PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Trained Pilots; How hard is it to work for European Outfits

airbusa340
16th Jul 2006, 01:43
Hello;
I'm a student pilot on the U.S. who wants to fly for the commercial airline industry as a pilot. How difficult is it for me, if I am trained in the U.S. from the very beginning, to switch careers to fly for European Carriers like Lufthansa, Air France, Austrian, etc after about 20 yrs or so of flying for U.S. airlines? Assuming I recieve my Instrument, Multi -Engine, Commercial, CFI, and ATP ratings all from the FAA, do I need to convert this to JAA or will these do? Please clarify this w/ in depth explanations if anyone is well briefed on the subject; this is a carreer move I'd like to make for personal reasonons and I know it is not impossible, but how exactly difficult is it.
please elaborate
Regards

BigGrecian
16th Jul 2006, 02:51
Here's a rough overview:
The conversions aren't too difficult. There are plenty of JAA schools in the US. If you are planning to convert after 20 years I would assume that you will be holding an FAA ATP so scroll down to ATPL. However, the rules are VERY likely to change during that period so what's below is a general process...
Firstly I'd recommend LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_06_WEB.pdf). Although not the definitive document like the FARs - it pretty much explains the majority of UK JAA Licences. The information below is using UK based licences. There may be agreements in place with other JAA member states.
Section A1.7 of LASORS contains some conditions pertaining to the conversion of non JAA Licences. There are also waivers depending on how desperate an operator may be for pilots - although someone else would have to advise.

Groundschool:
Either the ATPLs or CPL And IR exams must be completed
Would recommend ATPL - save the hassle when upgrading to an ATPL .
All 14 exams need to be done I'm afraid - that's 650 hours of groundschool study (If you don't hold a ICAO ATPL) So that's 6 months of ground study - look for ATPL ground school using the search function.

Commercial:
Section D1.5 of LASORS.
Basically 5 hours of complex aircraft training to complete a 170a (Pre-skills test test)
Commerical Skills test (NB Can be completed in the US.)

Multi:
Needs a written paper then a JAA check ride with an examiner. Or you could do a Multi Commerical. (NB If you have a single engine class rating the privilages automatically transfer under JAA.)

Instrument:
Section E1.1 of LASORS.
Minimum of 15 hours of which 5 can be in a simulator. (5 in FNPT1 or 10 in a FNPTII)
Minimum 10 hours flight instruction.
170A - pre skills test test
JAA IR Skills test - must be taken in a member state (Ie outside the US)

ATPL:
Section G1.5 of LASORS>
Again all 14 exams but time as specified by a Head of Training at a Ground School provider.

Suggest you read up on LASORS G1.5 - the notes have other examples.
Would require a type rating to be undertaken unless you meet specific requirements as detailed in LASORS. That would depend on your hours break down and how many hours on type in a Multi Pilot Aeroplane - your better off looking at this around year 18!

The real question is - how do you intend to get the right to live and work in Europe? There are plenty of qualified Pilots in Europe so a work visa might be tricky. There are N registered aircraft flying around Europe in the corporate sector - had you thought of this? Marriage is probably one of the easier ways to gain the right to work.

Good Luck!:)

airbusa340
16th Jul 2006, 03:42
Thanks for the Info BigGrecian; will do some research on this and will keep this option open; in regards to the right to work issue, I have considered marriage which is a big factor on making this move, but I am also a native citizen of Romania; if I maintain that citizenship by constantly renewing my passport for that country and when Romania enters the EU, will that grant me the right to work in the EU even If I love in the U.S.? Or do I kinda need to find a cute Fraulein or Madame to help me w/ the paperwork?:uhoh: Again, very serious question; I'd appreciate any further imput
Cheers to all

BigGrecian
16th Jul 2006, 03:49
Romania joins the EU at the start of 2007 I believe. Therefore, once it does you will have the right to work and abide in any other EU country. (In principle and as far as we are concerned you can.) This is assuming you have a Romanian passport - which will become purple soon!

The cute Fraulein or Madame is optional, although I wouldn't advise against it. ;)

Piltdown Man
16th Jul 2006, 13:15
airbusa340 - working in the EU depends on whether or not you have to right to live and work in the EU. Like the US, we don't like foreigners (ie. non-EU) coming in to take our jobs. And don't forget that our T's & C's are rapidly being eroded by the likes of those from the former Eastern Bloc prepared to work for peanuts.

Streety
16th Jul 2006, 18:54
BG,

Why would you go to Romania to find a French or German Bird? Better to go to France or Germany surely... :hmm:

airbusa340
16th Jul 2006, 19:38
surely!!
Romanian only came into question regarding the right to work issue; but it looks like I'm good on that
thanks for the imput lads