently, however the field and chopper belong to Tooradin. Given how well Phillip Island is going I suspect that they'll have another chopper running there by Christmas; it's a very popular place, rivalling the 12 Apostles. The helicopter operator has a very impressive website and marketing materials from what I've seen of them and appear to be a very professional operator.

They're also very friendly - for my landing fee I got to borrow the ute to pop over to the fish and chip shop. Well done - makes me want to visit again.

scrambler
19th Jul 2006, 09:05
What about Lady Barron Airfield, is that up for sale also?

Squawk7700
19th Jul 2006, 22:47
Nope, different owner owns that one.

GearInTransit
20th Jul 2006, 06:48
They're also very friendly - for my landing fee I got to borrow the ute to pop over to the fish and chip shop. Well done - makes me want to visit again.

Yeah Right....I followed the PPR by phone and was told a $6 landing fee. Got there and was hit for $20. Thats the same as YMMB and 4 times YTYA. Not going back for gravel rash at that price.

Squawk7700
20th Jul 2006, 06:54
Welcome to the forums.

$6 must have been a misprint. $20 is the going rate down there.

GearInTransit
20th Jul 2006, 07:21
Squawk 7700

Thanks for the friendly welcome to the forum.

$6 was listed the the ERSA and Country Airstrips guide (and still is I think). I called the number in that and was told that amount.

THEN, after visiting, I called the operator who CONFIRMED the "misprint" in ERSA and said they were getting it amended.

I dont really care if it's $20 to cover the costs of the new gravel, - It's a nice location and the fish and chips are great. But when you only take enough money to buy fish and chips plus $6 for fees, and you can't get your chippies because of a printing error, you get very Hungry!

I'll just go off now and work on my integrity ;)

UnderneathTheRadar
20th Jul 2006, 08:14
$6 was listed the the ERSA and Country Airstrips guide (and still is I think). I called the number in that and was told that amount.

THEN, after visiting, I called the operator who CONFIRMED the "misprint" in ERSA and said they were getting it amended.

I dont really care if it's $20 to cover the costs of the new gravel, - It's a nice location and the fish and chips are great. But when you only take enough money to buy fish and chips plus $6 for fees, and you can't get your chippies because of a printing error, you get very Hungry!

I'll just go off now and work on my integrity ;)

Yep - real bummer - I'd be mighty peeved too. When I rang Tooradin airfield answered and they gave me the correct info straight up.

It is a lot, and they want extra for leaving the lights on (even though the windsock light almost never works and is miles from the actual strip too!) - I bet the cost doesn't go down once the said gravel has been paid for. But still, not many places you can taxi to the bottom edge of the runway and park up next to the trees and walk onto the beach (could even avoid landing charges if you're sneaky!).

UTR.

brown_eyes
22nd Jul 2006, 11:26
So who is operating the charter side? Have they still got regular runs to Flinders?

Squawk7700
23rd Jul 2006, 03:35
BrownEyes, there is a seperate AOC holder running the charter down there, so if it's you that keeps ringing and looking for a job, don't bother!

There are no "regular" flights to Flinders as some are suggesting.