PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk or Virus Problem?

seacue
14th Jul 2006, 12:58
I have had a problem on my HP Pavilion ZE4600 lsptop for about a week. The machine is about 2 years old. SOME operations become very slow with a LOT of disk activity after a while. Acts like heat buildup but the fan cycles. The CPU reports normal operating speeds and I don't see odd things in the Process Monitor.

Each time I start I get a message that
----------------
SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: <disk type>
1720 - At least one driver attribute has exce3eded the manufacturer's threshold, please run Drive Self Test in ROM Setup.
Press F1 to continue.
----------------

I do not find "ROM Setiup" and the BIOS setup is minimal.

I have looked at the S.M.A.R.T. disk monitor web site and then searched for the Registry Key and execuable it says would be on my machine. I can't find them.

I suspect a virus, but Norton doesn't find one. It seemed to start when I asked Firefox to use a different bookmark befoe it had located an earlier site. But that might just be coincidence.

Should I load and run AVG as well? (ie: two virus scanners on the machine at the same time)

Google has not been my friend in looking for more info.

Befuddled in the USA

asuweb
14th Jul 2006, 14:09
Should I load and run AVG as well? (ie: two virus scanners on the machine at the same time)

No, this will likely cause conflict and is not recommended. If you haven't got a spyware remover, I would install one and see what it finds. Spyware is a common cause for computer slowdown, and excessive hard disk activity.

seacue
14th Jul 2006, 14:15
I run AdAware and Spybot S&D frequently. Nothing revealed. I also have the Microsoft Defender beta running.

seacue

Saab Dastard
14th Jul 2006, 14:41
SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: <disk type>
1720 - At least one driver attribute has exceeded the manufacturer's threshold.

I have extensive experience with Compaq / HP desktop & server hardware - this looks like a legitimate warning that your hard disk is accumulating read / write errors - possibly mapping out an excessive number of bad blocks.

I would back up your data ASAP and prepare to replace the HDD.

Having said that, there is a RomPaq for your laptop here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=228&product=385187&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-19695-1) that addresses hard disk system errors - might be worth installing first.

I'm surprised that you don't have the Drive self-test utility - certainly my experience is that HP / Compaq used to be good at supplying comprehensive BIOS utilities, even if they used to be on a hidden partition on older Compaq PCs.

Have a look here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00480479&product=385187&dlc=en&lang=en) for instructions to access and run the drive self-test.

SD

seacue
14th Jul 2006, 17:09
Thanks Mr. Dastard.
I backed all my stuff up on an external HD as soon as the message started appearing. Now to follow your instructions.

sc

Editied to add that I followed the HP instructions about holding down F10 but the machine starts Windows normally. F10 has no effect.

Saab Dastard
14th Jul 2006, 18:21
I find that starting up the PC while holding down a raft of keys often forces a keyboard error and I can get into the setup / BIOS that way. Does no harm, and is handy if you can't remember the correct key / combination!

Did you get a CD or diskette with the laptop? The tools might be on that.

Also, have you re-partitioned the HDD since you got it?
Approximately 20 MB of the Hard disk is allocated to diagnostic software. This space is unavailable for other uses, and not included in hard disk capacity reported by
Windows.

If the disk has been re-partitioned, it is possible that this has been deleted, so f10 has no effect. It should be possible to run the same diags by booting off a floppy or CD with the diags installed - you may be able to get them from the HP website.

You could also try the HP web-based diagnostic tools here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&dlc=en&product=385187&docname=c00372177#c00372177_hardware).

I suggest that you search the HP website to see if you can find further information and support.

SD

seacue
14th Jul 2006, 19:20
I haven't played games with the HD. The computer came with both an operating system installation/repair disk and a disk of drivers. It looks as though maybe I should update the BIOS, which I have never done. The HP site lists around 6 BIOS versions - I remain befuddled. BTW, mine is an AMD version, not Intel, but the "1720 error" hints on the HP site are the same.

Ah well. At least the 1720 message doesn't say "IMMINENT FAILURE WARNING", it just alerts that some of the parameters seem wrong.

I'll try a chat session with their support later.

Thanks for your interest and help. It has pointed me in the correct direction.

seacue

seacue
15th Jul 2006, 02:37
Update: Another place in the HP Help pages told me I could get to the HD test through pressing Escape at bootup, NOT F10.

The Drive Self Test report error #7.

I later downloaded the latest Support software fot [Start->Help & Support]. It's HD test reports error #5 with dire warnings about failure.

A chat w/ HP support comes next.

seacue
-------------------
Edited to add: I see that Mssrs HP want about 2/3-rds the price of a new laptop just for a replacement HD. More research needed before going their route.
-------------------
Edited again to add that the HD seems to have met its end..... Bye.....
-------------------
Edited yet again on Sunday to say the executing CHKDSK brings the machine back to life. Don't know for how long.

sc