PDA

View Full Version : Okay, That's Impressive..

PLE Always
15th Jul 2006, 16:27
Allo,

Have been follwing STS-121 on NASA TV and came across a few clips of the launch. The podcast clip especially gives some hint of the power unleashed at main engine start. Have a listen, VERY impressive footage.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/podcasting/vodcast_page_regular.html :ok:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/Shuttle_Multimedia_Collection_archive_1.html

Anyone seen a launch in the flesh?

PLE..

Raincheck
15th Jul 2006, 18:17
Saw launch of the space shuttle on Feb 11 2000, I was on the Intracoastal about 15 miles south of the space centre, good clear sky and able to see separation of the boosters quite clearly. Did the obligatory tour of the space centre the following week, well recommended.

Hoots
15th Jul 2006, 19:24
Saw one a few years ago from the space centre, was about 5 miles away. Was a night launch and was very impressive, turned night in to day and the noise was incredible. Well worth going to see.

Aeronut
15th Jul 2006, 22:23
I'll echo that Hoots.

Ok I'm a shuttle junkie - seen 3.

one from within the space centre - STS 43 in 1991
I wrote to NASA claiming RAF credentials and they sent me a car pass, along with the 20 000 others they send out. Great view from around the 4 mile mark if I recall. It was as close as I would like to be apart from being inside it!

The next 2 were summer 1992 and last year's only launch (July). Watched those from Port Caneveral - where they road-block. Great little party!!

They also used to allow a low approach to the landing facility at Kennedy in my Cherokee. Even the day before a launch with the rocket on the pad and the T38 astronaut hacks parked up. Can still hardly believe it myself.

Deltas are good too at night from Cocoa beach.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
15th Jul 2006, 23:58
Not seen one take off, sorry, launch, but have seen two pass overhead (Texas) on the way back in. Something like twelve minutes out I think :eek:

The first was directly overhead at night and the second towards the horizon in daylight. Both phenomenal to see: horizon to horizon in about a minute, leaving a big trail of sparks like a cheesy Flash Gordon film.

I wrote a piece for a 'newsletter' I used to send home and said that the word awesome is bandied around so much it has lost its meaning. It regained it that night.

:ok:

WorkingHard
16th Jul 2006, 09:41
You simply cannot adequately describe the launch that you experience if you are there. Noise, intense light, and ground vibration, all from several miles away. Awesome.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
16th Jul 2006, 10:06
I saw the launch of STS-95, the "John Glenn return to space" flight in October 98.

The number of people who said "It's so quiet!" just after launch had me laughing... and a little while later, the sound and vibration reached us... :ok:

Roadster280
16th Jul 2006, 20:18
I'll echo thse comments. Saw a night launch from Cocoa Beach in 2000. I was a little concerned that maybe Cocoa Beach was too far away before the launch. No need to worry. Night into day, as has been said. Probably the most impressive man-made thing in motion I have ever seen.

The most impressive stationary man made object I've seen though would have to be the Saturn V at Kennedy. That thing is just unbelieveable. 300 feet tall (though it's horizontal for display), 97% by weight fuel. Three guys strapped in at the top, and then they set fire to the bottom of it. Bonkers!!!! But brave as hell. Words fail me for the scale of that program. The VAB where they assembled the rockets was so large that

a) the foundations when they were poured (i.e. wet concrete with steel rebar) made the worlds largest wet cell battery and had a significant charge)
b) the US flag painted on one third of one side of the building is so large that each of the 13 stripes is wide enough to fit a tour bus.

Now that's impressive!

WorkingHard
16th Jul 2006, 20:58
And remember it was all done on the cheapest of 3 tenders!!!!