PDA

View Full Version : Not A Glurge

doubledolphins
12th Jul 2006, 10:46
Just learned what a "glurge" is and this is not one. Just been watching the "All Star Game". (I know a self respecting cricket playing Brit should have nothing to do with baseball but I spend a lot of time in the US.) The game opened with both the Canadian and US National Anthems. This is perfectly normal for domestic sport over there. Then there was an "honor guard" of Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and Airforce and a Finger Four fly past of Pensylvania ANG A10s. Then, and this is my point, Service Personell "recently returned form active service overseas" were introduced to the crowd. They got a fantasic reception. Could you imagine this sort of thing at the Cup Final? Or the Community Shield in a couple of weeks time? No, of course not. I am not realy sure if we would want it. But it certainly shows that things are very different over there. Often at high profile "Society" sporting events, such as Wimbledon, Chelsea pensioners are invited along in there best scarlet and long may that continue. How about a few complimentaries for serving personnel? Or is the security risk too high?

FFP
12th Jul 2006, 11:12
May want to post this / link it to the UK Airport thread

Wycombe
12th Jul 2006, 11:43
Have been on the Western side of the Atlantic a couple of times this year (US & Canada) and was impressed by the outpouring of public support for the Military (it seemed to a lesser extent in Canada, but still a lot more than you'd see in the UK). In Florida, it seemed like every other car had the yellow ribbon "support our troops" sticker on it. Lots of national flags being displayed from houses/in front gardens etc. also.

I know we Brits are more reserved about these things, but just because you may not agree with what the Govt send our troops to do, that is no reason at all not to support the guys and girls that have to do it....

RayDarr
12th Jul 2006, 15:28
It is a sad reflection on the UK that some local authorities have threatened to prosecute people for flying the Union Flag without planning permission, while others have been threatened with prosecution for flying the flag, as it is (apparently) a provocation to ethnic minorities.
It sometimes makes you wonder why we bother don't it?