PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Sharing lost!

Ant
14th Jul 2006, 18:20
Been working myself up with this one for some time now!
Following a disastrous attempt at resizing a partition on our spare Win98 SE machine, had to do a full re-install of the OS.

I'e re-established full connectivity (main machine running Windows XP home, and client machine running Win98 SE have full file & printer sharing), EXCEPT that the Win98 machine can no longer connect to the internet. I've tried 2 different Proxy servers with 2 different port numbers on the host machine and even tried going 'bareback' (firewall on main machine to OFF), and have run the XP Network Wizard on both ad nauseam all to no avail.

Here's a couple of oddities, or red herrings to consider:

With host machine's firewall OFF, client machine can successfully ping any www address even with host machine Proxy Server switched off (wtf!?!), but no proper internet connectivity, and
with firewall ON client machine can ping host machine and nothing else, reporting 'unknown host'.

Client machine's 'network neighbourhood properties' shows the following components installed:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Network card adapter
TCP/IP
File & printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.

I regret that a visit to the off-licence for several cans of something cold and wet is imminent!

Saab Dastard
14th Jul 2006, 18:54
I don't use ICS myself, so I can't give you any help other than point to the MS ICS troubleshooting page (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308006/EN-US/). There are many more articles on the MS website that could help.

Client machine's 'network neighbourhood properties' shows the following components installed:
Client for Microsoft Networks
Network card adapter
TCP/IP
File & printer sharing for Microsoft Networks.

That looks correct.

With host machine's firewall OFF, client machine can successfully ping any www address even with host machine Proxy Server switched off (wtf!?!), but no proper internet connectivity

That is also as it should be - ping uses ICMP, and is a seperate protocol to http. Ping does not use the proxy server setting in IE.

SD