PDA

View Full Version : It's now Official - Blacks come first.

JG1
18th Jul 2006, 13:50
http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/economy/display_article.aspx?Nav=ns&lvl2=econ&ArticleID=1518-25_1916166

Eskom ruling: Blacks come first

Cape Town - Black people must be selected over coloured and other ethnic groups in terms of affirmative action. This was the judgment of the Cape arbitration court, a judgment that could have far-reaching consequences for other minority groups in future.

"The court found that coloured people were at less of a disadvantage in the past than black people and this was why black people should benefit more from affirmative action," he said.

:yuk:
When is this racism in South Africa going to end????

GULF69
18th Jul 2006, 14:14
REVERSE APARTHEID - THAT'S ALL IT IS!!!

Flying Touareg
18th Jul 2006, 14:27
And so what? It used to be the other way.:)

cavortingcheetah
18th Jul 2006, 14:36
:hmm:

Relax. It's just another stepping stone on the path of conversion that South Africa takes to align itself with the rest of the contextually hideous sub-continent. At least it might mean the end of power play for white communists?:p

GULF69
18th Jul 2006, 14:36
Let’s not get into a racist argument here…That was not my intention. When you live in South Africa, and you are on the wrong side of affirmative action, you will understand. What annoys me is NOT the fact that people of colour get jobs - NOT AT ALL. What annoys me is that people get put into certain positions not because of merit, but because of their skin colour. EVEN IF IT MEANS THAT THEY CANNOT DO THE JOB PROPERLY! My personal opinion is "whoever can do the job best, no matter what race, should get it"

Flying Touareg
18th Jul 2006, 14:44
Gulf, now you are talking of meritsand what should qualify one to get a job, that is merit and not race or colour. Didnt you guys think of this during the apartheid era?

cavortingcheetah
18th Jul 2006, 14:48

When you live in South Africa which has now become a truly racist country; one great remaining satisfaction is to sit on the stoep, drink rum, smoke a Cuban cigar and shoot things, (thingies) whilst watching the place slowly and inexorably go down the tube, just has every other country south of the Sahara and north of the Limpopo!
Schadenfreude has its uses but human charity is not one of them!:E

Phenomenon
18th Jul 2006, 14:58
Didnt you guys think of this during the apartheid era?

Flying Touareg... I very rarely comment in discussions like this because I think it's stupid, to put it very bluntly. You are more than likely going to get racist remarks from both sides and that is unnecessary.

Just keep in mind when making comments like this, most of the people who are getting disadvantaged by this new system were only children when apartheid ended. Most of us back then couldn't even walk, let along fight against apartheid.

So please do not put all "whites" into this old stereotype... it's really getting old!

cavortingcheetah
18th Jul 2006, 15:02

Quite right too! With one teeny little caveat.
Apartheid was racism made law.
That's what's happening today in jolly old ZA.
No change from a tikkie there then!;)

Xshongololo
18th Jul 2006, 15:46
how did the rascist south african cross the road....?

He never did (or she) because he could never look both ways....

this applies to both you whites and blacks....

as for the original post at least Eskom are being honest and at worst affirmative action and all its hideous repprucussions will continue to sew the seed of bitterness...

putt for dough
18th Jul 2006, 16:00
Perhaps Eskom are releasing statements like this inorder to
divert all the negative attention they are getting, due to their
lack of planning and foresight with regards to the
ongoing power problems in this country!

But it's all going to be okay everybody!
They are " equal opportunity" employers:}

kq777
18th Jul 2006, 16:31
I'm not south african(i'm kenyan black/white, it doesnt matter), but I have noticed affirmative action for black africans is upsetting alot of white south africans(i'm assuming those upset are white)

I am impressed the south african government is taking steps at empowering the black population. Most african countries at independance just let the status quo be.

How would you have redress the current imbalance, as it is the white south africans still have the biggest economic muscle. Change is pain, but it is inevitable, blacks under apartheid had no opportunities. Whites now still have the same opportunities, they just have to cede a bit of their share of the national pie.

GULF69
18th Jul 2006, 16:33
HA HA, DOES THIS MEAN THE WESTERN CAPE WONT HAVE ANYMORE "BLACK OUTS??????"

Heli_Sticktime
18th Jul 2006, 16:54
Gulf don't mention the BLACKOUTS, it's like bringing up the war infront of the Germans:}
kq777, you're not here, you're not from here, so it's very difficult for you to have the full picture, but I can understand what you're saying:)
Flying Touareg, to bring up a real cliche since you're on the topic, do two wrongs make a right? I thought we were all supposed to learn from the past and move forward:ugh:

Flying Touareg
19th Jul 2006, 07:32
warlock or whatever the name is. i cannot join issues with you maybe because silence is the best answer to a:mad:
However, my views were only part of a constructive argument we are having and not an attack on individuals. It sad people like you in this forum deviate from the matter of a thread and decide to insult individuals who rightly expressed their views which stand to be corrected. Perhaps let me further explain what i really meant.My view is that if the policy says blacks come first, let it be based on merit for the blacks. If whites come first, let it be based on merit.
However, whatever it is, i am of the opinion that whites are still part of the governemnt or policy making institutions in SA and might have been on board when this policy was been made inorder to right the wrongs of the past.
It is unfortunate that you guys, very young at that time of the apartheid era, are now been asked to pay for what you never did and might never condone now. But that has to be the sad reality of today. I wish you are really students of not too far history, when so much inhumanity and barbarism, that is unforgettable was visited on the blacks.

JT8D-15
19th Jul 2006, 07:38
Greetings and salutations

Ladies and Gents I am not a regular poster but I am South African and feel I need to have my say.

For those who are not privilaged enough to be South African and don"t live south of the limpopo most of your opinions seem to be very narrow minded {I am sure not through any fault of your own} due to the fact that you don't live in SA and you don't experience what we go through day to day as South Africans. I won't mention any names .....like KQ or that flying rag guy etc. The fact is if you are a pale male in SA you are going to get over looked in favour of non-whites. Not all the time but it does and will happen. Example. NAC is looking for a charter pilot so I applied. I have way more than the minimum requirements and experience. The job was given to a non-white. Thats cool and I have no problem with the guy. I knew him and he was a super guy but very inexperienced. NAC told me they had make that position an AA position. This is just a small example but my point is that this "reverse racism" happens, so for those that are not here living with it and dealing with it as we are rather get your fact staight first before you shoot your mouths off.

rabidpangolin
19th Jul 2006, 07:57
When he was living in the UK Thabo Mbeki is reputed to have said: "We will suck the whites dry."...and suck it does, but the boot is on the other foot now.

To the bunker then!