PDA

View Full Version : Gallstones / H.pylori

VNAVSPD
10th Jul 2006, 10:51
I hold a JAR-FCL PPL(A) and class II medical.

Made a visit to my GP today regarding some pain in the abdomen and he thinks that I may have Gallstones or something about H.pylori??

What do I need to do regarding my medical? Do I need to notify anyone???

airbus2boeing
11th Jul 2006, 13:06
If they're not asking for it, don't report it. Honesty is not the best policy sometimes.

2IC
16th Jul 2006, 23:13
I don't know how bad your pain was, but I had gallstones for years, in what was diagnosed as irritable bowel syndrome at the time, and it increased in intensity over the years and in the last 12 months, was crippling when I got an attack. It was truly debilitating and I couldn't have driven a car, let alone have flown anything. The attacks came on very quickly.

When the correct diagnosis was finally made, an operation quickly followed and the change was immediate and permanent. No more "irritable bowel" problems!! No more incapacity as a result of pain. An amazingly easy fix after years of pain.

I told the story because I am concerned at the suggestion that you shouldn't report it. Safety is too important to be trifled with. That's my opinion.

BelfastChild
16th Jul 2006, 23:23
get an abdo ultrasound

Seat1APlease
16th Jul 2006, 23:56
Helicobacter Pylorii is a bacterium which is associated with Stomach/duodenal ulcers.

It used to be necessary to insert an endoscope into the stomach to test for it, but nowadays there are other much simpler tests such as blowing into a tube or even blood tests.

If you have it, and it is surprisingly common, then it can be eliminated with a couple of weeks of antibiotics.

Your licencing authority may ground you for a few days until they see how you respond to the antibiotics, but it isn't a big thing.

Dont ignore it, it isn't worth ending up with bleeding ulcers, and diverting to some god-forsaken hospital in the middle of nowhere.

VNAVSPD
17th Jul 2006, 01:36
Well things have got worse and this is definitely something that I cannot ignore.

I had an "attack" yesterday that was unbelievably painful. The pain steadily increased over a period of about 45minutes and left me crawling around on all fours for nearly half an hour. It felt like something in my stomach had gone into cramp and the pain was stabbing through to my back.

Flying is definitely out of the question!

Still waiting for the results of my stool sample :( :( :(

BelfastChild
17th Jul 2006, 04:12
Dont ignore it, it isn't worth ending up with bleeding ulcers, and diverting to some god-forsaken hospital in the middle of nowhere.

or god forbid, a patient in the NHS.......:eek:

tezzer
17th Jul 2006, 07:10
I''m in a similar position, not with Gall sotnes but Kidney stone(s). Back in 1993 I had a VERY painful experience with a kidney stone that tried to work it's way out, got stuck, and blocked the tube out of my kidney. I cannot begin to describe the pain, which lasted 3 days, and was treated with morphine injections (wow !).

Just had my class 2 medical, and as it's on my notes as an occurence worthy of note, I have to have ultrasounds and X-rays tomorrow, to see if there are any there. If not, fine, but if there are I have to have them broken up, and remain stone free. Until that time, I can't do my 1st solo (which I was ready for after 7 hours of instruction), and can only fly with my instructor. So, my PPL (A) is held up now, because of an insident that took place 13 years ago !
I can however see the CAA's logic on this one, as if I did have an attack, in flight, the last thing on my mind would be a nice safe landing. Sounds similar to gall stones in that respect in that the pain is quick to come on, and completely debilitating.

Fingers crossed for my scans tomorrow !

VNAVSPD
17th Jul 2006, 10:04
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Tezzer!

2IC
17th Jul 2006, 23:25
It was the abdominal ultrasound that finally allowed the correct diagnosis of my problems and led to the removal of my gallbladder (keyhole surgery). I worried about that - an operation etc, but it was fantastic, very quick recovery and no more attacks meant I could conduct a normal life again.

Question: does the pain happen within an hour of food, especially fatty food? I hadn't cooked with fat or oil for years, so it mostly happened to me when I was out (and was therefore at the least convenient times). How many times did I have to leave a restaurant or theatre immobilised by pain before I gave up trying. The last and worst attack was on an international airline flight. I spent what felt like most of the flight in the toilet there, doubled up with pain.

tezzer
18th Jul 2006, 10:57
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Tezzer!

Well the good news is that I am currently stonefree !

Just gottat work out what the abnormality on my ECG is, but reading another thread in here I wonder about the effects of metal inside the body. I have an elbow pinned and plated,so lets hope its that thats squewing the readings !

BelfastChild
18th Jul 2006, 12:25
I have an elbow pinned and plated,so lets hope its that thats squewing the readings !

I'd be surprised if that had anything to do with it.......