12th Jul 2006, 02:07
No thanks. Certainly not without a helmet :=

chopper chix
12th Jul 2006, 05:31
wow thats exciting - not for me.... :ouch:

IFMU
13th Jul 2006, 01:01
It must be safe. It has training gear.

I think it is a mosquito. The version with the cockpit looks less scary, but it's the same stuff underneath.

I would love to fly it, but that would violate one of my cardinal rules: never fly a helicopter powered by a 2-stroke engine.

-- IFMU

See more, including some sporty video at:
http://www.innovator.mosquito.net.nz/mbbs2/index.asp

Dave_Jackson
13th Jul 2006, 18:52
John Uptigrove is the developer of the Mosquito. He is a 'no nonsense', 'no 'bull****' type of person. He has been developing and improving this helicopter for a long time. IMHO, his craft may restore some confidence in the mechanical reliability of ultra light helicopters that was lost during the era of the Mini 500.

One argument that can be made for a simple helicopter is that fewer parts should result in fewer breakdowns. An overworked engine will always represent a problem and John has gone through a number of different engines attempting to find the best.

Of course, poor assembly, poor maintenance, or poor piloting can break-up the best of craft.

TheMonk
13th Jul 2006, 20:15
I spoke with John when he first started flying his helo, when he only sold one aircraft. I found him to be a very bright guy and seamed to be very honest. At that time he was only asking something like $9kUS for a copy of the craft. Now it is upwards of $25kUS.

Da Monk
Regreting that I didn't get one at that time.

O27PMR
14th Jul 2006, 08:43
I always fly with a helmet. but it's still a big NO THANKS from me!!!:eek:

S70IP
14th Jul 2006, 11:03
"I would love to fly it, but that would violate one of my cardinal rules: never fly a helicopter powered by a 2-stroke engine."

Never fly a piston helicopter ever, let alone a two stroke!!!

Always a turbine

Flingwing207
14th Jul 2006, 12:57
Never fly a piston helicopter ever, let alone a two stroke!!!
Always a turbineI guess you don't like small helicopters, or would you be happy in a JetExec or turbine Mini-500?

I trust piston engines as much as turbines - they're all only as good as the pilot before you and the bloke what turns the wrenches. :ok:

Farmer 1
14th Jul 2006, 14:31
A couple of thoughts spring immediately to mind: I wonder what the c of g range is; and I wouldn't fancy doing a run-on landing.

Best of luck to the guy. Bet his ears are ringing.

Graviman
15th Jul 2006, 08:48
Cool - kindof reminds me of VS300 footage :ok: . I guess ultralights will become more popular, hence cheaper, so anyone making them safer has the right idea. That looks like a direct control head, with collective acting through rods above rotor - simple and effective.

Dave, what other features make this machine more reliable? Are there any ultralights with stiff rotors? I'm never sure whether to use the term rigid or (lead/lag) articulated - engineer's soln: invent terminology! ;)

Mart

g-mady
15th Jul 2006, 09:11
I would love to fly it! Youll never feel more freedom in the skies than with a machiene like that!
MADY

Wait - having second thoughts when I saw the swashplate was built with a few paperclips. Imagine a bird strike with that!

Dave_Jackson
15th Jul 2006, 16:49
Mart,

It has a very basic teetering rotor.

The United States - FAA ~ Ultralight (Part 103) (http://www.unicopter.com/A030.html#Ultralight) was never intended for rotorcraft. The maximum allowable empty weight is 254 lbs., and this leaves no room for 'extras'.

A 'rigid' rotor will give more control authority. However, a two-blade rotor with offset flapping hinges or a hub spring will result in 2/rev vibration. A three-blade rotor will overcome this vibration but it will also take the weight over 254 lbs.

Dave

Graviman
15th Jul 2006, 20:35
Dave, I'm curious by what you mean by basic teetering rotor. I couldn't see any apparent swashplate, so i assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the cyclic controlled the rotorhub (hence TPP) directly.

I was kinda hoping some of the gyro guys could help understand if this gives better control over cyclic swashplate for teetering. Swashplate cyclic pitch control is afterall a servo mech with associated delays and control laws. Besides, it strikes me as a good weight saving.

Mart

brett s
15th Jul 2006, 21:15
It's just running the blade pitch control rods inside the mast, same as several others have done (Enstrom comes to mind) - the swashplate will be pretty small & sitting underneath the mast.

Dave_Jackson
15th Jul 2006, 21:20
Mart,

The 'swashplate' is lower than normal.

From the Mosquito web site;

"Control Systems:

The control system is unique to the Mosquito. Main rotor control is achieved from the floor mounted joystick and collective through a control mixer in the base of the main mast, then through push tubes in the mast up to the base of the swash plate.

The swash plate is contained within the mast and is supported by a push tube located in the rotor shaft. Control rods on either side of the push tube transmit inputs through the rotor shaft to the control lever on top of the rotor shaft and then down to the blade pitch horns through pitch links."

Reference;

Here is Cicare's patent. (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%%2FPTO%%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN%2F5165854)

Here is Fetters patent. (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=swashplate&s2=Fetters.INNM.&OS=swashplate+AND+IN/Fetters&RS=swashplate+AND+IN/Fetters)

Dave

PPRuNe Radar
15th Jul 2006, 21:30
No license is required to fly the Mosquito Air or the Mosquito XEL in the US. A private fixed wing license is required to fly the Mosquito XE in the US.

Sounds like a variation on Darwin's Law ;)