View Full Version : BEY runways bombed

bugs bunny
13th Jul 2006, 04:45
latest news on cnn website
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/13/mideast/index.html
Bugs

ShockWave
13th Jul 2006, 05:37
Full report also posted in Rumours n news.

No news on cancellations or special proceedures posted from EK management as yet. Not surprizing as it's the weekend! :ugh:

Bombing Beirut certainly makes it a war zone. Are we still operating there?
Does the amazing security dept have any plans or are they Happy that there is no threat to our safety?
Don't think I'll be turning up for a Bey flight in the near future.:(

Panama Jack
13th Jul 2006, 09:17
Oh great, here we go again.

Let me see, according to what I read on BBC.com, Israeli ships have entered Lebanese waters to block ports, and the country's only international airport is closed after Israeli air strikes on Thursday.

Overnight air raids on targets across southern Lebanon left 27 people dead.

And all of this is because . . . Hizbollah guerillas have captured two Israeli soldiers? Talk about a rogue state! :hmm:

BBC Article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5175160.stm)

13th Jul 2006, 09:24
They were looking for a good excuse to start the clean up..now they have it.
Syria and Iran are next on the line:ugh:

Dixons Cider
13th Jul 2006, 09:51
They were looking for a good excuse to start the clean up

A good excuse??? The capture of 2 grunts is a good excuse?? :(

Now lets see what the great western leaders have to say - I aint holding my breath...

145qrh
13th Jul 2006, 10:09
Any excuse is a good one when the fu**wits are in control...:ugh:

ShockWave
13th Jul 2006, 10:26
It's amazing to think that a nation founded on the precepts of anti-discrimination and avoidance of persecution should think that they have a right to act in this way.
I suppose it is the middle east and all the lessons that the western world learnt from the atrocities and persecutions in ww2 don't apply.:ugh:
Blooody nutters!
I have nothing against any of them. Just find it hard to see where it will end and why it can't be reolved differently.

Wytnucls
13th Jul 2006, 11:11
The killing and abduction of soldiers on a sovereign country's soil by a militia controlled by government ministers of a neighbouring country would be seen as an act of war by any responsible democratic government, anywhere in the world.

Fat Clemenza
13th Jul 2006, 11:34
3 Soldiers captured ... with no threats of killing them, the abductor's demands?: To free civilians and especially women and children from Israeli prisons.

Response?

Deal Rejected
6 Ministers and MP's captured
over 50 civilians killed, dozens arrested
Water stations, electic plant Government buildings : Destroyed
State soveregnty violated, ports blocked... unofficial declaration of war

Now who's being a threat to the region?

Makes you wonder how worse it could be

Wytnucls
13th Jul 2006, 11:35
Give me a break Wytnucls!!!! Is this a proportionate response? And what is that responsible democratic government doing in Palestine??
Try and see the big picture and you'll change your mind.
Whether this is a proportional response, can be debated ad eternam.
The situation in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip, is a separate matter.

Ghostflyer
13th Jul 2006, 13:17
Sadly, the people have inadvertently put power in the hands of 2 terrorist organisations. The statement from Hezbollah that 'they have no intention of escalation' is beyond belief. They (and the Syrians) knew exactly what would hapen but they were happy to use the people of the Lebanon and Gaza strip as pawns in their own little power plays. Any organisation that refuses to accept a nations right to exist cannot be surprised if that nation finds it unnaceptable to negotiate with them.

I have now seen both sides of the arguement and my opinions have wavered in both directions. I choose to support neither side but find myself exasperated at some of the organisations that are prepared to use the average joe in the street as cannon fodder to support unwinnable crusades.

Glorified Donkey
13th Jul 2006, 13:31
Now I can see why Iran wants Israel moved to Alaska :E

Fat Clemenza
13th Jul 2006, 13:37
I wonder how long can a country last while being on the defensive side with so many people asking for its destruction.

My thoughts go the innocent civilians

salamalikum2
13th Jul 2006, 14:03
when you have a country like Israel with on one side Hamas who refused to recognised Israel and on the North Border Hesbollah troups who has been there for ages, support by iran who´s president want to see Israel wipe out of the map, i can understand the over-reaction of israel today.....

Herbsnspices
13th Jul 2006, 14:46
With the hightest concentration of human beings in any confined area, the Gaza strip is the largest present day ghetto in the world, with all the trimmings of restrictive rules and policies imposed by the Israelis as was done onto them in Warsaw, Frankfurt etc... during and before WW2.

Today Israelis are imposing these restrictions on the Palestinians, the same whose lands have been taken away year by year, war by war; yet you would think that Jews who have experienced the same would know from history not to allow it to repeat itself.

But what we hear and see is oblivious to history and the rethoric of the holocaust is now starting to wear thin, for with this ongoing parody of ethics and humanity, the credibility for the "rasion d'etre" of the state of Israel is beginning to wane and the resorting to violence in both the politcal and miltiary sense is purposefully proof of this.

How long will this go on? is the question and the longer it carries on the more the west will subject itself to the wrath of millions of Muslims and Arabs the world over and anyone today who has any common sense.

Today Beirut, tomorrow where else, Israel is the rogue state in the region and despite the leading the way, it has now fallen to rank amongst the likes of Syria and Yemen.

It is time this problem is taken for its true value and addressed via the proper means and not these farcical road maps that lead to no where but further conflilct.

Panama Jack
13th Jul 2006, 15:39
The way I see it, like with rival inner-city gangs, this is a battle between two different terrorist groups, namely Hezbollah and Israel, with civilians who happen to habitate the ground these tiffs are settled on as spectators and more often than not, the greatest "casualties".

While Hezbollah may be involved in Lebanese politics and may have a political wing, it is as absurd as holding all of the US population responsible for the actions of the radical Christian-right wing of the Republican Party.

27 Lebanese civilian deaths is a proportionate response for 2 military members being held hostage?!?!? Wow, the exchange rate must be worse than I thought!

While much hand wringing goes on about Iran (and I agree with some of it, by the way), to mention Isreal is talk about a rogue state, with weapons of mass destruction that routinely threatens it's neighbors. But in the trite political view of the US-- "but at least they are OUR sons-of-a-bitch"

ShockWave
13th Jul 2006, 17:27
Keep in mind recent Gulf event and look further down the track
G.Bush supports the current actions by Israel, which ties in nicely with the remaining axis of evil (and all it's oil). Prove a few links of Iranian support for Hezbollah and their obvious uraniam enrichment activities across the pond and off we go again (GW3).

puff m'call
13th Jul 2006, 17:33
Ye Ha, more new technology to watch. :ok:

Muttley Crew
13th Jul 2006, 17:52
A lot of very predictable diatribe here... what's it got to do with aviation? Why not take it down the street to Jetblast...:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, how about a little info on the state of the various runways at OLBA? :eek:

Will we get extra call-out pay if we agree to fly in or just the usual rate...:{

Will all the "eastern med" types amongst the cabin crew be ditching their trolleys and running off to help the motherland?? :D And if so, who will buy drinks for all the slappers on layovers? :hmm:

145qrh
13th Jul 2006, 20:29
Now, now Muttley..These "eastern med" types as you call them are amongst the bravest and most dedicated erm ,um, bunch of ,well,how would you say, or put another way..God help the Israelis if he lebos rebel, the Israeli women that is...."the stars have fallen from heaven into your eyes habibi, buy me another, while I tell of the bravery I show with my perfume trolley:} :} :} "

filejw
13th Jul 2006, 21:31
Fat, As long as the Arab governments really don't want to fight.If all the Arabs plus Iran and Pakistan got together I'm not sure how long Israel would last.

Sztoggy
13th Jul 2006, 21:42
Who said that Hizbollah killed and abducted Israelian troops in Israel ?
AFAIK, yesterday killed israelian soldiers died when driving over a mine with their tank, in lebanese territory. How do U think Israel would call two captured lebanese milicians ? Hostages or prisonners ?
How many attacks were performed by hizbollah over Israel since Israelians left the occupied south of Lebanon ?

Gnadenburg
14th Jul 2006, 00:46
Fat, As long as the Arab governments really don't want to fight.If all the Arabs plus Iran and Pakistan got together I'm not sure how long Israel would last.

Despite the fact that Arabs are generally best at killing each other, I would suggest survival is somewhat assured with an inventory of nuclear weapons.

Herbsnspices
14th Jul 2006, 01:38
Oh Mutley Crew, how reverent it is of you to speak of the rest of your crew that looks after the self loading freight!

I wouldn't expect a statement as yours, coming from a coal miner, but there you are, you've got all the lingo and attitude to impress us with your bigotry, topped with the thinking of a mercenary.

Duties with you promise to be some of these rather "delightfull" experiences one remembers for years. Don't think much of the drinks though, because you'd never catch me dead with you anywhere.

It seems to me that your love for lebos and mid east types stems from your girlfriend/pet dog obviously giving in to their charms while you incubated your alcohol and deep inner stygmas.....

Would love to see how you feel if the indonesians bombed Sydney airport and blockaded all Auzzie ports, or if the germans bombed heathrow and did a north sea blockade as in WW2... But you probably prefer the comfort of your flamingo villas and the attention of a 20 year old stewardess...

Next....

boofta
14th Jul 2006, 01:44
Yes exactly Gnadenburg, thats why Iran is building nuclear weapons.
Still feeling smugly secure about Israel's position?
It's only time before this Islamist madness finally takes us back
to the dark ages- a pox on all religions!

sec 3
14th Jul 2006, 04:47
Hey Herbie, get a f..kin' life man:uhoh: Your eloquent little posts don't impress anybody.You wanna wind people up, go to the bar and do it and see what happens:E

Sztoggy
14th Jul 2006, 06:44
Yes exactly Gnadenburg, thats why Iran is building nuclear weapons.
Still feeling smugly secure about Israel's position?

Yes, especially since Israel already behold an illegal nuclear weaponery... (but nobody in the international community never said anything against this...)
I wish to all of you, that they'll never feel any aggression coming from your country.

Herbsnspices
14th Jul 2006, 08:19
Sec 3, I wouldn't even waste my breath on the likes of you.

Come along now and show us....Just pop your head out, and I'll have you out of where you are in less than 24 hours, with just your shirt on your back.

Want to bet?

Panama Jack
14th Jul 2006, 08:53
:sad:

Israel blasts Beirut airport for 2nd day
AP - 17 minutes ago

BEIRUT, Lebanon - Israel has widened its offensive on Lebanon, with fighter bombers blasting the airport for a second day, residential buildings in the southern suburbs of the capital, igniting fuel storage tanks and cutting the main highway to Syria. Three people were killed and 55 wounded in the airstrikes, police said Friday.

Meanwhile, Condolezza Rice urges Hezbollah to act responsibly and bring pressure on the militant group while urging Isreal to "exercise restraint." :yuk:

Sztoggy
14th Jul 2006, 09:10
Israel must invent dangers, and to do this it must adopt the method of provocation and revenge... And above all, let us hope for a new war with the Arab countries, so that we may finally get rid out of our troubles and acquire our space

Moshe Dayan, 26 may 1955

Once again, where exactly did the two Israelian got caught as prisonners ? In Israel, in Lebanon, or in the contested area of the Sheeba's farms ? This is the point, because there's a great difference between a Lebanese aggression in Israelian territory, and an attack against Israelian intruders within Lebanon borders...

Herbsnspices
14th Jul 2006, 09:15
Hi MC, that's right I am the one with the tight whip I kept whisking your brains with, remember? Want more obviously!

BEY Status:
Runways closed, fuel depot blown up, and miles of traffic with people trying to leave town or seek basic supplies.

Wonderfull in this day and age to see what Israel can bring this world!

But I have faith, Lebanese have been through this before and will survive it through, as Dante says "The blow that does not kill me only makes me stronger". I would doubt you would be able to see the same resilience if the same happened in England or France, where they couldn't even handle the heat last summer let alone a war threat like this one.:E

The israeli soldiers were caught inside lebanese territory, on a patrol outside the Sheba Valley, hence the squirmish and subsequent interception. For israel to admit this would be a negative PR coup and the attack is only a means by which it can save its image with the world's and it's own people's public opinion. As usual!

Grease for the hair will now be used for cooking.:ok:

Warlock2000
14th Jul 2006, 09:17
Mutley - well done! I don't see the relevance to aviation in debating ME politics here either.:ok:

4HP - If ever a thread deserved to be closed, this is it.

Herbsnspices
14th Jul 2006, 09:27
Warlock 2000, let him be mate....if that is what he lilkes to think then be it.

We all know what this will mean operationally with the contingency plans coming into effect in the region.

Thousands of people are now stranded at airports, everwhere around the world as a result of this attack. Families, children and elderly, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Oman, Damascus, Larnaca, Sydney, Melbourne to name but a few.

No passengers being accepted with final destination BEY.

Additional stress for everyone, Larnaca congested, Damascus blocked, where does it get us?

Disaster,

Thank you Israel, right or wrong you have managed to screw everyone's summer up. Talking of summer surprises!:sad:

Muttley Crew
14th Jul 2006, 09:30
Wonderfull in this day and age to see what Israel can bring this world!Just for you, Herps, my political view:

They're only trying to ensure their survival. As they say, the best defence is a good offence. :=

Meanwhile, thanks for the comprehensive update on the airport situation.....:ok:

Gonna be hard doing a greaser in Beirut when they finish doing their best with the craters and a bulldozer... Might even rival Peshawar!!!

Edited to add:
Thousands of people are now stranded ... as a result of this attack .... (from) .... Sydney, Melbourne to name but a few.
Hey wouldn't it be wonderful if the Cronulla heroes were amongst those stuck at OLBA, never to riot again?!?!

Panama Jack
14th Jul 2006, 09:36
What I find even more distrubing, and as further evidence to Israel's wanton irresponsibility, is that this year was expected to be the best year yet for Lebanon's tourism industry. I expect that the most significant damage has been done to that by now, and most tourists will simply cancel their plans to visit Lebanon.

At my airline, operations to Beirut have been cancelled and we are not overflying Lebanese airspace as a precaution.

This is a shame. After so many years of violence and a civil war that left swaths of Beirut in ruins, the Lebanese people deserve better. Thanks to the generosity of Rafik Hariri, parts of Beirut were restored to their former glory and Beirut again became synonymous with night-life, entertainment and tourism rather than it's unenviable reputation during the 80's as a war zone.

These armed actions have taken away from the Lebanese people an opportunity to prosper in peace. Where the opportunity to make a better life through tourism, when a country is attacked like this, where will newly unemployed Lebanese turn to? Hardly a smart move for towards a sustainable peace.

ZigZagZog
14th Jul 2006, 11:36
One of the key effects of all this has been renewed vigour for oil price rises... and will have a key effect on all airlines business - already suffering as it is!

This will hit us all directly in our pockets with reduced or nil bonuses....:sad:

Sztoggy
14th Jul 2006, 11:44
This will hit us all directly in our pockets with reduced or nil bonuses....:sad:

Maybe my granny can try to collect some money from her friends that will soon have to sell their appartment in BEY, with this, a bonus compensation can be created. I'm sure that Lebanese people could be very generous with the worldwide crews that are affected by this crisis.

Pass-A-Frozo
14th Jul 2006, 13:04
I think you'll find they have bombed the airport for the 3rd time.

Earl
14th Jul 2006, 14:33
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,203473,00.html
Looks like the USA are making contingency plans for evacuation of the Americans in case the situation gets worse.
Also a nice film clip on http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/14/mideast/index.html saying that if needed this would be done be US Marines using helicopters to ships off shore since the runways are out.

4HolerPoler
14th Jul 2006, 18:25
Sorry guys, been out of circulation for a while - amazing isn't it - like flies to a turd - our resident bunch of non-aviation activists jump on their bandwagon. No more non-aviation crud on this thread please; go to JB if you need to vent the ol' spleen.

4HP

Panama Jack
14th Jul 2006, 21:38
Doesn't look all that good. Watching the news this evening, it seems like some very precise bombing along the centerline of the runways in OLBA. Counted at least 3 or 4 well-spaced bomb craters along the two runways that are situation to the west of the Terminal. I imagine the east side runway is in similar shape.

Earl
14th Jul 2006, 21:59
Hope I did not piss off the moderator here. Nope, not at all Earl - it's the soapbox crowd who roll out their particular political or social grievance who don't belong here. 4HP
Just wanted to point out that the USA will use helicopters to get the US people out if the situataion gets worse.
Runways are out of service.
I did hear that there is one USA Tristar Captain that is stuck there.
Hope he gets out OK.
Best of luck guy and to any other crew members stuck there.

Fox3snapshot
14th Jul 2006, 22:20
PJ, yup agree, although the media claim rocket attack...not convinced myself.

I am thinking Popeye-Lite which is adapted for the F16 (or a common 'Goober') and would have suited this task very well, unfortunately!

The accuracy was very evident from the media footage, centerline, threshold and intersection hits. The fuel farms took absolute direct hits and very little damage to surrounding structure.....

Very sad day indeed for everyone concerned no matter which side of the fence.

I hope it to end soon for everybody's sake!

:suspect:

4x4
15th Jul 2006, 12:55
Just as a postscript, to my earlier ramblings, last November whilst on a night time IFR departure out of BEY, I was passing FL180, when some Hot Shot Israeli Pilot decided to formate 100 metres away in my 2 o'clock position, and let off chaff flares............yeh really clever......frightenened the C**p out of my passengers,and me too.......and of course there was to be no retribution at all Tel Aviv wo0uld have just said mind your own business, as they are wont to do......is this the action of a fair democratic state, allowing it's military pilots to go spooking Civilian Aircraft, of a Neutral country registration, in some other countries Airspace......I think not.....can you imagine the depth and smell, if members of the French Airforce started doing that in LHR Airspace.........plus the fact of course that they may have opposition.......whereas the Lebanese are not so fortunate