View Full Version : What roles exist in the freight world?

sonypc100
11th Jul 2006, 09:45
Hi

As this particular section of the forum is described as "Freight Dogs is for pilots and crew who operate mostly without SLF."......what would the role of the crew be?

Do most freight flights carry a crew member on the a/c as well as the Capt and F/O?

If so where are such jobs advertised?

Cheers

Rich

Flip Flop Flyer
11th Jul 2006, 10:18
Quite a few of the older types carry a FE. Some also carry a Load Master, but those positions are getting rare. To get a job as a LM you'll have to join a very long line, and without prior and extensive experience you're looking at a trip up shyte river without a paddle! Some jobs have been advertised on this very site, but again experience was required - as well as a willingness to fly into war zones. Apart from that, word of mouth rules. It is, as it often is, as much a question of what you know as who you know.

I've never heard of any freight airline carrying a biscuit chucker though; that role is usually reserved for the LM if one is onboard. Otherwise it's DIY.

Intruder
11th Jul 2006, 15:03
Often a ground maintenance person is carried in addition to the FE, especially to places off the company's standard routes. Animal handlers and couriers for special-handling goods as well.

clicker
12th Jul 2006, 08:22
Plus the odd ramp rat thats got locked inside by accident. :\

Rhoda Horswunce
5th Aug 2006, 19:54
"...a ground maintenance person.."! Fantastic!

I now have visions of some Columbo-coat-wearing scruffy individual who's obviously considered as an unwanted and superfluous piece of sh**e just sat there being quiet and doing what he's told by another airframe driver. LoL!

Do everybody a favour - call a spade a spade will you!?...

I think he meant 'an engineer'!:rolleyes:

Taikonaut
6th Aug 2006, 19:48
We call them Ride-On Mechanics or Flight Mechanics.

They fix and sign-off whatever we (Flight Crew) write in the log book and get the a/c moving while at the off-route out stations. Of course we also carry a complete FAK on all our birds. :ok:

CR2
6th Aug 2006, 20:04
We call them Flight Mechanics too. We have a great bunch of guys. L/Ms and F/Ms usually work as a team at some awfull places. They help me, learn a thing or two. I help them, learn a thing or two. Usual result: mutual understanding/respect goes up.

The nice thing in the cargo world is that there are few pretenders. No pax to impress...

:hmm: