PDA

View Full Version : NZ Pilots

pilotwannabe
16th Jul 2006, 05:50
Hi all.

I'm a 16 year old aviation fanatic from Auckland. I live, breath and dream about flying!

I spend most my time on Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, with hundreds of addons to make it more realistic, and especially many NZ scenery enhancements and ANZ aircraft.

The rest of the time I am listening to Auckland air traffic on my RF scanner and am sitting in the carpark at various airports taking photos- See here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234891

I have travelled on loads of airliners, piloted a C152 and Piper Cherokee (fantastic experiences) and visited many flight decks before 9/11 happened.

It has been a while since I have been inside any cockpits- so my question here is- are there any pilots who are willing/allowed to take some photographs for me inside the cockpit of the aircraft they fly? I would love to see some shots inside the cockpit of an aircraft approaching NZAA, on the runway and taxing to the gate. Then I would like to take the flight myself on the sim and compare who accurate it is.

I run the NZFF New Zealand Flightsim Forums which you can visit here: www.nzff.co.nr

If you are a kiwi pilot here I would love to hear from you!

Cheers,
Andrew :)

MOR
16th Jul 2006, 10:28
Can't help you with Auckland, got a few of London City though...

http://www.blueskiesdesign.co.nz/images/EGLCfinals01.jpg

http://www.blueskiesdesign.co.nz/images/EGLCfinals02.jpg

Or how about Innsbruck...

http://www.blueskiesdesign.co.nz/images/innsbruckfinal.JPG

All copyright me, and not on airliners.net!

haughtney1
16th Jul 2006, 10:56
A couple more...first one is off airliners RWY 05R..as I dont fly into NZAA

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/haughtney/AKLairliners.jpg

The second one is Hurgada in Egypt..hope this gives you a good idea...

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/haughtney/Picture040.jpg

Jeeez MOR LCY looks short...oh wait..its cos it is!!

MOR
16th Jul 2006, 11:25
Yeah but the weather looks better in Hurgarda... must see if I can find my Malaga/Valencia/Gibraltar shots...

MonarchA330
16th Jul 2006, 11:58
Approach to Auckland 23L
http://www.cadetpilot.com/images/AAapp.JPG

pakeha-boy
16th Jul 2006, 14:39
MOR...HI......at least your both on profile ...papi-wise

Wombat35
16th Jul 2006, 19:47
Hi there Mr Wannabe,

How about this, you can come flying with me for free and take as many shots of the approach to Auckland (ATC permitting, however they are generally great and I'm sure they would help an inspiring aviator) then, well since we are around town we should pop past the sky tower for some more shots on our way to the gulf for some inverted / vertical shots :p

Sound like fun? Just make sure it's okay with your folks and let me know if you are interested.

Some things flight sim can't accurately present and inverted is one of them :E

The you can post your own shots! :ok:

Cheers

Wombat

pilotwannabe
16th Jul 2006, 20:08
Thanks for the shots fella's. I searched airliners.net previously and found no Auckland approach shots.

London City has to be one of the most interesting airports in the world, a runway in the middle of a river! Innsbruck is also fun to land at on flightsim- I have heard it has a world famous approach.

How about this, you can come flying with me for free and take as many shots of the approach to Auckland (ATC permitting, however they are generally great and I'm sure they would help an inspiring aviator) then, well since we are around town we should pop past the sky tower for some more shots on our way to the gulf for some inverted / vertical shots

YES! Are you serious? I would love to do that!

Sound like fun? Just make sure it's okay with your folks and let me know if you are interested.

It's all ok with them- I am most certainly interested! :):):)

pakeha-boy
16th Jul 2006, 20:33
wombat.......well done mate!!!!,I,m sure that will be something the young fella will never forget,and a great gesture on your part:ok: ......

Wombat35
16th Jul 2006, 20:44
Well, It's a beautiful day in Auckland today are you free this afternoon after school?

You will have to make it to Ardmore. PM me your contact details and we will make this happen.

Cheers

Wombat

pilotwannabe
17th Jul 2006, 05:08
Thanks ever so much Wombat!

I can't wait!

I have sent you a PM,

Thanks again :D

What time is ECT?
17th Jul 2006, 06:31
Good on ya Wombat35.

If you pop in to Airline Flying Club while you are at NZAR, then you can look at the pics of Tiger Moths in the roof of the Aero Club. On the weekend, there is also plenty happening - maybe even a spare seat.

ECT?

Keep it straight
17th Jul 2006, 06:49
wombat35, that very nice off you, thats how i got entusiastic around the same age, now a very long time ago.(so it feels anyway) pilotwannebe. make sure you share your experience on pprune. and have a good flight:ok:

MOR
17th Jul 2006, 08:27
MOR...HI......at least your both on profile ...papi-wise

Yes... ummm... well the F/O was flying at that point! Or should I say he was monitoring the AFGS...

pilotwannabe
17th Jul 2006, 09:30
Wow, I really was not expecting such a great response!

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me :ok:

I will definitely take my camera along and post some photos of my experience here on pprune.

Everyone’s generosity really is unbelievable! You guys have a great aviation community here :)

Runaway Gun
17th Jul 2006, 16:01
I vote Wombat as the new Prime Minister of New Zealand :ok:

What a legend !!

Keep it straight
17th Jul 2006, 16:28
Wombat gets my vote too.:ok:

J D
17th Jul 2006, 18:11
What a great gesture!!!

Mr Wannabe...I would love to hear how your flight went. It sounds like you have a great ride in store for you. Please give us the full report.

Cheers,
JD

DirectAnywhere
17th Jul 2006, 20:50
Maybe the Woomeri should consider stickying this thread.

Nice to see such a positive thread for a change instead of the way we usually go about business! Great work guys...

Wombat35
18th Jul 2006, 19:55
Hey Guys,

Just a quick update spoken with Mr Wannabe and Saturday morning is a go, wx dependant. ATC (thanks for your efforts so far) are going to try and help as it's not quite as easy as you might think.... creative clearance required ;)

For those interested we will be flying in ZK-CIT which is a 2002 Citabria with approx 300hrs on the clock. I mainly use it for tailwheel and Aero's training at Ardmore. If you haven't flown one, you should, as they are FUN FUN FUN.
Curtis has a few at Camden for my ozzie mates.

http://www.legrope.com.au/PAS/images/CIT%20in%20Hanger.JPG

http://www.legrope.com.au/PAS/images/Cockpit.jpg

Howard Hughes
18th Jul 2006, 23:32
What a great thread, good work Wombat and I hope Wannabee has a great day!!:ok:

I might have to show those shots to my F/O's, fine examples of how the PAPI should LOOK!!:rolleyes: ;)

Keep it straight
19th Jul 2006, 02:22
this tread is a prime example off what GA and the private part off it is all about. :ok: well done wombat you deserve a medal!:D

MOR
19th Jul 2006, 04:11
Mr Wombat... sorry to be downbeat... but that thing only has ONE engine! And where are the avionics? And the flight director...???

No... too dangerous! ;)

pakeha-boy
19th Jul 2006, 04:26
MOR...great minds think alike.(heheheheh)..thought the same thing ...but as you can see his misses is at the controls....so you now know the situation is under control...

.....as long as WOMBAT(a gentleman indeed) just gives verbals.... it will be a successful flight indeed....the young fella will get to work the controls and we now have a young aviator,...bloody good,and well done :ok:

MOR
19th Jul 2006, 05:23
Yeah, but still... it has struts to hold the wing up!!! And that prop only has TWO blades...!! And... I think... yes, it looks as though that engine has PISTONS in it!!!! And is that some kind of FABRIC on the fuselage where the aluminium should be...???

Scary stuff.

But hey, scary is good, right? Can I come for a ride? Huh? :} :} :}

Pilotwannabe... have fun. After this, you have no excuse not to become a pilot.

Start saving!

Ratshit
19th Jul 2006, 10:07
Would be a challenge even for a "Sheep shagger" to use it for trike training!

R:cool:

Wombat35
19th Jul 2006, 20:06
Ahh yes, the tailwheel and a sheep shagger joke thrown in as well :} I do feel honoured even though I'm an Ozzie at heart. :ouch:

For me the Citabria is how flying should be,

stick
rudder
windshield ;)

Now Mr Wannabe don't be put off by these "Jet Jockey's" :hmm: , we will have fun and you are in safe hands, I've flown things without props as well. Even flown with the nav from the F111, (Hey Luke, good job by the way or at least from what I saw on TV) :ok:

I must say that after a call to AKL Twr, they have been very supportive, so thanks for doing your part to make this a good day. :D

I'll sign off now and leave it to Mr Wannabe, hope he enjoys his flight thanks everyone for you comments, I'm sure you would all do the same thing if you had the chance. And whatever you do don't tell the missus her pics on the net, let alone PPRUNE, she'll kill me :\

Spinco
19th Jul 2006, 22:04
Hi Wannabe
I can help you with some airfield shots and flightdeck photos taken from the B777 I fly and I am more than happy to take additional photos for you of other airfields I fly into.:ok:
If you would like to send me your address by e-mail I will mail you a CD with the photos - the files are too big to send to you over the net.
Happy flying with Wombat AKA Skippy!:)

Kermit 180
19th Jul 2006, 22:36
Good stuff Wombat! This is probably the most positive response ive ever seen on this site to a request from a genuine young aspiring aviator. Wannabe, youre in great hands with Wombat, hope you enjoy your sortie. Save lots of money and live your dream! :D

PS: Wombat, you better hope your missus doesnt surf this site mate! My lips are sealed. :oh:

Wombat36
20th Jul 2006, 03:24
Too late! "The Missus" has already found out.

Now, get back to work all of you.

Mrs Wombat:mad:

MOR
20th Jul 2006, 03:38
I've flown things without props as well.

Hey, you've flown gliders too, huh? ;)

Couldn't resist...

Wombat35
20th Jul 2006, 05:55
Well this isn't supposed to be about me, poor old Wannabe... however since you asked, yes, Pipers field Bathurst 1986, and Wombat36 who tipped you off? I don't want to go home now....:\

Pass-A-Frozo
20th Jul 2006, 07:42
Hey Wombat35, you better hope she didn't look through your index.dat file... she'll see all the sites you've visited on the home PC :eek:

AIRWAY
20th Jul 2006, 19:49
That isa great gesture from Wombat :ok:

Actions like these doesn't happen often... And for the wannabe it is a great experience...

I still remember when out of the blue a captain friend of mine invited me to come along and fly on the jumpseat for a whole working day on an Embraer 145 it was amazing (the flight day was agreed and off we went).

I know what captwannabe is feeling right now, enjoy and have fun.

We all want to see those pictures :}

pilotwannabe
20th Jul 2006, 20:59
Hi again all,

Great shot of the aircraft Mr Wombat- it sure looks like a lot of fun!

I have been looking forward to our flight all week and can't wait to get airborne already. I better charge the batteries up overnight for the camera, I think I will be taking heaps of photos ;)

Also, thank you for your reply Spinco- I have sent you a PM.

Thanks again everyone,
Andrew aka Pilotwannabe

archangel7
21st Jul 2006, 11:07
Hey wannabee,
Great to see your enthusiasm in Aviation. I can still remember my first flight... I was so excited that I couldn’t sleep the night before. I remember throwing up 3 times and felt really sick!!....I remember thinking, 'what the hell have I got my self into this time'?? I can recall the moment that we were airborne. Any concerns were immediately wiped away by the excitement. and 10 years on since that flight, nothing has changed.( apart from feeling sick, but that quickly went away after a few flights) I'm still just as excited each time I take off and I still love the incredible views and the feeling of freedom once your cruising in level flight. :ok:

Good Luck CHAMP! :cool:

Cypher
21st Jul 2006, 11:35
Wombat... PM me..

I'll pledge $20 NZD towards your landing fees and costs...

Have fun Capt Wannabe.. I started this way about 8 years ago and haven't stopped since...

archangel7
21st Jul 2006, 11:41
wombat PM me too, ill put something in as well :)

pilotwannabe
22nd Jul 2006, 03:03
Hi All,

Just got home and written up a flight report which you can read here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235733

We had the best time,
Thank you ever so much Wombat!

Cheers,
Andrew

2dotsright
22nd Jul 2006, 13:49
After all these years of reading negative rubbish from negativer people on pprune and then suddenly THIS... My faith in pilots has been restored. What a wonderful gesture from those involved, good luck with the flying young fella, I'll sleep well tonight.

always inverted
22nd Jul 2006, 23:07
pilotwannabe, don't know if you know about it or not but the Auckland Aero Club at Ardmore and any aero club have a programme called the Young Eagles. If my memory serves me correctly they do similar things to what wombat did for you. In that if the pilots are going flying on certain days and they have spare seats they are happy to take you allong. Please don't quote me on the specifics as it's been a while for me now but I'm sure they still do it.
Again, well done to wombat, we need alot more people like that in the world.
Cheers:ok: :ok:

pilotwannabe
23rd Jul 2006, 04:38
pilotwannabe, don't know if you know about it or not but the Auckland Aero Club at Ardmore and any aero club have a programme called the Young Eagles.

Hi always inverted,

Yes I have been told about it before but can not found any information about them.

Do you know if they have a website?

Thanks

AcroChik
23rd Jul 2006, 04:55
WANNABE!

Here's a link for Young Eagles in New Zealand:

http://www.flyingnz.co.nz/youngeagles.html

... which should get you started in the right direction.

I'm active in the Young Eagles program in the US, specifically in the Hudson River Valley ~ from New York City ~> north ~ in New York State (US), and have helped six folks your age get started toward their PPL. Four of them have completed. It's a terrific program and I know you'll get a lot out of it.

Just after I graduated from high school, I set off alone for six months in New Zealand. I've been from Reigna to Bluff and back. New Zealand is blessed with what is probably the most varied and gorgeous landscape you can pack into a small country. But a place is just a place until you add people.

This thread's the proof of what I've always felt ~ based on meeting hundreds of people in Aotearoa ~ that New Zealanders are the most hospitable, generous and unassumingly friendly people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I can't stop smiling.

Thank you!

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Jul 2006, 13:00
But a place is just a place until you add people.

And sheep!

Ok..I'll get my hat:}

J D
24th Jul 2006, 13:33
Acrochic....
I could not agree with you more! New Zealand and its people are the best you will find anywhere. In fact, I was so impressed I married one. I hope that when I retire from the AF in a couple of years I can find a flying job there so I can get my wife closer to her family as well as raise my kids there. That and the fly fishing and beer just can't be beat!!

I have really been turned off by this site as well as the flightinfo site by all of the negativity...my faith has been restored.

Cheers,
JD

pilotwannabe
24th Jul 2006, 20:07
Thank you very much for the link AcroChik- I will go and investigate further.

troppo
24th Jul 2006, 22:52
Auckland Aero Club used to run a Jean Batten Memorial Scholarship that provided training up to PPL (?) all you had to do was write an essay. Don;t know if it is still round but worth asking about. I think it was about this time of year.
Best wishes young fella!
:ok:

the maori mobster
26th Jul 2006, 00:37
sweet bro!!!

Keep it straight
27th Jul 2006, 11:59
also pilotwanneby ther is something called the waslch memorial thing or something rather. i think they do that in matamata every year but i am not sure. about the ins and outs. but i think that they train you up to solo stage in a school holiday. i have no idea how to get in that but i hope a few kiwi's on this side be able to help out. if nobody reply's on the walch thing i will try to find out for you. cheers k.i.s.

scroogee
28th Jul 2006, 23:19
That would be the Walsh Memorial Scout Flying School, info avaliable on the Scouting NZ website- including costs, application forms etc. While primarily for venturer scouts/ranger guides, there are usually spaces avaliable for non-scouting participants. The school is run for 2 weeks during January each year.

pilotwannabe
29th Jul 2006, 00:41
Thank you for telling me about the Walsh Memorial (I have found the website here: www.scouts.org.nz/schools/walsh.htm)

I have added the page to my favourites and am just about to download the information and entry forms.

Keep it straight
29th Jul 2006, 05:27
thanks scroogee thats indeed what i meant. from what i understand i really nice experience for the students to get a taste off flying and a lot off instructors donating there time and aircraft for this course.

Visual Approach
3rd Aug 2006, 04:56
"The Walsh" will be held between 11 & 25th Jan 2007, and judging by the last few that I have attended it will be excellent. Not only do most achieve their first solo, but I believe ALL have a wonderful time.

"The Walsh" is total emmersion in aviation. You eat sleep and breath it for 2 weeks in the sunny Waikato.

As well as learning to fly (to solo standard) there are also chances to fly in some pretty unique aircraft...like the Coupe, the Cub, and roumour has it that Slackie's going to have his 2 seat Pitts there next year - if you liked the Citabria then you'll LOVE the Pitts!!

slackie
3rd Aug 2006, 05:02
Yip! She'll be there for a few days! Just to set the story right...I think I probably own the tailwheel...MAD is indeed a syndicate owned aircraft.

Just to whet the appetite.... http://www.aerobatics.co.nz

multi_engined
3rd Aug 2006, 13:06
Those are some awesome pics dude!

Well done and good luck with your flight training!