PDA

View Full Version : US Police Pilot dies in cockpit

SASless
17th Jul 2006, 21:05
Police Chopper Pilot Dies Moments Before Takeoff
Kaiser Was 32-Year Veteran Of Force

UPDATED: 1:16 pm EDT July 17, 2006

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- A Columbus police helicopter pilot died early Monday, moments before he was to fly while on duty.

The incident occurred shortly before 2 a.m. at the police helipad, NBC 4's Ana Jackson reported.

The pilot, Officer Paul "Stan" Kaiser, got into the chopper with Officer Roger Howard and was preparing for takeoff when Kaiser felt faint.

Howard secured the helicopter and notified other officers in the heliport of the occurrence, according to a news release issued by the Columbus Division of Police.

Howard, also a licensed pilot, and the other officers shut down the helicopter and performed CPR on Kaiser, police said.

Kaiser, 59, was transferred to The Ohio State University Medical Center, where he later died.

"While they were preparing the aircraft to leave the ground, he suffered what is an apparent heart attack," said Columbus police Sgt. Mike Woods.

Kaiser was a 32-year veteran of the force and was assigned to the Police Helicopter Unit for more than 22 years, police said.

Police said the heart attack was unexpected because Kaiser had passed his yearly physical three weeks ago.

Police officers said Kaiser was a friend and mentor to many people.

"This is a big loss for the division. (He was) somebody who loved what they were doing every day and was passing it on. It's a terrible loss and we're going to miss him," Woods said.

22clipper
17th Jul 2006, 23:45
Poor guy, its hard to find something positive to say when a death is involved. I guess, if you are going to have a heart attck, that before start up or after shut down would be the time.

Am I allowed to say that I always regarded those early morning starts as a killer or would that be in bad taste?

paco
18th Jul 2006, 01:34
I guess he was just dead tired......

phil

You're right, though - better then than later

SASless
18th Jul 2006, 02:26
Probably heard his favorite Dunkin' Donuts store went out of business.

R22DRIVER
18th Jul 2006, 06:04
He must have strained too hard trying to pick up his twinkie off the cabin floor!:ok:

34'
18th Jul 2006, 06:33
lets hope the rest of us here give you lot just as much respect should this unfortunate thing happen to you... :*

alouette
18th Jul 2006, 06:57
You know, some of us might not agree, but I say luckily he didn't die in an elderly home or hospital. He died at something he was obviously very passionate about. Imagine rotting along in a hospital bed, frail, perhaps already mentally deranged, and doctors tell you that everything will be alright but you know all along you punched your lucky ticket to the pearly gates of heaven when the mind is crystal clear.

I would prefer a sudden death like this one.

Amen

34'
18th Jul 2006, 07:19
agree

34'

spinwing
18th Jul 2006, 07:57
ABSO BLOODY LUTELY ! :D

RIP ... and enjoy the black humour !!!! :) :}

Having said that I'm sure some guy in the FAAs medical section is pondering the circumstances of death so soon after a Flight Crew Medical and wondering how he can make life more miserable for us "Old Farts" !!!!!

:ugh:

paco
18th Jul 2006, 08:07
34' - there's no disrespect. Anyone who's been in the police and/or military will have the same outlook. When I go, I want to hear some black jokes I've never heard of! I also want a New Orleans jazz band, and I want to be buried in a sewage farm.....

so I can be properly interred!!!!

phil

John Eacott
18th Jul 2006, 09:12
Bugger: I'm nearly Mr Kaiser's age, time to start living it up :p PACO, I'm with the Jazz Band (Andy Lovesy, you still out there?), but ashes out of the back door for me, thanks ;)

Spinwing,

CASA are up to us, if you're over 55 you get a stress ECG almost as a given with too many points. Worthwhile, one of our local Senior Citizens felt a bit dizzy afterwards, and had a Stent the next day: and is back in the saddle, I'm pleased to say :ok:

Devil 49
18th Jul 2006, 11:31
Checking out with your boots on is better than fading away a little at a time as the lights dim upstairs, I guess. If I go in the saddle, I hope it's not at work.

I hope Officer Paul "Stan" Kaiser passed peacefully. (It ain't always so with cardiacs.) God bless him, and all the others in the thin blue line.

SASless
18th Jul 2006, 14:37
There are worse things in this life than dying. To depart this world while still active and "healthy" will be a blessing to me as compared to rotting away in a Hospice somewhere.

I take the view funerals are celebrations of a life and not morbid sorrowful events. When I take that final voyage over the bar....remember the funny stories, the jokes, the good times, raise several drinks, have a fine meal, render a hand salute (of your choosing), and march off to a good military march.

Hopefully, as in this fellow, he was well regarded and will be missed. That is as it should be.

The dougnut shop waitress is probably wearing black this week in memory of him too I bet.

OFBSLF
18th Jul 2006, 16:58
To depart this world while still active and "healthy" will be a blessing to me as compared to rotting away in a Hospice somewhere.My grandmother died at 105. She spent the last 8 years of her life bed ridden (broken hip) and suffering from Alzheimers. I hope I don't suffer the same fate that she did...

gadgetguru
18th Jul 2006, 22:03
die hard & fast doing what you love

no life lost is a pleasant thing, but what a joy to die at the controls without loss of aircraft or injury to innocent bystander, I hope he & is loved ones are content in that fact.

to have such a great job & serve until the (early) end
much better than lingering on grounded no longer able to fly
32 years on the job & 20 in the helo unit - not a bad innings sir

RIP

McGowan
18th Jul 2006, 23:06
Well done Paul Kaiser, 59 and still working. Bloody good effort, I would like to go in the same way but at around the 80 mark.
If I am going to be alive to that age I'll need to be working as my super will only keep me going for about 20 minutes after I retire....................
My thoughts are with his family and friends.

22clipper
20th Jul 2006, 02:30
I think the black humor & occasional vitriol save lives! Whenever I get the urge to do somethin' stupid (like fly the R22 from Pt. Macquarie to Lord Howe Is) the thought of the caustic pprune comments if something went wrong (like the engine quitting half way) snaps me back to reality. Does anybody know if donuts float?