PDA

View Full Version : Jobs At Virgin Pacific Blue

flying_tyger
16th Jul 2006, 14:55
Afternoon all,
I recently applied for a job on the off chance with PB in Christchurch, NZ for an Operations job. I've had a response to it saying that the vacancy has now been filled but they want to conduct an interview with me as i have the Key Skills that they require and if if vacancy becomes available, then second interviews can then go ahead.
This is all well and good - however, I live in Christchurch, England. I am looking to move out to NZ, ive just finished my degree and can now do that, but does anyone have any info on PB recruiting brits?? its certainly makes the interview process a whole lot more interesting!
Cheers
FT

haughtney1
16th Jul 2006, 16:28
Tiger.....

The first thing you need to understand about New Zealand is that it is a very very small place. Thats not a bad thing if you like small places, it is however indicative of the place in as much as employers (particularly airlines) will make you jump through 8 flaming hoops to get a job.....when 1 dampened hoop would do just fine:}
The other thing you need to be aware of is the attitude of "we are big fish in a small pond" mentality:ok:
Understand this..and that its their trainset..then you will do just fine;)

Oh that's super!
16th Jul 2006, 16:35
You should perhaps check your visa requirements too.

flying_tyger
16th Jul 2006, 19:42
my visa requirements tend to depend on what job is offered - im trying not to jump the gun too much..

any other info/comments/views much appreciated?

SilverSleuth
17th Jul 2006, 12:02
And also Realise that flying for Pacific Blue has nothing to do with Virgin Blue despite what some people may tell you. You are employed under contract. (which means you are paid alot less, get no super or fulltime work rights)
Be aware there is also a lot going on (virgin work rule and EBA negotiations)and under industrial contract law you only need to be given two(2) days notice if the contract is terminated.
Talk to anyone else you know that may work for Virgin about PB not just to the PB pilots and the contractors hiring. They will have you believing long haul fantasy stories which I can assure are not true also. Always do your research.!!!!

MOR
18th Jul 2006, 03:38
Well as you are talking about an Ops job, you needn't worry about the pilot-hiring side of things (which is what some of the above is about).

On the employment front, they are more likely to be concerned with your skills and abilities than the residency side of things. Some NZ aviation entities actively recruit overseas because the recognise the valuable experience that often comes from with the applicant (the CAA for example). Their website has info on living and working in NZ, all ready for expat applicants.

Nice country here, not as crowded as Dorset is!

Chocks Away
18th Jul 2006, 09:47
SilverSleuth:
Your information is way off the mark and misguided. About half are fulltime employees now, the rest contractors.
PB (and Poly Blue) has everything to do with VB, as they're owned by them!
Also run under DJ flight codes, utilise the VB booking engine, websites, ground support, engineering... I shan't go on.

Good luck with the job. MOR has good advice and Christchurch is alot like England too, I guess.

:ok:

NoseGear
18th Jul 2006, 09:52
Yeah Chocks, except the local rugby team knows how to play the game, not like the poms!:E :E

mattyj
18th Jul 2006, 22:25
Yeah and the local soccer teams don't know how to play football..just like the poms :} :} :}

pakeha-boy
19th Jul 2006, 01:21
yeah...well after watching the latest soccer sagarso...they dont even know how to bloody head- butt....gawd!!!!!!!!!!!missed it by a neck and a half....

aviate2day
19th Jul 2006, 22:12
My sister and parents now live in NZ. They were trying to fix me up through a guy they know at Cathay. Family being ever helpful but I'm just not interested in LH.
Currently flying 733 in UK. Do PB take on UK guys with 73 rating. If so what's the hours needed and requirement for Command. Also what's the pay like, basing, hours a year etc.
Any info much appreciated.
Cheers

flying_tyger
5th Sep 2006, 08:55
Ok, I've now been offered an interview for crewing with Pacific Blue, anyone got any ideas on questions that might be asked?

FT

Enema Bandit's Dad
5th Sep 2006, 10:12
I suppose a good start would be why do you want to work for Pacific Blue?

guest27
5th Sep 2006, 12:19
.......and then........have you never been in Christchurch?