PDA

View Full Version : Jobs on the ground while expecting...

flybywire
17th Jul 2006, 09:26
So....

I have just recently got the good news that I will be a mommy - YAY!
By nature I would tend to keep the secret from the workplace for a while - until the risk of early complications is very low - but it's not possible as our Flying Crew Orders require me to tell BA straight away.
It's a whirlwind of emotions. Especially good, but the fact that I won't be flying for many months is not making me too happy!!!
I cannot imagine myself "working" (or pretending to) on the ground doing some silly admin task that doesn't use my brain and makes me bored!!!

I have an interview with BA crew service centre in a few days' time to see what's available and what kind of work routine they expect me to do. I am dreading it!!
Thank god we don't have the staff shop anymore...so that's off the table.

Anybody here found herself in a similar situation? Or maybe grounded for ear/other health problems? What did you do? Did you enjoy it? Any info?

It might be the hormones going crazy already but I am really dreading it more than the all-day sickness which has already started and the pain of labour!!;)

Any advice or previous experience will be happily received (I promise I won't burst into tears if I don't like what you're saying) :ok:

Thank you!

FBW:)

flyyy
17th Jul 2006, 10:27
what about a job at check-in?
LX used to offer that to expecting mothers. they seemed to enjoy it. At least more than doing some admin job.

flybywire
17th Jul 2006, 17:29
what about a job at check-in?
LX used to offer that to expecting mothers. they seemed to enjoy it. At least more than doing some admin job.

Thankyou flyyy, that could be a good idea. I can ask them, however I am not sure they can place me there. They have offered me to work in Lost Baggage so far which is better than the staff shop, but they haven't decided it yet.
The lady in charge of grounded crew known I'd like for my brain to keep working, so hopefully it will be something good. I have no idea what the lost baggage job requires so I shall find out soon.

Thank you :ok:

tuismile
17th Jul 2006, 18:02
congratulations on your pregnancy FBW!! Bet you're chuffed!!!!!

flybywire
17th Jul 2006, 18:06
congratulations on your pregnancy FBW!! Bet you're chuffed!!!!!

Thank you honey!! :O
Well my better half is the chuffed one, so far I am more apprehensive than anything else!! It's the fear of the unknown I think. However it is the best news I've had in 2006 so I've been celebrating since I found out - on grape juice that looks like wine :E :}

apaddyinuk
17th Jul 2006, 21:13
Flyby...I thought you were under the "Progress to Purser" programme and not the Progress to Parenthood" one!!! :}
Congratulations babes! Yet another one bites the dust! HAHAHA.
Can I recommend Baggage tracing to you. Its a good laugh. I did it for EI in Dublin airport for a while and I loved it. Its always a smallish unit in the terminals and you get to know everyone and you even get to flirt with faceless stangers through the world tracer chat lines!!! Its a good laugh and you will get some very VERY invaluable experience about the lost luggage systems and airport operations for when you go back to the air. That and the rest of the staff will love you because if they put a pregnant woman out on the desk to take reports you will probably help camn down the irate ones!!! Hehehe.
But seriously, consider giving it a whirl. If you want any tips or advice about what it entails just let me know.
Congratulations again :ok:

lexxity
18th Jul 2006, 12:16
That and the rest of the staff will love you because if they put a pregnant woman out on the desk to take reports you will probably help camn down the irate ones!!!

Nope, that doesn't matter at all, but it does mean that you can yell back even louder and blame it on hormones. :p :p

Congratulations and I hope your maternity uniform is nicer than mine was.:p

Sylphie
18th Jul 2006, 12:42
Congratulations Mummy to be. That's awesome! Best wishes for a safe and trouble free pregnancy [I'm sure it will be!] :D

flybywire
18th Jul 2006, 15:54
Thank you very much guys for all your replies and good wishes!!!
I have my fingers (and for the first time in my life, my legs:E) crossed that all will be ok :ok:

I have had a chat with the lady who organizes work on the ground and I'll be placed in Training!!

I will find out what the job exactly is on thursday, can't wait!!!!!!!!!:D

Paddy....:E.......they say CRM with the flight crew is very poor.....see??? ;)

Lexxity....my new job doesn't require me to wear the wonderful maternity curtain :} so I'll have to get my own clothes (expensive, though!!)

Hehehe

FBW;)

lexxity
18th Jul 2006, 18:11
FBW if you are based in the UK the next sale is on this weekend and they have maternity wear on sale. Failing that try H&M for cheap clothes that'll last you 9 months.

flybywire
18th Jul 2006, 18:33
FBW if you are based in the UK the next sale is on this weekend and they have maternity wear on sale. Failing that try H&M for cheap clothes that'll last you 9 months.

Thank you lexxity!! Grat stuff!! I'll go and have a look!
I hope they do winter clothes as well as bubba is due mid march!! :ok:

mummyred
23rd Jul 2006, 22:34
Congratulations FBW!

Now listen here - be a militant mummy to be!

Your airline has to listen to you when you're pregnant - if you're tired - say so. If you're working crap hours - say so. I had a letter form my GP who was concerned about the v. early starts a pregnant lady had to do so my airline VS changed my ground job - only because I created a fuss though. I got a great job working part time hours with a full time salary! Stick up for your rights - its the airline that grounds you (obviously for all the right reasons ie you & the bump) so you needn't take crap conditions when its not your job to.

Put your feet up as much as you can. The easy bit is being preganant & giving birth! You can do it!

Go girl.:D

lexxity
24th Jul 2006, 09:09
Yes, don't be afraid to get your hours changed to be more reasonable. I got my 5am starts moved to 7am which was far more civilised. You just need a lettr from your GP. My other advice is to start saving like mad now just in case you want to extend your maternity leave past the 6month entitlement.

flybywire
25th Jul 2006, 17:49
Thank you girls for your precious advice, I really appreciate it. You see I am on my own in the UK all my family are in Italy and feel a bit "left out" as I don't get any proper support/advice (apart from my man, bless his heart,he's been an angel so far!)

I am lucky I work in training mon-fri from 08:30-09:00 to 16:00-16:30 and it's quite flexible. However I have my first midwife appointment next week and it's in the afternoon and apparently I am entitled half a day a week but only after week 20?!? I hope my boss will let me go as I've had a few problems and really need to take a blood test!!
Fingers crossed!!!!

At least the job isn't too bad!!!

FBW:)

lexxity
25th Jul 2006, 19:17
No FBW, you are entitled to PAID time off for ALL your antenatal appointments starting from the word go. Do not let your employer fob you off. It doesn't matter if your appointment is in the morning or afternoon. I had an appointment nearly every week due to complications and had paid time off for all of them.