PDA

View Full Version : Direct Air Chieftain down on BTI

Pharcarnell
11th Jul 2006, 01:34
Just heard from Aunty. Chieftain went in on take-off, pilot OK.

No more for now.

tinpis
11th Jul 2006, 02:33
Lady pilot unhurt taken to clinic.
Didnt mention any pax

victor two
11th Jul 2006, 03:28
Quick.. a plane crash, can I be the first one to start posting ridiculous condolence comments, which seems to be all the rage these days -

My heartfelt prayers are with the relatives of anyone even remotely involved in the accident at this time.

(Hang on, noone was reported killed or badly injured)

May you all rest in peace and dance among the flowers of heaven. Words cannot express my sympathy to the families of the passengers.........

(Vic, just hang on, there were no passengers mentioned in the report)

Words cannot express the pain that I feel in my soul for those who have had loved ones taken...no.... snatched away by this horrific tragedy

(But Vic, noone was killed that we know of, why are you doing this?)

My heart hangs like a lead weight, god speed to you my dearly departed loved ones. Bless you, walk with the lord by your side, walk on walk on ......

(Vic, you didn't even know anyone in this prang, stop being an idiot!)

Sorry but it gets a bit like that on pprune sometimes at the slightest sniff of an accident. Just wanted to get in first!

forgetabowdit
11th Jul 2006, 04:34
(Hang on, noone was reported killed or badly injured)
(Vic, just hang on, there were no passengers mentioned in the report)
(But Vic, noone was killed that we know of, why are you doing this?)
(Vic, you didn't even know anyone in this prang, stop being an idiot!)
So save us from your irreverent dribble ya drip. No one has been pooring heart felt emotions over this. Looked a bit more reporting the facts to me.
If people did exceed your ideal emotional response over an incident that claimed a life, be it someone known to them or not, then yr comments on the posting of 'rediculous condolence comments' don't seems so rediculous...
Or could be just me.:oh:

Capt Claret
11th Jul 2006, 05:50
Report on Aunty's web site (as @ 1137 CST) says pilot not hurt, aeroplane badly damaged, Nguiu airstrip closed.

Was this the same aircraft that had undercarriage problems and returned to DRW on Sun morning, to hold over Sadgroves creek area so that "the other pilots who live in that area" could check to see if the U/C was down?

VH-XXX
11th Jul 2006, 06:04
Anyone got the rego? Was it DTF?

pakeha-boy
11th Jul 2006, 06:16
Victor two.......see a doctor:ugh:

Waka Rider
11th Jul 2006, 06:27
Victor Two just go play with yourself next time you begin to think ow

nohumbug
11th Jul 2006, 07:30
Sooo Jeff, are you going to inform the press in Melbourne .....or should we ???

Another "birdstrike" ????

Captain Nomad
11th Jul 2006, 07:51
Victor Two, have you actually lost anyone you know in an aviation accident? Some of us have - several times over - and know how shocking and painful it can be and are therefore a bit more sympathetic and less judgemental. It is a small industry and therefore it is also more likely that personal conections exist with the victim.

I guess some of us may value life and regret loss when it happens rather than viewing it as a cold Darwinian survival of the fittest and tough luck to those genes now removed from the gene pool...

Maybe after your heart gets re-inserted into your chest you may find a more fitting comment...

Back to the topic - glad to hear that this episode may have only resulted in a bent aeroplane, not lives.

Howard Hughes
11th Jul 2006, 08:02
Victor two.......see a doctor:ugh:Better still see a vet...;)

Waka Rider
11th Jul 2006, 08:26
Nah Howard animals normally have better morales, think Victor's better suited to an Arse Doctor ow

Slab
11th Jul 2006, 09:06
'Runaway' elevator trim on takeoff won't do you any favours.... particularly in the nose-down direction.

No confirmation on rego. Maybe the $$$$ machine that came from Narrandera?

Pinky the pilot
11th Jul 2006, 10:29
Tinny; Lady Pilot? Good to hear she is unhurt. Would'nt be AW perchance?

Pass-A-Frozo
11th Jul 2006, 10:30
elevator trim on takeoff won't do you any favours.... particularly in the nose-down direction Dunno , I guess it depends when .. but I'd think I'd prefer that than full nose up. :confused:

sheez Victor Two.. and I thought I upset the locals around here!

victor two
11th Jul 2006, 10:38
OK I apologise............ sorry if it was really that offensive.

BARON DRIVER
11th Jul 2006, 11:39
Victor two, D**khead

MIss Behaviour
11th Jul 2006, 12:17
Footage on ABC News Darwin (Tue 11 Jul) showed the rego as being VH-NPD.

yowie
11th Jul 2006, 14:19
Glad to hear pilot OK,but how much did they pay for the experience?:hmm:
(should be able to manually over-ride trim run away!)

AirSic
11th Jul 2006, 15:46
Never flown one, but would a "runaway" elevator trim catch you out that quickly, and can you over-ride one manually? How does a trim get to "runaway"? I would have thought that the slip stream would keep it in check and if it failed gravity would pull it down creating a nose high attitude.
Professionally curious.... how does this happen?

tinpis
11th Jul 2006, 20:41
Pilot walks away from 'little bingle'
By GREG McLEAN
12jul06

A TERRITORY pilot escaped unharmed after her plane careered off the end of the runway during an aborted takeoff yesterday.

The pilot of the DirectAir twin-engine Piper PA31-350 was about to take off from Nguiu airport at Bathurst Island at 8.30am yesterday when she noticed an ``abnormality'' with the plane that could not be identified.

As a precaution the pilot aborted the takeoff but ran out of runway and came to rest in a ditch.

The nose of the aircraft smashed into the runway, pushing the front wheel up into the fuselage.

Despite the dramatic attempted takeoff the pilot walked free from the plane shaken, but unharmed.
There were no passengers onboard because the pilot was returning to base in Darwin after dropping off passengers at Nguiu.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau is investigating the incident. The plane remains grounded at Nguiu.

DirectAir spokesman Gray Smithe said the airline was helping investigators to find out the source of the problem.

``We pride ourself on our safety record and want to get to the bottom of what caused the abnormality,'' he said.

``The pilot was naturally a little shaken but she followed all the right procedures and essentially it was the equivalent of a little bingle you might have in your vehicle.''

Mrs Tin has never bought the car home from the shops looking as shagged as that Chieftan does.

Just as well there was a nice long sealed runway.

http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,19762696,00.html
http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,19762696,00.html

The Voice
11th Jul 2006, 22:12
I'd be worrying about the road just at the end of the runway Tinny, a big red dirt one, that's usually got people on it .. :bored:

but, well done to the pilot ..

tinpis
11th Jul 2006, 22:19
Looked like it made the road Voicey :uhoh:

The Voice
11th Jul 2006, 22:30
Wonder if the usual gallery was there - lots of witnesses - wonder if they'll get them to talk?? ;)

chief wiggum
11th Jul 2006, 23:04
Wonder if the usual gallery was there - lots of witnesses - wonder if they'll get them to talk??

I can just imagine :

hey... reporta fellah! for a few of dem green canz, I tell ya what ya want to know!
for some "lady-inna-boat", I tell ya want ya wanna hear!

nohumbug
11th Jul 2006, 23:54
nah , probably another bagstr.. oops i mean birdstrike. Another one of those kites pecking open the nose locker again...

better replace that missing star off the front of the building ...some might think its the one for safety...or maybe integrity ....

Peter Fanelli
12th Jul 2006, 00:52
Footage on ABC News Darwin (Tue 11 Jul) showed the rego as being VH-NPD.

Dammit why do people keep wrecking the planes I used to fly?

tinpis
12th Jul 2006, 01:12
I wouldnt want the bill for the recovery of it. :uhoh:

pistol night
12th Jul 2006, 06:03
``We pride ourself on our safety record and want to get to the bottom of what caused the abnormality,''

and while we're on the topic of being proud of things we don't have, i would like to announce to the world that i am extremely happy with the Boeing 737 Personal Business Jet i dont have to fly me around the world on my days off :}

Pinky the pilot
12th Jul 2006, 08:07
VH-NPD; An ex Airlines of SA Chieftain. :{ :{
Used to be quite pleasant to fly.

lahso29
12th Jul 2006, 10:45
so many accusations and opinions without a factual base.
..........................idiots:=

pilot was a high experienced charter pilot who didnt paid for her job or icus.

morno
12th Jul 2006, 11:27
Knowing the girl in question, I am offended that most ppruners have jumped on the usual pprune bandwagon and done nothing but bag out the company involved, and the poor girl involved as well.

She is one of high professionalism, and well experienced. She has not paid for any job.

It is an aircraft accident, does it really make any difference who she works for?? If this were someone in your own company, would you start bagging the poor pilot in question? I very much doubt it.

Grow up people, and just be thankful that no one was killed here. She handled the situation probably about as good as anyone else would have.

morno

gassed budgie
12th Jul 2006, 11:58
Sorry but it gets a bit like that on pprune sometimes at the slightest sniff of an accident. Just wanted to get in first!

I'm with Vic.

Charliethewonderdog
12th Jul 2006, 14:20
Little Bingle?????http://ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,19762696%255E13569,00.html

``The pilot was naturally a little shaken but she followed all the right procedures and essentially it was the equivalent of a little bingle you might have in your vehicle.''

Looked like a lot of nose up trim from the photo's in the paper. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Sorry tin I didn't see your links.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
12th Jul 2006, 14:59
Dear 'Airsic'........

IT happens because the now VERY well known THRONOMISTER... (Apols to a VERY senior member)... cable became entangled with the lower left arm cable of the forward locker cable, thus causing the REAR locker to OPEN, and, DEFYING the forces of GRAVITY - thus causing the nose of the aircraft to operate in the opposite direction to that which the pilot was intending - at the appropriate times - pushing / pulling at the most inappropriate times - and in the corresponding opposite directions at the time of the opposite forces acting at the appropriate time...

Do ya see it now???

PM me if ya haven't!!!!!!
:ok: :ok:

Capt Claret
12th Jul 2006, 16:08
From the ABC Web Site.

Last Update: Wednesday, July 12, 2006. 5:50pm (AEST)
CASA blames pilot for Tiwi Is crash

A report by the Civil Aviation Authority (CASA) has blamed pilot error for a plane crash on the Tiwi Islands, north of Darwin, yesterday.

The twin Piper Chieftain was extensively damaged when it overshot the runway at Nguiu after dropping off a passengers from Darwin.

The pilot walked away unhurt but the plane has sustained tens of thousands of dollars' worth of damage.

CASA says the pilot aborted her take-off after using all of the runway.

It found the aircraft was in good working order and put the accident down to human error.

Now this would have to be an all time record. Just over 24hours from accident to a completed investigation and findings issued. And since when does CASA investigate accidents. I thought that was the province of the ATSB.

Much of this thread makes me really proud to be an Aussie pilot - NOT. Empathy, understanding, acceptance that all people make mistakes. I hope some of you don't live in glass houses. :{

Peter Fanelli
12th Jul 2006, 20:40

Used to be DAMN pleasant to fly.

compressor stall
12th Jul 2006, 22:34
Better off the end at 20knots than 500m away, upside down (or right side up) at 90+knots.....

lahso29
13th Jul 2006, 13:16
From the ABC Web Site.

Now this would have to be an all time record. Just over 24hours from accident to a completed investigation and findings issued. And since when does CASA investigate accidents. I thought that was the province of the ATSB.

i have noticed that ABC has retracted that report. As it turns out there is no "CASA report"
When will the media report on fact insetad of fiction???????
and CASA im sure would not be happy about ABC's false statements????

pakeha-boy
13th Jul 2006, 16:25
.....bottom line ,the pilot is okay,....will get to fly another day.....will certainly learn from something this,....but she,s alive and hopefully well and in good spirits.....ex-areoplanes become beer cans and thats also good......

.for those of you lucky enough not to have been in an accident,you have no idea of what you are talking....trust me, it is a ****ty feeling(both ways)

ZK-NSN
13th Jul 2006, 23:00
"When will the media report on fact insetad of fiction???????"

Simple, when facts are more interesting and cause more sensation than fiction.
All you need to be a reporter these days is a mental disorder and a degree in the ancient art of bullsh1t. I'd beleive a used car salesman before a reporter.

MaryG
14th Jul 2006, 07:07
who was it?? was their first initial F??

Capt Claret
14th Jul 2006, 08:54
Mary :ok:

Pinky, sorry for the typo. Noticed it just as I was about to depart for the bar, and, well, departed for the bar. :}

Pass-A-Frozo
14th Jul 2006, 10:29
A good landing is a... err..

A good TAKEOFF is one you walk away from?? :)

lahso29
14th Jul 2006, 23:52
The NT News today:

"BLAMING PILOT A MISTAKE"

THE Civil Aviation Safety Authority has withdrawn a statement blaming an accident at Nguiu airport this week on pilot error.

A DirectAir twin engine charter plane ran off the end of the runway and into a ditch on Bathurst Island, after the pilot noticed an 'abnormality' that could not be identified and aborted the take-off.

An earlier statement blaming pilot error for the incident was retracted by CASA yesterday.

"CASA have not yet issued a report about the accident and not made an official statement about the cause of the accident" the authority said.

hmm the media's attempt at an apology after publishing false information.

Pinky the pilot
15th Jul 2006, 03:39
If I were the Pilot concerned I would definitely be consulting a reputable Solicitor re the now withdrawn press release.
It quite possibly could have been actionable, and she deserves imho at the very least a published apology.

Clarrie; Nurries! The Bar is far more important!!

Trash Hauler
15th Jul 2006, 05:31
Did CASA make a press release or did the press ask a CASA representative for opinion and thus get the answer?

TH

apache
15th Jul 2006, 13:31

yes, not a bad old bird at all

nohumbug
10th Aug 2006, 03:51
Not an appropriate suggestion/accusation to be making on this website. Do it again and you will be taking a rest.

Woomera