PDA

View Full Version : SO Duties and Flight & Duty time limitations

machten
11th Jul 2006, 23:19
Can anyone point me where I can find (or better yet answer) more info on the following subjects? I tried the search function with no luck.

1. Besides, "to act as a relief cruise pilot", what other duties are expected of SO's? (as per the job description or the CX FOM)

2. What are the flight and duty time limitations for CX crews (especially for ULH flights)? I'm only familiar with the FAA regulations. Is it similar?

Thanx guys

WaldoPepper
13th Jul 2006, 03:42
machten,

There are not really any other duties other than what you mentioned. Cruise pilot means you do the radios, log fuel checks, monitor stuff, drink coffee. They are the PNF duties. If you are in the RHS, as a SO you can also do PF duties which means you control the autopilot, setup escape routes in the FMS and check WX along the way in case we have to divert.

SO can only be PF in the RHS now so you can go for quite a while (depending on whether the FO or CPT is doing the sector) before you get a PF sector.

Once you get CCQ's onto the A330, you'll be more involved in the pre-flight stuff as there are only 3 pilots.

Flight limits:
4 Pilots = 18 hrs Duty Time (can be extended by 2 hrs)
3 Pilots = 15 hrs Duty Time (can be extended by 3 hrs)
Not > 8 consecutive hours at the controls
Not > 10 total at the controls

machten
13th Jul 2006, 06:10
Thanks WP! Exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

Minimums!
16th Jul 2006, 19:20
Hi guys, aspiring cx pilot here looking for more general info on this stuff. Waiting for flight grading with the cadet pilot program right now.

As far as the duty period, how long would an SO find himself actually sitting in the RHS on a flight?

Also i see this talk about CCQ in the airbus fleet, are the chances of becoming an SO in the 744 fleet lower?

any info on how this stuff works is appreciated.

Im just trying to get a rough idea of what life as an SO would be with CX.

Thanks in advance.

Minimums!

captwawa
21st Jul 2006, 06:16
Just a quickie Waldo.... er um so to speak :)

I am wondering whether you used to fly at Hazeltons out of Sydney prior to (I am assuming) joining CX? I know it sounds like a question from left field but it was worth a shot.

I used to work at ZL - just trying to put a face to a name - well nickname at the very least.

Thanks

wawa

betaboy
22nd Jul 2006, 10:56
To answer Minimums' question:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=230291

The A340 vs. 747-400 decision is really the luck of the draw, though you can specify a preference and you may get what you want. If you get the Airbus, you don't actually get CCQ'd on the A330 until a year in.

On the seniority list today, there are 148 Airbus SOs (including CCQ'd ones) and 113 747-400 SOs, so I guess you could say that if things remain the same (which they never do, especially as the company has a big need to crew new 777s) you have a slightly higher chance of getting on the Bus.

Minimums!
22nd Jul 2006, 16:53
betaboy, thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Minimums!