PDA

View Full Version : Slow start up with Zone Alarm & AVG antivirus

GMS
12th Jul 2006, 17:38
I wonder if someone has any ideas as to why my computer takes so long to start now that I have removed Norton Systemworks and Firewall, and replaced it with Zone Alarm and AVG antivirus. I have a Samsung Centrino laptop. From pressing the On button to having a working desktop is almost 5 minutes!!!

Help greatly appreciated.

GMS

Saab Dastard
12th Jul 2006, 17:43
Have a look to see what is set to start automatically at startup, and also how they are configured - are you running an AV scan every time you start up?

There was a thread recently about slow starting - might be worth reading through that and seeing if any suggestions are applicable.

SD

Saab Dastard
12th Jul 2006, 19:53
Almost certainly a Zone Alarming problem - see here (http://www.castlecops.com/modules.php?&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=787499).

frostbite
12th Jul 2006, 19:54
Are there any leftover references in the Registry to stuff that's no longer there?

GMS
12th Jul 2006, 20:16
I have just installed Startup Inspector for Windows, where I have deselected several programs that start up on turning on the computer. Not many though. After having done this it starts up fine. So there you go.

Many thanks to all of you.

GMS