PDA

View Full Version : Qantas UK

easyJet Galley King
15th Jul 2006, 21:49
Hey. Im currently a junior at a certain orange LCC, however am eligable for Senior in 2 months.

Have seen that Qantas are now recruiting for LHR based crew to operate their flights to BKK, HKG and SIN. Any people out there got any more information about pay, conditions, length of trips, whether company are any good, staff perks etc?

Im very happy where I am, but feel that if you see an oppurtunity, you should just go for it. Any advice would help me to make an informed decision as to whether to pursue this, or hang on for my seniority.

Many thanks

ozskipper
16th Jul 2006, 09:34
3 destinations at the moment. BKK, HKG, SIN. Trips are all 4 day patterns. You operate 747-400 and the A380 when it eventually arrives.

Roughly £1050 - £1100 per month basic, plus £500 - £600 per month in locally paid allowances.

Staff travel after 6 months. Unlimited ID90 on Qantas Group services for you +1. Unlimited ID75 for parents. Unlimited ZED Tix on participating airlines (most airlines).

Despite some of the comments made on here, the London Base is doing quite well. There are around 400 or so crew, with a mix between Aussies who transferred up and locally recruited English & European crew. It's a friendly base and seemingly most people get on well together.

Rloulabell
16th Jul 2006, 10:48
I applied to Qantas nearly 3 months ago online for their base at Heathrow, I still haven't heard a thing. Apart from an email saying they had received my application. I have emailed their recruitment team and sent a letter as have recently passed an online training programme and still nothing, apart from on Thursday when they asked me to fill out another part of a new application form! Is anyone else having this problem?

oz_ba_boy
16th Jul 2006, 15:08
Hey easyjet!

I used to work at the QF LHR base and recently left.

I was among the first batch of locally (UK) recruited peeps and pretty much enjoyed my time at QF.

As you probably know already you actually become employed by a Qantas Subsid company, 'Qantas Cabin Crew (UK) Limited'.

Money is OK, not great, but OK. Most months, including the allowences I got down route I was clearing about 1300 or 1400 pounds.

You get a fair mix of the three routes, rest can be quite short on some, longer on others. Also rest back in UK after trips can vary.

The crew generally seemed a good bunch, although there are quite a few 'enthusiastic' types as some transferred from the OZ bases for promotion and others are pursuing promotion by being very enthusastic.

All in all, thought it was a good 'introduction' to long haul flying.

;-)

fly20
25th Jul 2006, 22:11
does anyone know if Qantas have a minimum radius in which you have to live in order to get a job (eg 90mins of airport). how many flights would you do per month? how many days on standby, and how often do these standby days turn out to be actual call outs?
any answers much appreciated!

Glasgow_Flyer
25th Jul 2006, 22:16
... and the crew are lovvvvverllly ;-)

SallyEZY
26th Jul 2006, 08:44
Hi,

is it possible to live e.g. in Germany and to fly only from LHR? Going to your shift with the plane and also going back after the duty.....

Pax Agent
26th Jul 2006, 09:30
A few more questions to add to this pot! lol! Is the salary you quoted after tax??? And also how much of those allowances are spent (on a usual trip) downroute. I know if you go drinking your gonna bring back nothing but air!
And are these allowances paid in cash downroute??? I presume in $USD?

Cheers.

Paxy X

easyJet Galley King
27th Jul 2006, 14:11
Well thanks for the responses guys.

I have since applied - Got to go for these things when you see 'em.

Eagerly await any form of response, however Rlouabell has enlightened us that it could be a while!!! :ugh:

If anyone out there has applied, and does hear anymore, i'd love to be kept in the loop. Also any further answers to these questions woud be appreciated.

flying-again
30th Jul 2006, 08:12
I applied back in May and then went back on middle of July and had to update certain things on there and re-submit. I called them last Thursday and asked about my application and sorry to bother them and he said that they preffered it when people called as it showed that you are really interested he then gave me a short telephone interview and then gave me a choice of dates for an assessment.

Any of you still waiting to hear back give them a call mon, there no is 08700 927 092

Good luck everyone, let me know how you go

Xtra Crew
30th Jul 2006, 09:53
How many days off do you get a month?
How many trips do you fly a month?

ozskipper
30th Jul 2006, 17:57
Ok, I'll try to answer all the questions if I can...

You must be able to be at the airport within 90 mins of being called out from standby. So yes, you can commute from another city / country / universe providing you can make the airport in 90 mins when your on standby (most commuters come over to the base for their standby shifts if they live in another country). You get a non-flying line (ie reserve) for 1/2 a roster period (so that's unconfirmed trips for 1 month) usually 1 or 2 times a year.

It's true, 95% the crew are lovely. But like anywhere you do have your mix of tools and work shy drop kicks. They are definately in the minority tho.

The take home pay quoted is after tax. The local allowances are exactly that - locally paid allowances in the local currency. Technically, the local allowances are supposed to provide for your subsistence while you're away and as far as Mr Inland Revenue is concerned you don't bring any home. Read into that what you will :E

If you've not heard anything for awhile contact AeroPro on the number shown in this thread (08700 927 092) who does the initial screening for Qantas in the UK. It's very competitive and there are a LOT of people on the database, so it does take some time. We don't ordinarily have massive recruitment drives like the other airlines (being a relatively small base) so it can take a little while.

You get a minimum of 18 days off in a roster period (8 weeks), but it's rare to have only the minimum days off - you usually get more than that.

You do one trip a week usually.

There, I think that answers all the questions..... Apart from, yes I'm a boy and yes I'm very good looking, so my mum says :) (Ok, nobody asked, but its only a matter of time!)

warwicks
1st Aug 2006, 15:28
Hi,

I have just applied to Qantas but just wandered if anyone had any information about the trips and also I saw about the staff travel but I was unsure as to what ID90 and ID75 meant?

Any help would be great guys,

flystarboy
1st Aug 2006, 17:00
The ID thing relate to "Industry Discount" and the number is the amount of discount you get so ID 90 means you poay 10% of the regular fare.

warwicks
1st Aug 2006, 17:49
i feel really stupid now

thanks for the reply :)

easyJet Galley King
5th Aug 2006, 11:15
Well gang, had a phone call from Qantas the other day, asking if I'd be happy to go through my application. It turned out to be a 20 minute phone interview, which I have since found out I've passed, so am heading for an assessment day on August 25th.

How exciting!

warwicks
6th Aug 2006, 07:47
Hey,

congratulations. How long did you have to wait from them receiving your application to the phone call?

I submitted mine about 6 days ago- spoke to them briefly on the day just make sure I had done everything and the woman was really nice on the phone

good luck in your assessment :)

northern_boy
6th Aug 2006, 17:20
hey warwicks, I also applied a few days ago - would be good if we could all keep in touch with any progress!

:)

warwicks
6th Aug 2006, 18:02
Sounds good northern boy.

good luck!!:)

northern_boy
6th Aug 2006, 18:28
Sounds good northern boy.

good luck!!:)

Thanks very much - and to you as well. :)

easyJet Galley King
6th Aug 2006, 21:32
Heard from them about 2 weeks after submitting my application. Caught me off guard abit, but still managed to get a assessment day from 'em. Anyone else heading up to Jury's Inn, Heathrow on the 25th August?

warwicks
8th Aug 2006, 13:57
Hi Northern Boy,

I had an e mail from Qantas today just saying that there is currently a backlog and they will contact me as soon as possible.

Did you get the same?
Hope things are going well

rapha345
8th Aug 2006, 15:52
Hi, i had a phone interview for about 20 minutes last week and now i am waiting for some news.
Did you have the same phone interview as me?

aussiebird
8th Aug 2006, 16:01
Hey, i recently applied for Qantas and also have an assessment day on the 24th aug. Is there anyone out there who could possibly give me some advice as to the assessment day itself? How I should prepare myself?

cheers nic

rapha345
8th Aug 2006, 16:05
Hey, i recently applied for Qantas and also have an assessment day on the 24th aug. Is there anyone out there who could possibly give me some advice as to the assessment day itself? How I should prepare myself?

cheers nic

Hi did you have a phone interview before being invited at the interview?

SallyEZY
8th Aug 2006, 16:07
Have an interview on the 25th...:-)

oneroam
8th Aug 2006, 17:54
I also received an email today stating that they had lots of apllicants and there is a back log and that they will get in contact soon. I have not had a phone call as working within europe so gave them my local number if they do wish to ring. It sounds like Air New Zealand all over again for me as they had loads of people apply and only a few positions available, so not holding my fingers crossed for this one either. Any of you guys applied to 'silverjet' too? :)

northern_boy
8th Aug 2006, 18:23
Hi Northern Boy,

I had an e mail from Qantas today just saying that there is currently a backlog and they will contact me as soon as possible.

Did you get the same?
Hope things are going well

Hey there

I certainly did get the same email. Guess we'll just have to wait and keep our fingers crossed :bored:

SAS_909
8th Aug 2006, 19:25
I applied to Qantas nearly 3 months ago online for their base at Heathrow, I still haven't heard a thing. Apart from an email saying they had received my application. I have emailed their recruitment team and sent a letter as have recently passed an online training programme and still nothing, apart from on Thursday when they asked me to fill out another part of a new application form! Is anyone else having this problem?

Hmm... I was just wandering, where did you apply online? I can't find any link on their UK site?
Please help, since it sounds like an exciting job.

Thanx... :-)

SallyEZY
8th Aug 2006, 19:56
http://www.qantascabincrewuk.com/employment.html

ozskipper
9th Aug 2006, 09:00
Guys,
If you are interested in working for QCCUK, there is a heap of information on this site (even this thread alone) if you look for it.
Trip lenghts, salaries, contact numbers are all listed in this thread. That should answer all your questions. :ugh:

ask26
9th Aug 2006, 20:07
Sorry to hijack but this seemed a thread in which I might find a few answers but does anyone know whether you can get work as a pilot for Qantas based in the UK, being a UK citizen or is this opportunity only for Cabin Crew?

aussiebird
10th Aug 2006, 14:08
Hi did you have a phone interview before being invited at the interview?

yes I did of which I was completely unprepared for!!!Do you have an interview as well?

rapha345
10th Aug 2006, 17:16
yes I did of which I was completely unprepared for!!!Do you have an interview as well?

Yes i had one too, one week ago, but since the phone call no more news from them.
Do you have some news since yours?

aussiebird
11th Aug 2006, 12:41
Yes i had one too, one week ago, but since the phone call no more news from them.
Do you have some news since yours?

yeah I called them the day off to see if I was successful and they invited me to an open day or Qantas day. Maybe you should give them a call?

warwicks
12th Aug 2006, 09:47
Hi Guys,

Qantas recieved my application on August 1st and since then I have had an e mail saying that they have a backlog and will appreciate my patience.

Should I give them a call at all? Does this show willing or does it just show impatience and inability to follow instructions.

I really want to work for Qantas so any advice would great.

Thank you ;)

A321trollydolly
12th Aug 2006, 11:43
I applied for qantas uk recently and was quite patient. Took about 3 weeks to get my phone interview. No contact beforehand.

I have interview in less than 2 weeks. If they have emailed to say they are backlogged I personally would advise not calling as you have recieved communication from them.

I will post some info on interview when completed.

Good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

FLYING_HOSTIE
15th Aug 2006, 11:13
Hi guys, I really want to work for Qantas, I had an interview back in May but was unsucessful... I really want to re-apply, but dont know if they'd even look at my application so soon... :-(

Any ideas how to get around this?

A321trollydolly
15th Aug 2006, 15:19
Hi Hostie

Standard for all airlines is 6 to 12 months. You could give them a call to clarify the rules as applications applying early are simply dumped especially when they have so many applications to process.

Good luck

oneroam
15th Aug 2006, 16:16
Hi guys, just received a phone call from the recruitment team for Qantas, and they wanted to chat for a while but due to working abroad I
asked if I could call them on friday as returning to the UK on thursday for a short visit to see family and friends ect.

So this must be the phone interview I have been waitng for, yipeeee!!

Basically I am now asking the people which have had the phone interview what I am to expect?! Are they going to ask me questions regarding what I put on my application like my previous employers ect?

A few hints would not go a miss and tthey would be very much appreciated, thanks:)

Good luck to everyone who has got this far:D

rapha345
15th Aug 2006, 16:52
I had, this interview too, but no more news since this interview.
One of my friend had this one too, he was fired because of his height and received a mail just 10 minutes after the interview.
I hope to be invited.
They asked me exactly the same questions as the application form and a few questions about my working experience! They will ask you also your height. They will explain you the 3 destinations and the salary...

rapha345
15th Aug 2006, 16:56
I applied for qantas uk recently and was quite patient. Took about 3 weeks to get my phone interview. No contact beforehand.

I have interview in less than 2 weeks. If they have emailed to say they are backlogged I personally would advise not calling as you have recieved communication from them.

I will post some info on interview when completed.

Good luck. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hi A321trollydolly, How long after your phone interview do you receive the invitation for the assessment day you will have?
Because i had my phone interview 3 weeks ago.
Thanx

Good luck to you.

FD Floozy 12
16th Aug 2006, 02:51
Hi all

Does anyone know if Qantas UK has an upper age limit for new crew? :uhoh: Even if they can't advertise it?

xx

ozskipper
16th Aug 2006, 08:28
There is absolutely no problem calling the QF recruitment team. In fact, your application is probably more likely to be processed there and then if you do call. There is a massive backlog because of all the applications received and it certainly isn't frowned upon if you call to check the status of your application - just approach it sensibly and you'll be fine.

The UK base is only for cabin crew. Qantas pilots are all based in Australia and that's the way it is going to stay (for the moment).

The phone interview doesn't go for very long and you will be asked about your history, experience and some stock standards questions (no, I won't tell you what they are). You will be asked your height (163 to 183 cm) and regardless of how cunning you think you are, we do check and although you might get an invite to the assessment day, you will be automatically knocked out and not invited to interview once we have checked your height.

There is no upper age limited for Qantas. Published or unpublished. Providing you are medically fit and successfully pass the interview and training components, you will be employed as crew.

GalleyChick
16th Aug 2006, 11:28
The height requirement is there but as Leane7 says it's not the be all and end all. I'm 163cm tall - right on the minimum height requirement, but I have a friend who started with me who comes up to around my nose - so a good few inches shorter.

FD Floozy 12
16th Aug 2006, 11:48
Thanks Ozskipper. I'm in my late 30's but look much younger....have applied and have fingers crossed!:O I'm sure you are a very good-looking boy;)

xx

A321trollydolly
16th Aug 2006, 11:53
Hi A321trollydolly, How long after your phone interview do you receive the invitation for the assessment day you will have?
Because i had my phone interview 3 weeks ago.
Thanx

Good luck to you.

Hi Rapha

I was asked to phone back next day, after the phone interview. I then arranged my interview date over the phone.

Definately think you should call.

All the best.

spunksta22
17th Aug 2006, 00:54
Hi all,

I am a cabin crew in Australia and I too have applied with QANTAS UK and was told that they would contact me in the coming weeks... However, I do not have a British passport and was just wondering if they will sponsor me for a work visa so that I can work in the UK?

Cheers!!

HeavenScent
17th Aug 2006, 11:03
Hi all

First time posting!

I too have been invited to the next stage, ie an assessment day on the 23 Sept.

I applied online about 4 weeks ago -got an email telling me it had been received and then got a follow up email a week or so ago telling me they had a backlog and would be in touch as soon as it got sorted.

I then got a missed call on Tuesday which I returned the next day and spoke to a lovely guy who was most polite, friendly and helpful - this telephone interview lasted 20 mins or so. He gave me plenty of information and was very thorough. He asked me to call back the next day (today, Thur) I did and like I said have been invited to the assessment day.

Im really excited and nervous, I want this sooo much - have done for years.

Good luck to all!:ok:

ozskipper
17th Aug 2006, 17:39
Guys, I can tell you with absolute certainty that the height requirement is strictly enforced for Qantas in the UK. If you don't fall into the 163cm to 183cm then you are wasting your time.

Qantas will not sponsor you to come to the UK. In fact it won't even sponsor Australian transferred crew who want to stay in the UK.

GalleyChick
17th Aug 2006, 18:00
Last year the Australian Qantas crew (ones that were already working for QF and transferred over) who didn't have EU or British passports applied for UK working visas through Qantas. External applicants I believe have to be able to work in the UK ie: either have EU or British passport or have a visa already.

TC1
19th Aug 2006, 13:48
Hi everone, iam new to this forum but just thought i would write a reply to the post.

I appiled to qantas on july 30th and got an automated reply more or less straight away, then on august 8th i got an e-mail about the backlog (same as you guys).
I thought i would give them a quick call on friday (18th aug) to see where my application is at.
I was told it is now under review and should hear back sometime next week.

The guy on the phone told me that they get around 100 applications every day and that 30% of those fail the application stage. He told me that at the moment i was in the 70% that made it this far, he also said that the good news is that they have a lot of assesment days coming up.

So i guess now its just a waiting game (i just hope I get that phone call this week).

Tc.

SallyEZY
19th Aug 2006, 15:46
Just a quick Question..is it possible to commute from Germany to LHR when working for Qantas UK???? Or is it difficlt because of the roster flying???

Thaks in advance..:-)

GalleyChick
20th Aug 2006, 19:44
SallyEZ

There are a few QF UK flight attendants that commute from other countries (France, Spain, Italy etc....). There are 3 routes we do - Hong Kong which signs on at Heathrow at 10.50am, Singapore signs on at 2035 and Bangkok signs on around the same time as Singapore. As long as you can make it for sign on it doesn't matter where you live. Obviously Hong Kong sign-on will be harder to get to as it's a morning start, commuters tend to fly in the night before and stay with friends.

When you have a reserve month (being on call) you must be within 90 minutes of the airport. That is from when they call you for a duty they give you 90 minutes (sometimes more others less) notice. Here is where you might need to arrange accommodation in London.

Hope this answers your question. It's a fantastic opportunity to live somewhere else. Those that commute love it.

SallyEZY
21st Aug 2006, 06:40
That's exactly what I'm looking for....thanks a lot!!

:ok: :ok:

seasick
21st Aug 2006, 11:26
Is it an assett to be of a different nationality than British when being interviewed by QF UK, or doesn't it matter?

seasick

kmp1
21st Aug 2006, 20:01
also new to this forum..... Just thinking about applying to QF UK - It's probably been asked before, but can someone give me a rough idea of take home pay?
My sister-in-law works for AO and I guess her pay is OK, but she works a lot!
Also wondering how much is based on seniority? Is there bidding for roster's etc, or is seniority just involved for pay and leave etc?

thanks!

BaronChotzinoff
21st Aug 2006, 23:00
Are these (http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos.php?id=/photos/2006/features/TDUlaunch06/4) from Qantas?

If so, sign me up, old boy!

kmp1
23rd Aug 2006, 02:15
also new to this forum..... Just thinking about applying to QF UK - It's probably been asked before, but can someone give me a rough idea of take home pay?
My sister-in-law works for AO and I guess her pay is OK, but she works a lot!
Also wondering how much is based on seniority? Is there bidding for roster's etc, or is seniority just involved for pay and leave etc?

thanks!

TC1
23rd Aug 2006, 19:08
Hi,
Just a quick question - has anyone applied to qantas uk in the past few weeks? (ie-from the end of july or begining of aug) If so have you heard anything as yet?

Thanks.

ozskipper
24th Aug 2006, 13:22
KMP1 - the answers you seek are at the beginning of this very thread and in recent other threads. No offence, but I'm not typing them again.

Seasick - it doesn't matter what nationality you are for QF UK, as long as you have the right to live and work in the UK.

seasick
24th Aug 2006, 14:09
Anyone who has been to their interview and perphaps could share some info? :)

seasick

pinkypants
24th Aug 2006, 14:20
Hi There,

I applied for cabin crew a few weeks ago and had a telephone interview on friday last week. I had another call on monday offering me to go to Heathrow on the 19th sept and i cant wait!!!

Is anyone else on this day?
Can anyone give me any hints and tips for the interview?!

pinkypants
24th Aug 2006, 14:33
Hi,
Just a quick question - has anyone applied to qantas uk in the past few weeks? (ie-from the end of july or begining of aug) If so have you heard anything as yet?

Thanks.

Hi there!

I have found the process to be really quick, i had my phone interview on friday and they called back and asked me to go to Heathrow this Sat! I have decided I need more time to prepare so i am booked on the 19th sept.

TC1
24th Aug 2006, 14:39
Hi Pinkypants,

When exactly did apply? i applied a right at the end of july and am still waiting- i rang them and they said they had my application and were reviewing it and would be in touch within 10 working days - this was last week and iam itching to hear back now - although at least it isnt a no as yet, Good luck with your assesment anyway.

warwicks
25th Aug 2006, 14:06
hi TC1

I applied at the beginning of august. I had an e mail a week later saying there was a backlog. I called them last week and after a really friendly phone call with someone i was told i would hear back.

The person that called me back was rude and asked why i had called as they were working through things and would get back to me when they can.

It seems that some people who call them get their telephone interview there and then and others dont and i seem to be one of the unlucky ones :bored:

kmp1
26th Aug 2006, 01:55
Thanks Oz....

Hey how many does QF UK have based at LHR??
Anyone live in Henley or know of anyone who does? I Passed someone in uniform the other day on the High Street!

TC1
26th Aug 2006, 09:13
hi TC1

I applied at the beginning of august. I had an e mail a week later saying there was a backlog. I called them last week and after a really friendly phone call with someone i was told i would hear back.

The person that called me back was rude and asked why i had called as they were working through things and would get back to me when they can.

It seems that some people who call them get their telephone interview there and then and others dont and i seem to be one of the unlucky ones :bored:

Hi,
I did call them once and they told me more or less the same thing (although they were not rude to me).
I think its true some people do seem to have better luck than others and seem to get through the process really quickly, I guess its just a question of waiting and hope for the best.

Some people who do call are delt with there and then but I would'nt want to anoy them by calling too much, I think there is a fine line between showing that your keen and wasting peoples time.

You will have to let me know if you hear anything more and I will do the same.

Thanks.

ozskipper
27th Aug 2006, 22:30
KMP1 says....
Thanks Oz....
Hey how many does QF UK have based at LHR??
Anyone live in Henley or know of anyone who does? I Passed someone in uniform the other day on the High Street!
There are over 400 crew based out of LHR.
Warwicks says....
hi TC1
It seems that some people who call them get their telephone interview there and then and others dont and i seem to be one of the unlucky ones
Hmm, that's a shame they were rude. Ordinarily the people you deal with are actually very friendly. Sorry that had to be one of your first interactions with the recruitment process.

pinkypants
28th Aug 2006, 09:00
Is anyone on the assessment day in heathrow on the 19th sept?? also can anyone help me with the interview process?

Thanks!:uhoh:

SAS_909
30th Aug 2006, 10:45
I have applied for the QANTAS UK position two weeks ago... But I haven't been phoned yet, nor have I received an invitation. How long can I expect to wait? I am really getting anxious that they might have forgotten me.

warwicks
31st Aug 2006, 08:34
Hi,
I did call them once and they told me more or less the same thing (although they were not rude to me).
I think its true some people do seem to have better luck than others and seem to get through the process really quickly, I guess its just a question of waiting and hope for the best.

Some people who do call are delt with there and then but I would'nt want to anoy them by calling too much, I think there is a fine line between showing that your keen and wasting peoples time.

You will have to let me know if you hear anything more and I will do the same.

Thanks.

Hey,

I had a missed call from Qantas yesterday which I returned this morning. Had a 20 minute telephone interview with the recruitment team where they asked you about customer service, why you want to work for them, about your education and other activities you may have put on your application. They then tell you about Qantas which just made me want to work for them more.

At the end she asked me to think about the position and give her a call back tomorrow. I dont know if this is a good sign as some people have said you hear straight away if you have an assesment day.

The lady on the telephone was really really nice and it was very relaxed.

I am very nervous now! Were other people that got an assessment day asked to call back or told straight away? :O

Hope all is good

Mick Strigg
31st Aug 2006, 12:56
My daughter received a second "thankyou for your application.......big backlog......be in touch soon" email yesterday. Anyone else getting more than one holding email?

warwicks
31st Aug 2006, 16:05
I had to wait 4 weeks to the day for the telephone interview.

They said to me today that they are still recruiting and there are lots of days during september.

I would tell her to keep hanging on :)

lauwingtofly
31st Aug 2006, 16:48
Hey,

I had a missed call from Qantas yesterday which I returned this morning. Had a 20 minute telephone interview with the recruitment team where they asked you about customer service, why you want to work for them, about your education and other activities you may have put on your application. They then tell you about Qantas which just made me want to work for them more.

At the end she asked me to think about the position and give her a call back tomorrow. I dont know if this is a good sign as some people have said you hear straight away if you have an assesment day.

The lady on the telephone was really really nice and it was very relaxed.

I am very nervous now! Were other people that got an assessment day asked to call back or told straight away? :O

Hope all is good

Hi,

Same for me... I went through a phone interview yesterday and at the end the lady asked me to think about the job, which day would suit me better for an interview in case I would be successful... and to call back on the following day...

I called her back this morning and I was very happy when she told me she had good news, I had passed the phone interview !!! :ok:

So don't worry, you didn't have the answer straight away but it doesn't mean anything...

Fingers crossed for you until tomorrow ! ;)

PS : I chosed to attend the interview on the 23rd of september... We might see eachother there ...

warwicks
1st Sep 2006, 08:09
Hey there,

Called Qantas this morning at 9am- and after them not being able to find my file (which scared the hell out of me) I have been invited to a recriutment day at Heathrow.

I am going on Thursday 21st October- anybody else going on this day?

TC1
2nd Sep 2006, 08:38
Well done Warwicks iam really pleased for you.

I applied right at the end of July and am still waiting, I recived another e-mail on wednesday saying they had a huge backlog and would be in touch soon.

Last time I called (just over 2 weeks ago now) they told me my application was still waiting to be reviewed and that really i didnt need to call back again as someone should be in touch within about 10 days or so.

I know they seem really busy at the moment but iam kind of worried a little bit (esp as you applied just after me but have heard already), I really dont want to bother them again ( esp as i called already) but i dont know if I should maybe wait until sometime next week and if i have not heard anything give them a quick call ( i dont want to miss out) or just to wait like they say.

Well done anyway.

SAS_909
2nd Sep 2006, 14:33
My daughter received a second "thankyou for your application.......big backlog......be in touch soon" email yesterday. Anyone else getting more than one holding email?

Yes, I did. And I am getting really tense. I can't wait.

Red Raven
2nd Sep 2006, 15:55
Actually I called and spoke to someone called Ann. She sounded really nice and helpful!

She asked me to go back to my application and make sure I have completed my employment history and attach my CV and call her back.

SAS_909
2nd Sep 2006, 16:12
Hmm... Sound like a plan. But what is the number to them? I can't find it on the application site? Could you post it?

Red Raven
3rd Sep 2006, 11:03
Sure, it's 0870 092 7092.

Good luck, buddy!

EXEK
4th Sep 2006, 12:26
I filled out my application form yesterday and uploaded my cv after encountering a lot of hurdles when trying to convert it from my mac to pc. Just phoned and spoke to Ann to ensure they had received my cv and it wasn't all disjointed and screwed up and she was very pleasant and said i would hear the results very soon either way!! getting exciting now! wish me luck!:ok:

warwicks
4th Sep 2006, 12:45
I filled out my application form yesterday and uploaded my cv after encountering a lot of hurdles when trying to convert it from my mac to pc. Just phoned and spoke to Ann to ensure they had received my cv and it wasn't all disjointed and screwed up and she was very pleasant and said i would hear the results very soon either way!! getting exciting now! wish me luck!:ok:

They have been really helpful but it is taking about a month at the moment to hear anything from them so don't get disheartened if you don't hear that soon as it doesn't mean anything.

Good luck! :)

pinkypants
5th Sep 2006, 08:12
Hi Pinkypants,

When exactly did apply? i applied a right at the end of july and am still waiting- i rang them and they said they had my application and were reviewing it and would be in touch within 10 working days - this was last week and iam itching to hear back now - although at least it isnt a no as yet, Good luck with your assesment anyway.

Hey there,

Have you heard anything yet??
Im v excited about my interview on the 19th, I will let you know how the interview goes.

Good Luck!
:O

TC1
5th Sep 2006, 19:15
Hi Pinkypants,

No i still have not heard anything yet and iam worried now as it seems that some people who applied after me have heard back already.
I last called them about 2 and a half weeks ago and the person that I spoke said hopefully i should hear from them with about 10 days and there is not really any need to call again as they will be in touch.

Like i said though this was 2 and a half weeks ago, I know they are really busy at the moment and dont want to keep bugging them but i think i might give them a quick call on weds or thurs of this week as iam a little worried.

Anyway good luck to you, let us know how you get on and i will let you know if i hear anything.
TC.

kmp1
7th Sep 2006, 00:29
I bet they fast track the people who are qualified and they definately want, as they are priority then they review the others after. It only makes sense...... Good luck to all that have applied, i'm sure you'll hear something soon.:ok:

Pandora's Box
8th Sep 2006, 11:21
I applied about 4 weeks ago.

I also received the backlog e.mail but I finally got the phone interview the other day.

I spoke to a lovely guy and he offered me an assessment day straight after the interview, I did'nt have to ring back the next day or anything :ok:

Good luck to all.

TC1
9th Sep 2006, 08:27
I decided to give them a call on wednesday after waiting for a long time and spoke to Ann - a very nice lady who said she was sorry that i had waited for so long and would look into my application, sure enough 45mins later i had a phone from them asking if i had 15mins or so for a chat (i knew it was the phone interview) however i couldnt really talk at the time so was asked to call back the day after.

I called and spoke to Ann again who gave me a very relaxed interview and asked me to call back the next day.
When i did call she asked me to go for the assesment day- so will be going on thusday 21st sept -anyone else on the same one?

Its great to finally get it sorted and get this far.

warwicks
9th Sep 2006, 11:32
I decided to give them a call on wednesday after waiting for a long time and spoke to Ann - a very nice lady who said she was sorry that i had waited for so long and would look into my application, sure enough 45mins later i had a phone from them asking if i had 15mins or so for a chat (i knew it was the phone interview) however i couldnt really talk at the time so was asked to call back the day after.

I called and spoke to Ann again who gave me a very relaxed interview and asked me to call back the next day.
When i did call she asked me to go for the assesment day- so will be going on thusday 21st sept -anyone else on the same one?

Its great to finally get it sorted and get this far.

Hey Mr,

I am going down on the 21st aswell. Think I will be staying down there the night before though :)

oneroam
9th Sep 2006, 16:11
Hi Guys,

Just thought that I would tell you about the assessment day as I have already been which was at the end of August.
As you have already said in the past threads that you had a chat and if you were successful in the phone interview then you have the chance to go to the assessment day at the Jury Inn at Heathrow.
You have to be there by 8am and the day starts around 8.30am.
Your names are read out and you are placed into groups and you have an assessor watching and taking notes throughout the whole exercise. This usually last around 1 hour. Then its time for a 15 minute break, where you re-entre the room and do another group exercise with a different assessor watching and taking notes.
Once this group exercise is over it is the begginning of the waiting game.
You wait for around half an hour and at this point they read out the names of those who have been selected for the next stage. Sadly my name was not called:{ .
Just letting you know that they are interviwing around 250 people in the space of five days for only 30-35 places so the competition is tough!
The money is not too bad, thought it was going to be better, so better staying where I am!!
If you are driving and parking in the hotel car park, make sure that you have got £10.00 on you as QANTAS do not pay for your parking!!!

Best of Luck to you all in September, its going to be tough!!!

oneroam:)

Mefly
9th Sep 2006, 21:31
Would have to agree with that. I was also interviewed at the end of August. There were 2 group activities and then we waited about an hour for a decision. Do your best but try not to be too disappointed if you don't get through to the afternoon cos they're very picky and who knows what they're looking for. One of the interviewers said he was interviewed 3 times before being offered a position!
Good luck everyone.

TC1
10th Sep 2006, 17:40
Hi,

just a quick couple of questions to those that have done assesment day before.

If you are manage to get through everything in the morning and stay for the afternoon, Do you have your interview on the same day or at a later date?
In the e-mail i got it looks as though its on the same day however iam sure i read somewhere that its later.

What else do you do other than group tasks?

Thanks in advance.

oneroam
10th Sep 2006, 19:58
I believe that you have the interview the same day.

There is only two group exercises and that is it! They decide there and then who they want to interview for a position.

Got no tips for you guys, but maybe one thing, take control of the drawing and also be a speaker when presenting it and don't be nervous like I was which I think let me down however been flying for 10 years!!!! Also ask a few questions when the manager of something ask for questions but don't go over the top with questions.
If I remember correctly 'girls' who have blonde hair got through, well they did in my day!!!
Also they go on personal appearance, ie weight, facial looks ie people wearing glasses did not get through!
As I said before it is tough!!!!

Let us know how you get on:O

Mefly
11th Sep 2006, 11:05
It didn't seem to work like that on my day. There were quite a few girls with brown hair that got through so don't panic if you're not blonde! No offence to those who got through but they weren't all particularly good looking so they can't be basing it too much on looks. Also a lot of those that did drawing or presenting didn't get through where as some of the quieter people did. It just goes to show you never know what they are looking for. Just be yourself and hope for the best, there's no point being someone your not.

Good luck

Transition Layer
11th Sep 2006, 13:59
No offence to those who got through but they weren't all particularly good looking so they can't be basing it too much on looks.

Well that's a bit disappointing isn't it! :sad:

TL :ok:

Cait Sith
11th Sep 2006, 14:53
What sort of age range did they go for. guys? (Asking on behalf of a friend!)

EZYJET2006
11th Sep 2006, 15:16
I would have said 18 to 35/40. Mainly mid to late 20's though

Cait Sith
11th Sep 2006, 17:57
Thanks, EJ2006! :)

ozskipper
12th Sep 2006, 12:18
I believe that you have the interview the same day.
Got no tips for you guys, but maybe one thing, take control of the drawing and also be a speaker when presenting it and don't be nervous like I was which I think let me down however been flying for 10 years!!!! Also ask a few questions when the manager of something ask for questions but don't go over the top with questions.
If I remember correctly 'girls' who have blonde hair got through, well they did in my day!!!
Also they go on personal appearance, ie weight, facial looks ie people wearing glasses did not get through!
As I said before it is tough!!!!

Errm, not being rude, but I can absolutely assure you that we do not use looks, glasses or hair colour as a measure for recruitment.

Everything is based on the behaviours you exhibit on the day against your peers. Some people perform better on the day than others, and unfortunately it doesn't matter how good you are in your job, unless we see you perform on the day, we can't put you through!

BTW: When I was employed all those years ago - I wore glasses all through the recruitment process :)