PDA

View Full Version : BEIRUT Airport

Farrell
13th Jul 2006, 06:01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5175160.stm

planeenglish
13th Jul 2006, 06:31
:suspect:
I posted the first thread. I did so to let people know what was happening thinking it would generate talk about the industry upon which this forum is based. Contributors thought of it differently.

Perhaps if we discuss the aviation industry relevance it can stay on this forum.

PE

BRISTOLRE
13th Jul 2006, 08:26
I consider it Big news.
Any aircraft at BEY stranded and unable to get out? TV footage from the BBC showed what looked like a demic TMA B707F in the background.

tofster
13th Jul 2006, 08:30
Are Bmed still operating to BEY?

anartificialhorizon
13th Jul 2006, 08:34
The whole issues raises concerns not just throughout the middle east but for the whole globe with implications for travel to the Middle East without doubt.

Anyone know of any stranded aircraft? Do BMed overnight there ?

Awaiting a ramp up in the United States alert status any day now.......:rolleyes:

BRISTOLRE
13th Jul 2006, 08:40
Tofster, thats what I was thinking with their A321s from LHR. I am sure that they do still have it in their schedule.

reverserunlocked
13th Jul 2006, 08:48
I was planning on a trip to BEY in Sept to visit an old mate who works on an English radio station there. Might reconsider now which is a great pity as I love Beirut, definitely one of the most fascinating places in the Middle East.

Looks pretty grim, CNN reporting all three runways hit, so it may be some time before anything gets out of there which is worrying in a country with pretty much only one airport.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4079/1152781281h6quvo5fs.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Most European flights from BEY depart in the small hours, but off the top of my head the morning Royal Jordanian and Cyprus Airways flight might be stuck in there. I'd imagine the Israelis chose their moment carefully so as not to upset the Western carriers too much.

EDIT: Latest reports are that not all runways hit and the MEA fleet is to be relocated to Larnaca for now.

'Lebanon's Rafik Hariri International Airport is closed after the Israeli air force attacked the facility and damaged its runways, the director general of civil aviation said.

``We are currently assessing the damage to see when we can reopen the airport,'' Hamdi Shawk said today in a telephone interview from Beirut. No one was hurt in the attack, he said.

Israeli's military is attacking targets across Lebanon after forces from the Shiite Muslim group Hezbollah crossed the border into the north of Israel yesterday, starting clashes that led to the death of eight Israeli soldiers and the capture of two others. Israel's government said Beirut airport is being used to transfer Hezbollah arms.

``There is no truth to Israeli claims'' the airport is used to smuggle weapons, Hezbollah spokesman Hussain Nabulsi said in a telephone interview from Beirut.

Emirates, the biggest Arab airline, British Airways, Lufthansa and other carriers diverted flights and canceled others till further notice. Middle East Airlines, Lebanon's national carrier, said it sent more than half its fleet to Cyprus as a ``precautionary measure'' before the Israeli strike.

MEA, as the carrier is also known, sent six of its nine aircraft to Cyprus late yesterday, Nizar Khoury, the head of the airline's commercial department, said in a telephone interview from Beirut. Two returned this morning minutes before the Israeli attack, Khoury said.

No planes were damaged in the attack, Khoury said.

Canceling Flights

``Due to ongoing military operations'' in Lebanon, Emirates flights between Dubai, U.A.E., and Beirut today and tomorrow have been canceled, the Dubai-based airline said in e-mailed answers to questions.

Emirates operates 13 flights to Beirut a week from its hub in Dubai. Transit passengers traveling to the Lebanese capital will be put up in Dubai hotels, the carrier said.

Ian Ferguson-Brown, a spokesman for Etihad Airways, said Etihad's daily flights between its Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. and Beirut are ``canceled until further notice in light of the security situation there.''

British Airways Plc, Europe's third-largest airline, flies a daily London Heathrow to Beirut route operated by a franchise partner, British Mediterranean Airways. The route has been suspended until further notice.

`Incredible Route'

``Beirut has been an incredible route for us,'' said British Mediterranean spokeswoman Alex McHaines in a telephone interview today. ``It was our company launch route, we've flown it for 11 years and in the summer months it is almost full.''

British Mediterranean's plane, a 149-seat Airbus SAS A321 in British Airways livery, had left Beirut airport before the attack by Israel's air force, McHaines said.

``Our flights to Beirut are being diverted to Alexandria in Egypt. Beirut is important for businessmen and we may be able to get them there via other Middle Eastern destinations,'' McHaines added. ``We don't know if it'll take days or weeks to repair the runway.''

McHaines declined to comment on Israeli claims Beirut airport is used as a supply route for Lebanon's armed Islamic group Hezbollah.

``We don't know yet what kind of escalation could come today or through the night,'' Thomas Jachnow, Deutsche Lufthansa AG spokesman in Frankfurt said. ``Security is obviously our top priority, so we'll remain in close contact with the authorities as the situation develops.''

Refunding Tickets

The airline hasn't decided whether to cancel its 9:25 a.m. flight from Frankfurt tomorrow, he said. The German airline has three flights a week between Frankfurt and Beirut.

Russia's OAO Aeroflot canceled a flight today to Beirut and passengers can exchange tickets or refund them without penalty, the airline said in an e-mailed statement.

``Our flight made it back from Beirut this morning without problems, so we're assessing the situation and haven't yet decided if we'll fly there tonight,'' Johann Jurceka, spokesman for Austrian Airlines Group in Vienna, said.

Austrian Airlines operates six roundtrip flights a week, every day except Tuesday, with a 150-seat Airbus A320 that leaves Beirut at 4:05 a.m. and leaves Vienna at 11:10 p.m.

lexxity
13th Jul 2006, 11:18
Emirates operates 13 flights to Beirut a week from its hub in Dubai. Transit passengers traveling to the Lebanese capital will be put up in Dubai hotels, the carrier said.

Just out of intrest who covers the cost of HOTAC in this case? Would the airline have special insurance?

tofster
13th Jul 2006, 12:04
The only reason I mentioned bmed was because I was hostie for them for a couple of years. I have tried to get in contact with some former flying friends there but have heard little back. I just wanted to make sure no friends were in BEY right now. Of course my sympathies go out to all of those concerned.

Fargoo
13th Jul 2006, 12:37
BMED report all their aircraft were away from Beirut at the time and that all their staff in Beirut are safe and well.

Fargoo :ok:

Longtimer
13th Jul 2006, 13:56
Just out of intrest who covers the cost of HOTAC in this case? Would the airline have special insurance?

I believe the passengers would be on their own as airline tariffs rule out any compensation for events caused by War, Civil unrest, Riot etc.

However I guess the real answer is that it would depend upon the good will / policies of the airlines involved.

Of a greater concern is will this be the match that ignites the Middle east as a whole?

click
13th Jul 2006, 15:13
Well, after about 8 months I finally had a BEY last night. The aircraft came in late from AMS and we departed PRG almost an hour late. This meant that my departure from BEY was about 50 minutes late, just at the crack of dawn. My wife woke up to the news on CNN shortly after I arrived at PRG, not knowing anything I was quite surprised to get a panic phone call from her.........so, in line with that I think I'll go out and buy a lottery ticket...Cheers, from one happy camper in the east bloc:) .

armada
13th Jul 2006, 17:52
Gents, I would keep this a discussion about airport operations only, lest it deteriorate into a political debate. See: Jet Blast forum! :ouch:

con-pilot
13th Jul 2006, 18:49
Are any of the taxiways long enough to allow any departures? I realize that most taxiways are not stressed for landing, however, they can be used for takeoff if undamaged and long enough.

If the taxiways could be used for takeoffs at least the stranded aircraft could be evacuated.

misd-agin
13th Jul 2006, 19:38
Taxiway's would be more than long enough to allow an empty a/c, with a light fuel load, to takeoff from.

They only need enough fuel to fly to the nearest major airport where they could refuel. How far's Tel Aviv? :ooh:

fractional
13th Jul 2006, 20:18
The whole Lebanese airspace is under Israeli survailance. Any aircraft flying in or out of BEY will be considered a target. Certainly, NO professional pilots will do it anyway and definitely NOT to TLV...

Flying Microphone
14th Jul 2006, 08:54
Taxiway's would be more than long enough to allow an empty a/c, with a light fuel load, to takeoff from.

They only need enough fuel to fly to the nearest major airport where they could refuel. How far's Tel Aviv? :ooh:

Beirut to Tel Aviv in the current (or indeed any normal) situation... really?

Larnaca would probably be a better bet for anything given diplomatic/Israeli military approval for a minimum fuel departure.

Terrible news... used to fly across from RAF Akrotiri to Beirut for regular weekend fixes whilst working for BFBS in Cyprus. Nothing like being met by a bloke with a gun who took you through customs etc!

Great place to visit and here's hoping for a safe outcome for all concerned.

apaddyinuk
14th Jul 2006, 12:49
Apparently MEA have managed to fly 5 of their aircraft out to safe keeping in Larnaca!!!
Bmed crew were safely driven to Damascus and flown home from there.
Air France crew still stuck in Beirut I believe.

Onions
14th Jul 2006, 14:31
What about aircraft? Are there many stuck there on the ground?

If so whose are they? There was a picture on the front of the Telegraph this morning with a 737 in the foreground but couldnt see whose it was.

HZ123
14th Jul 2006, 14:45
Is there an A321 of BMED or did it get out? The only footage I have seen appears to show the runway damaged at both ends surely if this is the case ? Surely you destroy the runway in the middle?

ALLDAYDELI
14th Jul 2006, 15:29
Aircraft took off empty for LCA from the wider taxiway due to runway holes.
The B732 belongs to a CIS carrier.
I have heard rumour this morning that some MEA aircraft have ferried into AMM for safe storage. Bear in mind the A330 are F- regd.

Dash-7 lover
14th Jul 2006, 16:15
Fractional.....

Any carrier would prob try and do the samething in this situation. I wouldn't even question the professionalism of the MEA pilots as I think it was quite a feat to get the aircraft out and as ALLDAYDELI pointed out the aircraft are French registered so to destroy them would be an act of aggression against France. Don't you think it would be one of the first things the opposing force would aim for? It wouldn't surprise me if their were some top level behind the scenes negotiations between the French and Israeli governments to allow the aircraft to depart and for the airforce to turn a 'blind eye'' . If the aircraft were Labanese registered then im sure the story would be totally different...

Sensible Garage
14th Jul 2006, 20:52
KLM crew was slipping in Larnaca and have been flown home

TV footage showed private Lockheed Jetstar bizjet departing as well besides MEA a/c

Fox3snapshot
14th Jul 2006, 21:54
Ladies and Gentlemen....

Firstly it is important that I declare my utmost concern and condolences for all concerned in what can only be described as another modern tragedy....Shakespeare had no idea!

The fact is, and this I know....any foreign/Middle East operator was warned of impeding attacks and most importantly of any subsequent attacks so as to ensure they didn't clobber any foreign/M.E assets.

:suspect:

Dash-7 lover
14th Jul 2006, 22:07
Apparently 4 A321's and 1 A330 have escaped to Larnaca and the other A321 in AMM - not sure about Menajets A320 or the Kurdistan 732 you can see parked up in the news footage....

Fox3snapshot
14th Jul 2006, 22:25
They won't be touched, and the window to get the other jets out would have been dictated. A very orchestrated and unfortunately premiditated situation.

I hope everyone comes to their senses soon and dialogue is opened between the respective parties to stop any further unnecessary loss.

:uhoh:

Sensible Garage
15th Jul 2006, 14:41
Austrian Learjet escaped to Nice last night so the field is indeed not completely closed

TAG G200 + crew still stuck

some groups and persons have made their way over land to Syria, eventually flying out via Damascus and Aleppo

3 RAF Chinooks tankstopping in Nice Saturday, departing east (selfdeploying to RAF Akrotiri for upcoming evacuation?)

Ray Darr
17th Jul 2006, 08:38
Aircraft took off empty for LCA from the wider taxiway due to runway holes... ...the A330 are F- regd.

A number of MEA's narrow-body Airbus birds are "F" registered, also. It cracked me up every time seeing their registrations...all "CHEESE" based! The -321's all have something like "F-ORMG" and "F-ORMJ" etc. It read funny, in a "HAHAHA!" cheesy kinda way. :)

Is there any word on damage to the terminal itself? BEY has one of the nicest Duty-Free's anywhere (albeit small) for buying those awesome sweet treat-snackie-thingies (aka Lebanese Sweets...not to mention the sweetest eye-candy attendants behind the counter...). :ok:

Condolences to everyone caught up in this mess. Pray it doesn't spiral.

~ R.D.

BUSHJEPPY
18th Jul 2006, 09:08
Hi folks,

Anybody with info on current airport status in Lebanon (usable length, undamaged taxiways etc)?

Brgds,

Sensible Garage
18th Jul 2006, 10:36
strangly enough no mention of anything in NOTAMs

BUSHJEPPY
18th Jul 2006, 11:50
From the US Notam office:

OLBA RAFIC HARIRI INTL [Back to Top]

A0177/06 - AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SERVICE , FLIGHT INFORMATION SERVICE AND ARE ALERTING ARE NOT PROVIDED WITHIN BEIRUT AIRSPACE 14 JUL 12:54 UNTIL 19 JUL 12:00

A0176/06 - RAFIC HARIRI INT'L AIRPORT CLOSED DUE DAMAGE AFFECTING ALL RUNWAYS ( 16/34,17/35 AND 21/03 )AND TWYS AS A RESULT OF AIRRAID. 14 JUL 10:00 UNTIL 19 JUL 12:00

Sensible Garage
22nd Jul 2006, 06:55
check

OLBA A0178/06 RAFIC HARIRI INT'L AIRPORT CLOSED DUE TO BOMBING
DAMAGE AFFECTING RUNWAYS 16/34 17/35 AND 21/03 AND TWYS 20 JUL
18:30 UNTIL 31 JUL 23:59

mini
24th Jul 2006, 00:14
Fox3, your comments are either incredibly naive or impeccibly sourced... it would be good if you could hint as to which... :suspect:

BUSHJEPPY
26th Jul 2006, 13:14
It seems that the Royal Jordanian Air Force landed a C-130 hercules this morning. Anybody with first hand info on the runways conditions?

HZMIS
26th Jul 2006, 13:26
is this because the jordanian air force is the only air force with a bit of bottle, this time though i believe lebanon will make the world even more turbulant unless we deal with the problem now.

anyway what other a/c are still left at lebanon.

all the best

myrtleman
27th Jul 2006, 10:01
I was surprised to see a couple of days back a MEA flying out of LHR bound for Damascus, Syria. Clearly this must be the base for MEA during this period of war.

MM

WHBM
27th Jul 2006, 10:46
There's a new timetable on the MEA website (as a single-page Excel spreadsheet !) which shows services from Damascus to major western European and Gulf destinations, and which seems to require a minimum of 4 operational aircraft.

Back in the 1980s when Beirut was attacked they moved their ops to Larnaca instead, in a comparable fashion.