PDA

View Full Version : Northern European Aviation Resources??????

Ballistic
13th Jul 2006, 20:08
Hello People,

I've been looking into flight training schools to do my ATPL. I have no previous flying experience. As far as I understand, there are only 4 approved flight schools according to the CAA for the Integrated courses. All charging an arm and a leg.

While browsing I came across the Northen European Aviation Resources. A company which offers a fATPL. Does anyone have any information about this school or the course? Which schools do employers have a preference towards? Since a job in the end is the long term goal.

I looked in the nordic forum but their opinion is bias toward Scandinavians. I want a perspective from someone who has been there from the UK. I want to know the Job prospect at the end of such a course.

I hope someone can help me out.

Seagull61
14th Jul 2006, 05:26
Ballistic.

Can`t say i`ve been there. But I have been in contact with them for the last few months, discussing modular and Integrated options. Their response has been very welcoming and I`ve gotten all the info I needed and promptly too, so from that perspective I`ve been very impressed.

Their website looks good too and the option to work as a FI whilst in the states seems to be mean some studes coming back with more then 1500hrs! Although they do badge it as a 3 year course.

Price isn`t too bad either considering it`s Norway!

Ballistic
14th Jul 2006, 12:13
Seagull61,

Thanks for the info. I've emailed them a couple of days ago but haven't heard back from them as yet. I was hoping that you may be able to answer a few questions that I sent them. They are:

How many cadets do they take on annually?
How many get employment independently within the 1st year of completion of course?
How long does the whole application process take?
Do they have statistics over the last 5 years on the number of students each year and the percentage pass rate as well as numbers gaining employment as airline pilots and where? If so could I get a copy?
Do they assist in students getting a loan to fund the programme?They mention on several occasions that the course is approved by the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority. Does that mean that it is not approved by the CAA in the UK? What about the FAA?

Also, they say that during months 24-36 you return to Norway to complete the course. But, they only provide accommodation for 6 weeks. How does that equate? Do you pay for yourself the other months?

If you have any other info please pass it along.

Thanks a lot!

captwannabe
15th Jul 2006, 11:58
Have you got a link to their website?

Cheers :ok:

Ballistic
15th Jul 2006, 13:10
Captwannabe,

The address to the site is:
http://www.nearas.no/default.asp?menu=19

I couldn't get all the information I wanted. Let me know if you find out anything and are able to answer my questions.

Holliwood
15th Jul 2006, 15:31
Hi mate!
I'm in touch regulary with them and in august i'll have my admission test!

i found them great and also i had problems to have contacts with them, but after i sent them a Fax all changed!

i can't tell you the statistics of the school but in past months under the news you was able to see guys emplyed here and there!

Fabio

Holliwood
15th Jul 2006, 15:44
Hi all!

Soon i'll have an admission test for NEAR (www.near-as.no (http://www.near-as.no)) and they talk about a simple math test.(talking with them they say it will be a very easy test covering more or less the 1 college year)

What do you suggest to review?

Fabio

captwannabe
15th Jul 2006, 17:08
Cheers lads! Let us know how you get on Holliwood.

Good luck :ok:

planecrazy.eu
15th Jul 2006, 17:34
Hey, after taking one of these tests i can say it was at GCSE Level, which is 15-16 Year Old Level as i dont know what you call this level in Italy?

The test covered a wide selection of maths, but in most cases they was pretty simple in terms of working out, as long as you knew the formulas for different maths problems.

Properties of Integers
Fractions
Decimals
Real Numbers
Ratio and Proportion
Percents
Powers and Roots of Numbers
Descriptive Statistics
Sets
Counting Methods
Discrete Probability
Variables and Algebraic Expressions
Manipulating Algebraic Expressions
Equations
Solving Linear Equations with One Unknown
Solving Two Linear Equations with Two Unknowns
Solving Equations by Factoring
Solving Quadratic Equations
Exponents
Inequalities
Absolute Value
Functions
Lines and angles
Polygons
Triangles
Quadrilaterals
Circles
Rectangular solids and cylinders
Coordinate geometryand there was also the usual word problems, like if a car travels at x speed for n time and then speeds up to x1 for n1 minutes, how far has the car gone?

Just an example, there aviation related but all was relative to calculating distance or arrival times and i think there was an speed one too. All pretty basic, especially compared to the math in thr ATPL that i have been looking at...

BEagle
15th Jul 2006, 17:43
What? No trigonometry or basic calculus?

Is digi-yoof really so dim these days?

Holliwood
15th Jul 2006, 22:18
Thank you!:ok:

Holliwood
15th Jul 2006, 22:20
woow!

The guy from the school told not to worry about cause it was really simple...but what i can see is not so simple!

his words were: "ahh don't worry very easy maths (+- etc etc) almost the 1 college year!"

Fabio

planecrazy.eu
16th Jul 2006, 00:17
Ok, i think i have missed a few out :O The ones you mentioned, sorry typed it in a rush and forgot the obvious, there was trig, but i would class trig as triangles as thats the section i studdied trig in when i was preping.

Its as simple as you make it, i didnt think it was hard as it involved very little working out as the figures was easy to work with. But i guess this will change depending on what place you go to take it. Its al covered in GCSE Maths so i guess its classed as pretty easy...

Icerman
16th Jul 2006, 16:28
I think the 1500h are on your reposibility to gain in the US as a flight instructor - you also have to find a place that will employ you.

Here's two websites of chaps have trained with them. Lars (at least used to have) a lot of information about NAIA / NEAR on him website - go and find if it is still there.

http://www.larssletten.net
http://www.oppvask.com

Cheers,
Icer

Holliwood
16th Jul 2006, 20:38
well sounds strange for me see integral, absolut and something like that!

It's harder than my admission test in airforce...strange!:confused:

Holliwood
16th Jul 2006, 20:44
uhmm all in norwegian??!

captwannabe
16th Jul 2006, 20:51
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=80869&highlight=North+European+Resources

Found a NEAR thread in the Nordic Forums. It hasn't been used in a while though.

RITZER82
17th Jul 2006, 02:06
What level of GCSE maths are we talking about, Foundation, Intermediate, Higher level?

Ballistic
18th Jul 2006, 19:55
Sorry People,

I think that this thread has gone of track. I'm looking at more information related to the course and whether it's a reputable place. I still haven't had a response from them in regards to my questions so if anyone can answer them it would be appreciated.

bfisk
20th Jul 2006, 16:43
I am currently enrolled in the near fATPL programme. The admission tests are a breeze. Brush up on fractions, basically, and be a bit clever, and the rest will work out nicely.

Ballistic
24th Jul 2006, 19:22
bfisk,

Can you tell me a bit more about the tests. I understand that there are tests on english, motivation, numeracy,etc. What are all the tests like and what do they comprise of?

Do you think that the programme is run well? What are the instructors like? Is the ground school training any good? What is the employment prospect like in the end?