PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Tiscali Broadband Homepage Setting

mazzy1026
11th Jul 2006, 15:12
Hello all,

I installed Tiscali broadband a couple of weeks ago, and in that time I have tried to remove their address from my IE6 homepage setting, without success. I have tried everything.

I even tried to edit the registry, but it wouldn't let me edit the IE homepage key, nor could I delete it. I even booted into safe mode and when I removed it, Tiscali software just put it back. It's so frustrating, when you change it in IE, hit apply, OK, the click the homepage button, it just comes straight back.

I emailed Tiscali about this and they asked me to contact a computer engineer - I told them "I am a computer software engineer, and this is an invasion of my computer/privacy".

To me it seems that the only way around this is if Tiscali brought out a patch to alter their software. I have had no replies as yet!

Any ideas? If poss, I am trying to avoid having to install third part software to solve the issue, but I will if I have to.

Thanks all,

Maz :ok:

Saab Dastard
11th Jul 2006, 16:51
Maz,

Can you go into Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings - are either of the Automatic Configuration check boxes ticked?

Also, in the registry, search for all instances of "Start Page" and "Local Page" and note what and where they are.

You do have sufficient rights to modify the registry?

SD

airborne_artist
11th Jul 2006, 16:53
Why not just use Firefox instead? Could you uninstall IE6 completely from your PC, and then install a "fresh" copy. Would the Tiscali registry settings be retained after an uninstall?

mazzy1026
11th Jul 2006, 19:02
Can you go into Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings - are either of the Automatic Configuration check boxes ticked?

None of them are ticked, the default connection is the broadband dial-up for Tiscali.

Also, in the registry, search for all instances of "Start Page" and "Local Page" and note what and where they are.

Done that, and it won't let me change/delete them unless in safe mode, and they just revert back anyway.

You do have sufficient rights to modify the registry?
Yes, this is my home computer and I have full admin...

Why not just use Firefox instead? Could you uninstall IE6 completely from your PC, and then install a "fresh" copy. Would the Tiscali registry settings be retained after an uninstall?

I suppose I could do that yes, but it's so frustrating - why should I have to change my browser just because Tiscali choose to hi-jack it?

Thanks for the responses so far :ok:

Saab Dastard
11th Jul 2006, 19:49
Maz,

Delving a little deeper, I think that there is a registry setting that needs to be modified to allow the default homepage to be changed - system policy may have been altered by Tiscali to prevent it being changed.

Bit naughty of them, if so.

The MS KBase article here (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320159) should help.

Cheers

SD

BLUE SKY THINKER
11th Jul 2006, 20:00
mazzy 1026 . . . . .

Are you "always on" broadband, or do you connect each time with username/password?

BLUE SKY THINKER
11th Jul 2006, 21:08
mazzy 1026 . . . . .

Rather than wait for a reply, having had another look at your posts, possibly the latter.

This is a very long shot. ...I can think of all sorts of reasons why it wont work, but I have done something similar in the past - not Tiscali - and it did.

How about going to 'Network Connections', right-click your present Tiscali connection to gather as much information about the connection as you can; phone number, etc. ...Then uninstall the Tiscali software completely and return to Network Connections and try and set up a manual broadband connection to Tiscali via 'New Connection Wizard'.

If successful the only downside might be if you use a Tiscali proprietary mail client, similar to the AOL set up. ...If so, you are going to have to move to Outlook Express or something similar. ...Internet Explorer will of course be free of the dreaded software.

Just a thought.

Bern Oulli
11th Jul 2006, 21:27
My missus had the same problem when she signed up with Tiscali. The software greys out the option in IE Tools/Options to specify your home page. It took the genius of Oulli the Younger to solve that one. Do you have "SpywareBlaster"? If not, get it. Under Tools/Misc IE Settings you will find a tick box marked "Disable the IE Home Page settings in the Internet Tools Control Panel". My money says that it will be ticked. Untick it - then you can reset your home page in IE Tools/Options. Job done.
As a bonus, on the same page of SpywareBlaster, you can re-write the lettering that appears on the IE title bar. Something rude perhaps.

BLUE SKY THINKER
11th Jul 2006, 22:12
There's something similar in Spybot, but didn't go there due to 'mazzy 1026's" reluctance to ".....install third party software to solve the issue.....".

In that program it's more to do with locking the host file against Homepage hijackers, rather than restrictions to Internet Explorer settings from 'current user', although the latter is available.

mazzy1026
12th Jul 2006, 08:03
Thanks Saab, I will try that one tonight...

BST - I dial up using a phone number and username/password. My fear of removing the Tiscali software, is that the modem will stop working....
When I mentioned third party software, I meant a piece of software specifically designed to do this (if you know what I mean). I already run Spybot and all the recommended spyware protection programs, and I have even tried your suggestion Bern, to no success.

Here is the second emai I received from them today:

>Thank you for contacting Tiscali Customer Support.
>
>After reading your e-mail, I see that the homepage of the internet explorer
>changes automatically.
>
>After an extensive research on the symptoms that you mentioned, I found that
>your computer is infected with Spyware. I request you to download anti-spyware
>software such as AdAware, from the following link and after installation,
>scan your computer for spywares:
>
>http://www.download.com/3405-8022-5153545.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5
>
>You can also visit the following link that will help you step-by-step to
>use the Adware on your computer:
>
>http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial48.html
>
>http://tinyurl.com/s8o4c
>
>Note: The link above will take you to a non Tiscali's Web site. Tiscali
>does not control and is not responsible for information outside of the Tiscali's
>Web site.
>
>In case the issue persists, I request you to get in touch with your computer
>manufacturer, so that this issue can be checked upon & some advanced steps
>to resolve this issue can be provided.
>
>
>Regards,
>
>Tiscali Customer Support

To which my reply was:

I find this quite patronising to be honest - I run every possible program against spyware, including Adaware. This is not an issue or a problem/bug, it is happening as a mere result of your software, which when loaded, changes the homepage value in the registry automatically. I don't know how you can say my computer is infected with spyware when you don't know anything about it! The only spyware I have on it appears to be Tiscali!

:mad:

Thank's guys...:ok:

PPRuNe Pop
12th Jul 2006, 17:36
This is just like AOL all over again. They got a massive fine in the US for 'taking over' pooters.

Let us hope somone picks this up and exposes this practice.

mazzy1026
12th Jul 2006, 18:10
Pop - I can't stand AOL, so I hope you are right on the fact that this can be eradicated before it becomes another similar situation..

Speechless - Ahh, yes I have, only a few days ago too - I am guessing if this is the case, then ZoneAlarm will have something to say about it - I will look into it!

Cheers,

Saab Dastard
12th Jul 2006, 19:52
http://www.castlecops.com/modules.php?&name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=787499

mazzy1026
13th Jul 2006, 08:03
It was Zonealarm!

I completely removed it from my system last night, and to my disbelief all was ok with IE. I updated the windows firewall and am using that at the moment (I know I know, terrible of me but is it really that bad?)

Actually, since removing ZA I have noticed a massive improvement in system performance, including quicker web pages and no more system hangs (had a few of these in the last few days). I find it strange how every couple of years or so, a firewall becomes useless/(not as good as it used to be) - a perfect example is Sygate, used to use that all that time, then ZA came out, and now it appears to be flawed. Saying that, if ZA could release a patch to fix all these problems.......:confused:

What's your opinions on the Window's firewall?

I think I owe Tiscali an apology :bored:

Thanks for all your help,