PDA

View Full Version : Web Layout design

WorkingHard
14th Jul 2006, 21:55
Can any of you people who are far better at web design than me help please?
I have designed some pages for a personal web but do not understand how to organise them. For example there appears to be folders called www and htdocs and imgs etc etc. can anyone give me the correct "tree" so to speak?
Thanks in advance

WeatherJinx
15th Jul 2006, 14:05
Generally, there are no hard and fast rules for this; it's a matter of personal preference. You could quite easily put everything in the same folder. Personally, I prefer to separate images into a folder called, er, images and lump everything else together outside it.

This works fine for simple sites, although it pays to apply a deeper structure to more complex ones (and keep it consistent so you'll always know where everything is).

The only thing you need to ensure is that the index page (index.html/htm/php or whatever, is at the root of the directory. Good luck :ok:

planecrazy.eu
15th Jul 2006, 17:20
Hey, funny enough, they should be the same folder, www is normally a shortcut to htdocs. Well it is on every server i have ever used, so sure it is on all the others. All files you want for public viewing should be in htdocs and make sure the main page is called index. All file cases should be lower as good practice. Index can be index.htm, index.html, index.php, index.asp, index.etc....

There should also be a robots.txt file for search engine use in htdocs as well as a .htaccess file which can be used for url rules, securing folders, password protecting folders and/or files.

The webhosting you are using sounds like its paid for? But in the chance its free and there are banners i have some free space on my server you can have banner free, got 800 or so free megs on my hosting, never going to use them so some one out there might be able to find a "legal" use for them...