PDA

View Full Version : Opportunities: Helicopter vs. Fixed Wing

AlmondBeach
17th Jul 2006, 13:40
Hello

As a mature wanabee, what is the helicopter job market like in comparison to the fixed-wing job market?

I know there are less helicopter jobs available than fixed-wing, ...but then I guess there are fewer helicopter pilots, and, thus, a lower number of helicopter students.

So, in summary, is a mature, low-hours, helicopter pilot more lilkely to get a job than his/her equivalent in the fixed wing sector?

Thanks

AB

PS This post sits between heli' and fixed wing forums - so didn't know the best place to post?

helicopter-redeye
17th Jul 2006, 16:44
I would say no. More jobs and more money in fixed wing. To have a competitive advantage with low hours would require either an IR(H) or a good contact(S) with somebody who will hire you, which may also mean doing 'owt for nowt' (but even that is doubtfull).

h-r;)

Bravo73
17th Jul 2006, 18:58
AB,

Watch out for the advice you get on here.

To have a competitive advantage with low hours would require either an IR(H)

An IR(H) with low hours will only get you an advantage if you intend on working on the North Sea. No onshore charter operator will hire you with low hours, IR or not.

An FI(H), on the other hand, is much more useful. If you are willing to travel, you will be able to find work pretty much as soon as you finish your course. After a couple of thousand hours of commercial and instructional experience, then start thinking about an IR(H).

which may also mean doing 'owt for nowt'

Never, ever offer to 'fly for free'. You're not doing your industry any good (essentially driving down wages) and you'll soon get a reputation that you probably don't want.

Your best bet at this stage is to plough through the Training FAQ threads. You'll find a sticky at the top of the forum. But if you are going to compare rotary to fixed wing, to put it simply: 'It costs twice as much to train and you get paid half as much but it's four times as fun!'

The best of luck whichever path you choose.

B73

PS Remember, 'watch out for the advice you get on here'. ;)

paco
18th Jul 2006, 01:44
The job market for helicopters is hot, but only for people with experience - it's getting there that's your problem. When starting late, you need the qualification that is going to get you the most hours, and an IR ain't it, unless, as Bravo 73 says, you wish to go offshore.

I would do the FI thing myself, as there is a shortage of good ones - for example, there are two $100K jobs for Class 1 instructors in Western Canada right now.

There are lots more fixed wing aircraft, but with people like Loganair expecting you to pay 20K (pounds) for your type rating and OPC up front, and you don't get paid till you pass, I would tread very carefully!

Phil