PDA

View Full Version : Best Time to Apply for Qantas Cadetship

autobrakes
17th Jul 2006, 10:51
Hi,

I've been told a few to apply for the Qantas cadetship as early as possible which would yr 12 and also by some others that it would be better to apply after uni. I understand after attending uni, you will have a backup but I've also been told a lot of cadets either apply after their CPL or during yr 12. Does anyone know what's the best time to apply for it and whether Qantas has a preference or not?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated! Cheers.

podbreak
17th Jul 2006, 11:24
Evidently QF have chosen both mature and otherwise in recent years. Their choices are pretty specific to individual personalities (so i've been told), so I'd suggest there isn't a rule of thumb, its up to whether you are ready or not. There seems to be plenty of current QF pilots, previous cadets, who did not get in through their first application but subsequent. Its probably best to apply early, if you think you're ready, and if your not they'll tell you and you can then go to uni, or work.

Aussie
17th Jul 2006, 23:55
Mate, i think you should put ya name in the hat, you wont be any worse off then you are now... :ok:

Aussie

autobrakes
18th Jul 2006, 06:23
Thanks for the replies thus far, would you recommend trying out for the cadetship during yr 12 if my yr 11 school report isn't that good. (To be honest, maths isn't my type of subject. I am however doing the minimum 2u maths and have a pass.) :(

As far as I know, a pass is ok however I would imagine the QF cadetship is different since it's so competitive they'd cut off applicants from academic results, is this the case?

*Lancer*
18th Jul 2006, 11:36
If your maths isn't up to scratch, they'll just tell you to do better in year 12 and come back next year. Then again, maybe its not such a big deal, and you will have convinced yourself out of an earlier opportunity! A year is a long time in aviation.

SkyScanner
18th Jul 2006, 11:39
you got your 3rd bar yet lancer?

autobrakes
19th Jul 2006, 05:59
Thanks Lancer, do you know how many shots applicants get for the QF cadetship?

Cheers

Aussie
20th Jul 2006, 03:06
I dont know how many shots at the cadetship, but i know a few that have got through on there 3rd attempt...

Aussie