PDA

View Full Version : Occupation

Monopole
17th Jul 2006, 07:01
Hi all,

I was wondering what you guys/gals, put your occupation as on online forms :confused: .

I have been filling out a few forms on the net of late, and realized that the usual two options really aren’t correct. For example

1. Professional = Doctor or Lawyer etc

2. Transport and Storage (taken by me as meaning truck drivers removalist etc).

I generally put Transport as it is my job to move people from point A to point B using a mode of transport. I have put professional at times though if I think that that could be beneficial.

Only once have I seen Pilot/Aviation directly mentioned in a ‘Drop Down’ on one of these forms, and it was under the title……………

Semi Professional :} :}

Aussie
17th Jul 2006, 07:53
Semi - professional..... must be refering to airlines.... coz it certainly isnt the GA world!!!

:} :}

Aussie

Pass-A-Frozo
17th Jul 2006, 08:01
Manual Labourer :p

Soulman
17th Jul 2006, 08:15
I can already see where this is going... :}

Trash Hauler
17th Jul 2006, 09:13
You don't need a title to be professional and many with a professional title just ain't.

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2006, 09:35
Whatever isn't on the ATO's hit list of 'professions to be audited'...;)

Monopole
17th Jul 2006, 09:41
Soulman
I can already see where this is going... :}
It is a honest question. If it goes where you think it may be going, that just shows how professional we are :(

Trash Hauler
You don't need a title to be professional and many with a professional title just ain't
Totally agree with you, but it is not what I was getting at. I think maybe you know that :ugh: :ugh:

professional(adj.)Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
professional(adj.)Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
professional(n.)A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.

So.........
A professional is a person who earns a living applying his trade in activities which amateurs participate

We are all professionals by definition. I layed my own pavers out the back, and painted the inside of my house. So bricklayers and painters etc. are all professionals aswell although they are known as Tradesman :p (how they act is irrelevant in my original question)

None the less, I think I have just answered my own question :ok: :ok: :ok:

Thanks anyway

Mono.

psycho joe
17th Jul 2006, 10:05
Does that mean that we now rank lower than prostitutes. :eek:

Howard Hughes
17th Jul 2006, 10:14
Pshyco, sometimes the lines become very blurred...;)

tobzalp
17th Jul 2006, 10:37
I put plumber because I am always dealing with ****.

Trash Hauler
17th Jul 2006, 10:43
Personally I consider myself a professional because of the function I perform and the level to which I perform that function however, I think you may be asking how other people view pilots and others of the aviation industry.

A number of years ago I applied to join a professional body (Engineers Australia) and was accepted at "graduate" level. What were my qualifications? Flight Engineer and LAME. By virtue of the professional association regarding me as a professional I am one - a bit odd really but it's the way of the world.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

TH

Pinky the pilot
17th Jul 2006, 11:22
Manual Labourer That would'nt be any good Frozo;
I've known of some types who think that 'Manual Labourer' was a Spanish Tennis player.:D :} :E :ugh:

Monopole
17th Jul 2006, 11:43
psycho joe
Does that mean that we now rank lower than prostitutes. :eek:
No mate not lower then. As professionals we all have equal footing in the title.

What it does mean, is that when it comes to 'between the sheets', you are merley an amatuer :} :} :}

Trash Hauler
Thankyou. That was closer to the mark for what I was getting at.

Mono.

Richo
17th Jul 2006, 11:53
Don't know if this helps Mono,

Pilots are not considered as "Expert Witnesses" in court procedings. I believe, but will probably be corrected, that an expert witness is someone who holds a recognisable qualification in the trade/area. All we have is a licence to "Pilot" an aircraft.
The same as a driver of a car is not an "Expert".

richo

Monopole
17th Jul 2006, 12:11
Thanks Richo,

If your car driver happens to get paid (raceing car driver for example) then he is a Professional and perhaps even an expert.

But when you have to choose from only to options close to your occupation on a rather 'general' list of occupations, one being

Professional, and the other being
Transport and storage which one are Pilots (and ATC for that matter).:D

OzExpat
18th Jul 2006, 12:19
Well, for my 2-toea worth (less than 2 cents...:} ), if the field for "profession" is a mandatory one, I figure the website wants statistics. Thus, I might be inclined to choose anything at all from the drop-down list for the sake of screwing their stats! :E

If it's not a mandatory field, I'm just as likely to leave it blank as to select anything that can be construed as being similar, in my warped mind. :ok:

Either way, it's not something that I stress over, I just prefer to take the path of least resistance.

pakeha-boy
18th Jul 2006, 17:58
...on my Yonited (United)interview they asked my "race"........so I put Pacific Islander....hoping that would sway things my way....the bloke says "your white from New Zealand"...I agreed but argued that there question was not very specific...in that NZ was in the Pacific and it was an Island.....making me a pacific Islander(just so happens the minority thing was getting people jobs all over the place)......needless to say I was shown the door and told never to apply again......the nerve......tried to answer the bloody question...in the most honest fashion and look where it gets you....just proves a little fibbing can be a bit of a BUGGAR!!!!:}

Atlas Shrugged
18th Jul 2006, 23:14
I put plumber because I am always dealing with ****.
Bloke once described his occupation as an Executive in a Sewer. Someone from the ATO asked him what he actually did and he said, "I get a bucket, scrape it off the wall, fill the bucket and pass it to the next man". The ATO guy then asked "How does that make you an Executive?" to which the first bloke "I don't have to take no **** from no one"

lk978
19th Jul 2006, 06:14
i am in transport i move pieces of scrap metal from place to place moonlighting as a taxi driver whenever the punters want to move with the metal...

is this serious... who cares i geuss it depends how many bars you wear 2= amature 3= semi professional 4= tosser

What time is ECT?
19th Jul 2006, 06:26
if you stop loving your job, I'll take it!!!
ECT?

Monopole
19th Jul 2006, 09:00
is this serious... who cares i geuss it depends how many bars you wear 2= amature 3= semi professional 4= tosser

I take it then that when you get a command on a nice shiney jumbo, you're gonna refuse the 4th bar :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

And yes it was a serious question, as to what to put on a serious (online) application form.

OzExpat
19th Jul 2006, 13:14
Well, if it's a...

serious (online) application form

I'd expect it to have a realistic and, indeed, "serious" list of occupations that are relevant to the said site. Therefore I would conclude that, if I couldn't find a "serious" occupation to use from the list provided, then the site doesn't want me - or the particular online job doesn't want any of what I have to offer.

aintsaying
19th Jul 2006, 16:38
Unless I see a listed category that applies, I'll put down professional.

You have to remember, the people who designed the form and who is using the form, has no idea of the inside of our industry. ie: a huge HR department with no one with direct aviation inside knowledge.

Remember not all sites are this way. just the majority.

LocoDriver
19th Jul 2006, 20:44
ECT, hmmmmmmm, better watch you!

I got you your first job, and your next step up-due any day now.

Dont get your sights set on my job just yet, gotta few years left in me yet!

Have to watch you, and Sloboy from Hamilton!
Ah well, thats the younger generation!

goin' loco'
:E :E :E