PDA

View Full Version : LCY-Stuttgart, back via Zurich to LHR

drichard
14th Jul 2006, 21:00
My company has booked me on this trip next week (with my 1st ever e-ticket). Any tips/hints would be gratefully accepted to make it a bit easier.

Monday, LCY - STR with (Lufthansa or SWISS - depending on which part of the booking you look at :rolleyes:) in class T. I've never flown out of LCY before and was planning on just taking an overnight bag + laptop. Can anyone enlighten me regarding check-in and any security quirks @ LCY (I know LHR is a complete joke - q's and the like) and/or aggage allowances (the confrmation e-mail is pretty scant on important details).

My return is with SWISS to LHR via ZRH ('cos they're too tight to pay for an extra hotel night, it now means I'll expect to get home at about 2am and be back in the office at 8am :sad:), so any hints for this return leg would be helpful - in particular, how long does it generally take to get to the arrivals concourse post landing (~21:15).

I will post my experiences here (for other SLF for reference) upon return.

D.

smallpilot
14th Jul 2006, 22:24
LCY is one of the nicest airports to fly out of. All the check-in, security procedures are done professionally and with minimum fuss. Not sure there is a flight direct to Strasvourg, so you might have to change. It is taylor-made for business travellers so is a million times more pleasant than the LHR zoo. I use it for business to Europe and pleasure to connect to long-haul flights via Frankfurt, Amsterdam etc. T/O is a lot of fun too - full power, hold on the brakes then off like a rocket! Landing is a little firm to say the least! But all in all a good experience.

tom de luxe
17th Jul 2006, 20:21
Not sure there is a flight direct to Strasvourg, so you might have to change.
STR = Stuttgart
LCY is as close to perfection as an airport in London could possibly be.
To start with, it's a very easy and cheap place to get to, th DLR goes there from Bank and there is a very very easy connection with the Jubilee line at Canning town. Unlike Heathrow Express et al., Travelcards are welcome. If you drive, parking costs as much of an arm and a leg as it does elsewhere, but should you feel inclined to use the short stay carpark, they'll park the car for you at no extra price :D
The STR flight is operated by Contact Air, a German regional airline, on an ATR turboprop. Check-in deadline is 20 mins, and there is self check-in available (VLM even operate a 15 mins check-in deadline there). However, you may wish to lave some leeway as the departures hall is relatively small and does get crowded during peak hours - but it's nothing like LHR.
Arrival is even quicker. I've been on the DLR platform 10 (ten) minutes after wheels down, although 20 mins is a safer bet. Luggage is very quick to arrive as well, and it's often on the carrousel as (or just after) you get there yourself. There are three or four passport/immigration desks staffed, which is more than enough to cope with the "masses".
Want more on how geared it is towards businesspeople?
- no fast food outlet
- no games arcade
- professional shoeshine available
- the airport newsagents stocks an impressive selection of business & finance books
- small "Duty Free" with little emphasis on booze
- a "queue marshal" at security who checks your boarding pass - those whose flight is already boarding are directed to the shorter queue.
Mmmmmh... LCY - LUX. My easiest air commute ever :ok:

PAXboy
18th Jul 2006, 10:58
Arriving back at LHR from ZRH will see you into T2. If hand luggage only, it should not be too bad. Of course, the number of arrivals in the same time slots as yourself will affect. I would guesstimate that from Doors Open at the gate, to the train platform should be 20/25 minutes, if moving smartly along and overtaking folks, once up the jetty into the concourse.

Your profile shows you in Essex so tough luck on not getting back to LCY. The fastest is the Heathrow Express into Paddington. It is expensive but they are paying and have stuffed you on the late arrival. From there, it's (probably) the dear old Circle as usual to Liverpool Street.

If you can arrange for anyone to meet you by car - that will speed up things considerably! Time might not permit but, at the start of the trip: Drive to LHR and park up in a mid-term park. Then use Train/Tube back to LCY. It will be a schlep but pay dividends on the return. Unless you want to drink on the way back!!

praa
18th Jul 2006, 14:30
I recently did Munich to LCY via Zürich with Swiss as all the direct flights were overpriced - the World Cup was on. It was even cheaper than Easyjet and a 90 minute layover in Zürich was definitely preferable to 45 min on the Stansted Express. It's quite a pleasant airport to go through. Swiss short haul was quite acceptable: nothing special but preferable to a low cost carrier.
The only hitch was that, though I had a bag of carry on size, they insisted I check it into the hold on the way back as it was too heavy and the flight was full. On the LCY-Zürich route it seems to be a BAe 146 where the storage bins aren't quite as big as on other planes.

drichard
20th Jul 2006, 00:27
:D :ok: :)
Tonight I shall post a full reply with observations that may help other PAX/SLF, however to be going on with ......

I arrrived home ~1hr ago (10hrs travelling time), and would like to say that every person I met, (cc, checkin, security, immigration et. al.) were highly professional and I have absolutely no complaints.

So hats off to those handling or operating on the following flights:
17/Jul LH2725 LCY-STR (Lufthansa, operated by crossair)
19/Jul LX1175 STR-ZRH (Lufthansa, operated by ?Cirrus)
19/Jul LX340 ZRH-LHR (Swiss)

Too often we see complaints and no compliments, please, well done to you all and I would willingly fly with any of you again.
D

Additional comments to help other PAX

Flight notes
17/Jul LH2725 LCY-STR
Light snack (cheese roll), with complementary alcoholic beverages available

19/Jul LX1175 STR-ZRH
I was not aware of even reaching cruising altitude prior to commencing descent (its an up and down flight)
Complementary small chocolate

19/Jul LX340 ZRH-LHR (Swiss)
Light snack (cheese roll), with complementary alcoholic beverages available
Particular mention must go to the CC, in 55 mins, you managed 2x drinks, 1x food, 1x sweet handout, 1x duty-free and a clearup pass through the cabin. I was exhausted just watching you all!!

Airport notes
@LCY
checkin desks are about a 2min WALK from DLR (Docklands light railway), from the train you will encounter one (DOWN) escalator and no ticket barriers.
Security is on the 1st floor, just about where the escalators from the checkin area reach the 1st floor
I was NOT asked to remove laptop from briefcase - everything went through the scanner
It's abouta 60 sec brisk walk from security to the a/c (I was out of gate 4)

@STR
My flight to STR was on an ATR42 - 500, checked baggage was collected from the front of the aircraft (ie on the apron) BEFORE boarding the shuttlebus to the terminal (T1 - about as faraway as possible)
MAJOR building works outside the airport for a new exhibition centre (due to open 2007) means access roads are sometimes being diverted - follow the signs rather than SATNAV
Laptop out for xray

@ZRH
Reminder - this airport is not in europe - it's Switzerland and prices are in local currency (not euros, but that's ok, they acccept them).
Whilst q'ng in (terminal 1) for security, checkout the stylish Camel smoking lounge - you can tell it's not part of the EU
laptop out for xray but instructed to place mobile phone INSIDE carry-on baggage for xray

@LHR - (I arrived in T2, so journey times from there)
Tube station is about 5-7 min brisk walk from customs.
Heathrow express (follow the signs for TRAINS and not UNDERGROUND) is about a further 5 min walk from the underground station, you can get your ticket validated (at full tube fare) to any underground station.

General Comfort
I must say all the flights I took, had load factors of 50-60%, nice big comfy blue leather seats with acres of legroom. I'm 6' and on (scheduled economy) longhaul, my bum barely fits into the cattle-crate seat and my knees are touching the seat infront (BA & VS to name and shame), on all these flights, the seat was about 4" wider than I expected and there was between 6 and 8" clearance between my knees and the seat in front.

Departures Beckham
20th Jul 2006, 22:07
Next time you'll just have to try to get the germanwings service from STN, the service will no doubt be different, but it's a whole lot closer to Colchester!

WHBM
24th Jul 2006, 10:16
The security quirk about LCY is that you can be accepted for check-in less than 15 mins before departure and still be through security and away on time. I don't recommend planning on it like this but I've done it.

I've been on the DLR platform 10 (ten) minutes after wheels downI have actually managed sub-60 seconds from the cabin crew saying "go" to opening the door of a taxi. I don't think there's another airport in Europe that even comes close (you have to arrive at Gate 1 to achieve this ! ).

Final 3 Greens
24th Jul 2006, 10:52
WHBM

At Malta, if traveling in C, with hand luggage and arriving at a stand where one can walk to arrivals, it is only 2/3 mins, including immigration.

Not bad for a big(ger) airport.

tom de luxe
24th Jul 2006, 22:08
I have actually managed sub-60 seconds from the cabin crew saying "go" to opening the door of a taxi. I don't think there's another airport in Europe that even comes close (you have to arrive at Gate 1 to achieve this ! ).
But my 10 mins include taxi in, walk from Gate 3, immigration/customs AND retrieving luggage from the belt (and swiping an oyster card).
FWIW, LUX is not too bad in Terminal B, or in A once the bus has arrived.

WHBM
25th Jul 2006, 08:22
I think we are all agreed that LCY is quick !

A couple of years ago when FlyBe did nonstops from Belfast City to London City a colleague and myself flew from there back to London one day, me on FlyBe and him on a BMI A321 to Heathrow. We made consecutive departures from Belfast, him first, and I was in a Dash 8 prop aircraft that just rolled along straight into LCY. I got out through the terminal, into my car in the car park, and drove the 5-10 minute journey home. As I walked into my living room I phoned him. He was just walking down the pier, not even at baggage claim yet !

drichard
25th Jul 2006, 21:06
Have at last posted my promised observations (see earlier posts)

Note to "Departures Beckham", thanks for the comment regarding Stansted, I was not offered that flight and the Ryanair to Friedrichshafen (my destination was actually Schwenningen, equidistant from FDH and STR)flights were @ bloody awful times.

As all transport to the airport was by public transport, short of chancing being able to get on the shuttle bus to colchester, it's a train from Stansted to London, only to come out again by another train on the adjoining platform?!?!?!?!?

My employer (NHS) does not reimburse taxi fares.

Thanks for everyones help on comments, perhaps we should start a thread giving tips for PAX @ airports round the world? As a starter, can I suggest http://www.travel-library.com/airports/

PAXboy
25th Jul 2006, 21:24
drichardMy employer (NHS) does not reimburse taxi faresEh???!!!! What kind of numpty cost saving is this? If you cannot prove that the journey was neccessary, then I can agree that you should not be reimbursed but a blanket refusal? :rolleyes:

drichard
25th Jul 2006, 21:41
Apologies - forgot to include - "in extremis"

Taxi to Colchester ~£40, train to Colchester £26.50, bus, £10

(saving 2hrs travelling and getting more work done is not considered good reason)